Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney+ Removal Exemplifies a growing problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has pushed many bad decisions onto Tesla’s engineers and their customers in recent years. Since his purchase of Twitter, Tesla has suffered from his distractions and weird conspiracy beliefs. The recent removal of the Disney+ app from Tesla vehicles is a direct result of Elon’s beef with Disney for their decision to pull ads from Twitter. What does that have to do with Tesla customers? Tesla owners aren’t blaming Disney for this. It’s not our responsibility to be used as puppets in Elon’s business debates. He’s taken money from Tesla to help with Twitter. He’s constantly distracted by his social behaviors. This is a growing issue for the future of Tesla. Customers and the company will continue to suffer because of issues happening outside of what Tesla is doing. This should never happen and it won’t stop as long as Elon is making the decisions. I will never invest in Tesla as long as he is involved. If I were an investor, I would be demanding that Elon step down or be voted out.

Why has this issue not been brought up on investor calls? Is the board even having discussions about these growing issues? Does Elon have too much influence on the board? Are investors ignoring it because the stock hasn’t moved much… yet?

I’m a fan of what Tesla has been doing for a long time, but the past few years have not been so great. Other manufacturers are bringing competitive vehicles to market and will soon be able to utilize the SuperCharger network. These other options are becoming more attractive because there is a much lesser risk of leadership at those companies negatively affecting the safety and features of the vehicle on-the-fly based on unrelated business beefs and personal beliefs. It’s time for Elon to go so that Tesla can move forward and stay competitive.

Elon has pushed many bad decisions onto Tesla’s engineers and their customers in recent years. Since his purchase of Twitter, Tesla has suffered from his distractions and weird conspiracy beliefs. The recent removal of the Disney+ app from Tesla vehicles is a direct result of Elon’s beef with Disney for their decision to pull ads from Twitter. What does that have to do with Tesla customers? Tesla owners aren’t blaming Disney for this. It’s not our responsibility to be used as puppets in Elon’s business debates. He’s taken money from Tesla to help with Twitter. He’s constantly distracted by his social behaviors. This is a growing issue for the future of Tesla. Customers and the company will continue to suffer because of issues happening outside of what Tesla is doing. This should never happen and it won’t stop as long as Elon is making the decisions. I will never invest in Tesla as long as he is involved. If I were an investor, I would be demanding that Elon step down or be voted out.

Why has this issue not been brought up on investor calls? Is the board even having discussions about these growing issues? Does Elon have too much influence on the board? Are investors ignoring it because the stock hasn’t moved much… yet?

I’m a fan of what Tesla has been doing for a long time, but the past few years have not been so great. Other manufacturers are bringing competitive vehicles to market and will soon be able to utilize the SuperCharger network. These other options are becoming more attractive because there is a much lesser risk of leadership at those companies negatively affecting the safety and features of the vehicle on-the-fly based on unrelated business beefs and personal beliefs. It’s time for Elon to go so that Tesla can move forward and stay competitive.
He doesn't take it lying down.

He would react to his opponents in one way or another: From cursing to hiding their apps.

Reactions: CGSVT-M3P

Your take from your viewpoint. I happen to have a different viewpoint, and generally have agreed with most of Musk's moves. In this case, it's clear that a pretty significant segment of the population already views Disney as not the company it once was, as evidenced by their many content failures and financial performance in 2023. I wouldn't front Disney either, though if customers really want it I'm glad they have the option.

Chill out, you can get it back easily...

From the article: “Critics argue that Musk's vendettas should not influence the offerings of a public company. The decision to remove Disney+ is already been criticized as a petty and juvenile reaction.”

This is the point. Whatever is going on between Elon, Twitter and Disney should not have anything to do with Tesla and owners options.

Can you imagine if Spotify had this happen? Would defenders of these actions shrug it off and refer to Bluetooth as a reasonable solution?

I do not think it’s okay to abuse OTA’s to remove options from customers over an external beef. Even if the option is just “hidden.” This should never happen. It raises a huge concern about what else could be changed or removed based on the whims of an unstable CEO.

From the article: “Critics argue that Musk's vendettas should not influence the offerings of a public company. The decision to remove Disney+ is already been criticized as a petty and juvenile reaction.”

This is the point. Whatever is going on between Elon, Twitter and Disney should not have anything to do with Tesla and owners options.

Can you imagine if Spotify had this happen? Would defenders of these actions shrug it off and refer to Bluetooth as a reasonable solution?

I do not think it’s okay to abuse OTA’s to remove options from customers over an external beef. Even if the option is just “hidden.” This should never happen. It raises a huge concern about what else could be changed or removed based on the whims of an unstable CEO.

If it didn't happen then how his enemies would accept who is the boss, or CEO, around here?

Unstable sounds like unpredictable but you got a CEO that is very stable in getting back at his enemies very predictably.

Take a look at the fight against a college student, listed in Forbes' 2023 30 Under 30 list, who tracked his private jets on Twitter.

After spending $44 billion, that dude was kicked out from Twitter at last!

A very stable CEO with consistent vendettas have brought victory after victory.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and cappy1

This argument is ridiculous prima facie. He owns a controlling interest in the company, and therefore he gets to decide within the legal boundaries. You own your dollars. You both have decisions to make. Your argument about what should be allowed is rather irrelevant. In this case, however, the decision was not to front-up Disney. If you want it, it's still there. As a non-Disney user (and non-Spotify for that matter) I'm rather pleased with these decisions.

This argument is ridiculous prima facie. He owns a controlling interest in the company, and therefore he gets to decide within the legal boundaries. You own your dollars. You both have decisions to make. Your argument about what should be allowed is rather irrelevant. In this case, however, the decision was not to front-up Disney. If you want it, it's still there. As a non-Disney user (and non-Spotify for that matter) I'm rather pleased with these decisions.
It’s not about what’s “allowed.” It’s about running a business. There are several aspects of the infotainment center that could be stripped down and made worse for us Tesla owners all because Musk decides on a whim that he wants to somehow punish a company for something unrelated to Tesla and their customers. That’s bad for business. It’s a bad image and creates hesitation for new customers and feeds the trolls who want to downplay the benefits of EVs.

My bad for not picking your favorite apps as what is being removed. I guess I would have to set the extreme example of every music and theater app being removed and for navigation to rely on open source map data as opposed to Google to maybe get you to understand the repercussions of these actions. But considering the responses from some of you, I doubt anything would get you to agree that any of this is a concern. I don’t need those of you in that category to agree with the risk involved here.

As customers we are going to be the ones who lose out; not the businesses who run the apps. And I guess until the stock starts to show the repercussions, investors will continue to ignore the bullshit.

It’s not about what’s “allowed.” It’s about running a business. There are several aspects of the infotainment center that could be stripped down and made worse for us Tesla owners all because Musk decides on a whim that he wants to somehow punish a company for something unrelated to Tesla and their customers. That’s bad for business. It’s a bad image and creates hesitation for new customers and feeds the trolls who want to downplay the benefits of EVs.

My bad for not picking your favorite apps as what is being removed. I guess I would have to set the extreme example of every music and theater app being removed and for navigation to rely on open source map data as opposed to Google to maybe get you to understand the repercussions of these actions. But considering the responses from some of you, I doubt anything would get you to agree that any of this is a concern. I don’t need those of you in that category to agree with the risk involved here.

As customers we are going to be the ones who lose out; not the businesses who run the apps. And I guess until the stock starts to show the repercussions, investors will continue to ignore the bullshit.
Again, not your decision about what’s bad for business. Your view is different than my view, which is in turn different from others.

However, I updated to 2023.44.30.2 last night and the app that you care so greatly for and the basis for your rant was still there. I’m not sure why there is a discrepancy in the reporting.

Again, not your decision about what’s bad for business. Your view is different than my view, which is in turn different from others.

However, I updated to 2023.44.30.2 last night and the app that you care so greatly for and the basis for your rant was still there. I’m not sure why there is a discrepancy in the reporting.
Clearly my point has gone over your head.

Specifically, with what do you not agree?
I guess I need to hold your hand, since you haven't learned that arguing with strangers on the internet is a fool's errand. I'll give you just 3 of your statements I disagree with.

Sentence 1: "Elon has pushed many bad decisions onto Tesla’s engineers and their customers in recent years. Since his purchase of Twitter, Tesla has suffered from his distractions and weird conspiracy beliefs."
You're blithely unaware that others don't necessarily view these as bad decisions, nor do you lay out this pattern. Next, you pretty much lied. Musk was very active on twitter prior to purchase, and I would not say these are distractions nor weird conspiracy beliefs. Your sentence 1 is purely your politics on display.

Example 2: "He’s taken money from Tesla to help with Twitter."
This is an unsubstantiated claim without evidence - what we used to call a lie before we called it gaslighting.

Example 3: "This is a growing issue for the future of Tesla. Customers and the company will continue to suffer because of issues happening outside of what Tesla is doing."
I fundamentally don't agree this is an issue, let alone a growing one. Who made you the police of when the customers and company are suffering? This is a quasi-communist call for action.

Could go on, but my grandfather implored me not to argue with people that need to be educated first. So I usually just make fun of them.

EDIT: Probably should have added that your whole point that you blew up into "suffering" for customers & company appears to be moot. I updated software last night, and your app is still there. You were wrong on first principles.

Last edited:
I guess I need to hold your hand, since you haven't learned that arguing with strangers on the internet is a fool's errand. I'll give you just 3 of your statements I disagree with.

Sentence 1: "Elon has pushed many bad decisions onto Tesla’s engineers and their customers in recent years. Since his purchase of Twitter, Tesla has suffered from his distractions and weird conspiracy beliefs."
You're blithely unaware that others don't necessarily view these as bad decisions, nor do you lay out this pattern. Next, you pretty much lied. Musk was very active on twitter prior to purchase, and I would not say these are distractions nor weird conspiracy beliefs. Your sentence 1 is purely your politics on display.

Example 2: "He’s taken money from Tesla to help with Twitter."
This is an unsubstantiated claim without evidence - what we used to call a lie before we called it gaslighting.

Example 3: "This is a growing issue for the future of Tesla. Customers and the company will continue to suffer because of issues happening outside of what Tesla is doing."
I fundamentally don't agree this is an issue, let alone a growing one. Who made you the police of when the customers and company are suffering? This is a quasi-communist call for action.

Could go on, but my grandfather implored me not to argue with people that need to be educated first. So I usually just make fun of them.

EDIT: Probably should have added that your whole point that you blew up into "suffering" for customers & company appears to be moot. I updated software last night, and your app is still there. You were wrong on first principles.
Okay. So you’re an admitted troll and have no value to add to the discussion. Got it. Thanks.

How about less personal sniping and more reasoned discussion in this thread.

Elon has pushed many bad decisions onto Tesla’s engineers and their customers in recent years. Since his purchase of Twitter, Tesla has suffered from his distractions and weird conspiracy beliefs. The recent removal of the Disney+ app from Tesla vehicles is a direct result of Elon’s beef with Disney for their decision to pull ads from Twitter.
As someone who has only driven Teslas for over a decade, and who is a long time shareholder, I agree with @KerrySkates. IMO there is no other logical way to interpret the recent removal of the Disney+ app from the Home Theater than as a petty move by Elon. Read the Walter Isaacson biography of Musk; that action is consistent with his mindset these days.

I would like to be wrong about this.
It could be related to this announcement in November. Or it could be childish billionaire spite.
I think the latter is more likely. I don’t see why that potential merger would be a logical reason for Tesla to do what it did.
Chill out, you can get it back easily...
That’s good to know. Personally I don’t care about Disney+ or the Tesla Home Theater software. I’ve never even opened it in my cars. But I do care about Tesla making compelling products and being responsive to the needs and desires of its customers. This recent move, while minor, makes no sense.