Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on Colbert Report (2014)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or the exchange about the wireless charging looked staged?? I know that Elon criticized the method as an inefficient before, but this exchange at the end of the segment made me think that something is possibly going on behind the scenes...

Just to clarify for those who might have missed the episode, the Mars link in the beginning of the thread is not what was aired on the show...

Is it just me, or the exchange about the wireless charging looked staged?? I know that Elon criticized the method as an inefficient before, but this exchange at the end of the segment made me think that something is possibly going on behind the scenes...

Just to clarify for those who might have missed the episode, the Mars link in the beginning of the thread is not what was aired on the show...

Well, JB Straubel has been positive on wireless, suggesting it's likely to become common for home charging and could go as high as 10kW. Given their work on auto-pilot and the fact that wireless charging is position-sensitive there's a synergy there.

This Colbert segment isn't worth chasing down if you missed it. Good for Elon about the free PR, but that's about it.

I thought Elon's comment that Mars was a "fixer upper" planet was hilarious and worth watching the whole interview for! That is an apt characterization of the planet: it is habitable but needs a LOT of work. Still, it's doable, and worth it because, you know, the price is right. Sure it's expensive to get there but once you get there the land and resources are free.

Considering Elon seems to be taking everything else that should have come to pass from Tesla and making it happen, wireless charging really is the Holy Grail of Tesla. And not this 1Ft distance crap, but miles.

There are some fundamental physical constraints that apply to that problem that are not a cause for optimism. My reading of Elon's expression when Colbert posed that challenge were "Okay that's not going to happen but I'll let Stephen have some fun with that idea, I'm going to stay focused on getting to Mars".

Elon has used the sinking ship analogy in a few public interviews lately. But on Colbert's show he didn't make clear that the "ship" represents the planet earth, the "holes" represent the peril of climate change, and the "better bucket" is EVs being adopted in the cause of sustainable transport. Sure maybe everyone here gets it, and I'm sure Colbert got it, but I suspect some viewers didn't get it.

It is an excellent analogy.

There were a lot of things the public might not have gotten. When he said version 6 was going to have this cool new feature. Naming your car!!! Um, so what? Anyone can name any car. Cute feature through the ui but not something I would waste Tv time touting.

To anyone who has watched The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert broke character for the entire DOUBLE segment.

"I enjoy pie."

The show is three segments and Elon got 2.

IMO Stephen is a Tesla and Musk admirer/fanboi (in the best possible way) just like many of US here.

Watch a great 84 minute Colbert interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Would love to see something similar with Elon Musk.

- - - Updated - - -

SC: What's next?

EM: What do you wish there was?

Crowd Gasp

SC: I wish there weren't any cables I wish that computers didn't have to be typed into. I tghik that the Mouse and keyboard are terrible. terrible interface. ik could have a relationship with the machine and i would have a discussion of my needs. Cables on anything is terrible. Charging cables as well. I'd walk into my house and things would charge. or just i'd have a subscription service to a charging um um [NETWORK] system and that anywhere i went in the united states a charge would follow me around.

EM: OK. OK.

SC: You'll get back to me?

EM: We'll do it.

What is he exactly agreeing to do?

To anyone who has watched The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert broke character for the entire DOUBLE segment.

"I enjoy pie."

The show is three segments and Elon got 2.

IMO Stephen is a Tesla and Musk admirer/fanboi (in the best possible way) just like many of US here.

Watch a great 84 minute Colbert interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Would love to see something similar with Elon Musk.

- - - Updated - - -

SC: What's next?

EM: What do you wish there was?

Crowd Gasp

SC: I wish there weren't any cables I wish that computers didn't have to be typed into. I tghik that the Mouse and keyboard are terrible. terrible interface. ik could have a relationship with the machine and i would have a discussion of my needs. Cables on anything is terrible. Charging cables as well. I'd walk into my house and things would charge. or just i'd have a subscription service to a charging um um [NETWORK] system and that anywhere i went in the united states a charge would follow me around.

EM: OK. OK.

SC: You'll get back to me?

EM: We'll do it.

What is he exactly agreeing to do?

It is also a comedy show, so Elon was going with some of this for comedy's sake, I assume.