Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just integrate Waze. It has all this type of user-generated content AND working turn-by-turn sat nav functionality.
Tesla Motors seems to be adding more and more functionality to the existing, flaky fundaments.
I'm afraid Tesla upper management will keep getting reports of Tesla Model S drivers with smart phones and TomToms planted next to the 17" console.

Well, don't forget we now have valet mode which limits the valet from driving over 70 mph.

Somehow the image of valet going 70 mph in the parking lot doesn't create a feel-good image.

Seriously, my most enjoyable charging experience was at a hotel with valet service charging.

Was she--never mind, I don't want to go there :)

image.jpg

Range anxiety from Atascadero to Gilroy, left Atascadero with 12% calculated left by the time I got to Gilroy. Calculated battery went all the way down to 6% and in red! Had to to turn on range mode, decrease speed to 65 and made it with 9% left. Traveling with 6% and in red was very anxious. Not good.

Last edited:
This happened to me before with my 60 - before the range-anxiety-quenching software update (which I'm still waiting for.) I kept track of the difference between the rated range and the distance to go, and it was fine and steady with 30 miles buffer for a while driving 70 mph and then started dropping. 60 miles before Salinas we ended up drafting behind trucks and going 60. Made it fine to Gilroy with 14 miles left, up from 9 miles buffer near Salinas, but it was a little nerve wracking. (We could have diverted into Salinas for a public charger if needed.)

I'm pretty sure it's the head wind you commonly drive against in the Salinas river valley.

This experience taught me to charge to > 190 miles range in Atascadero.

Last edited:
This happened to me before with my 60 - before the range-anxiety-quenching software update (which I'm still waiting for.) I kept track of the difference between the rated range and the distance to go, and it was fine and steady with 30 miles buffer for a while driving 70 mph and then started dropping. 60 miles before Salinas we ended up drafting behind trucks and going 60. Made it fine to Gilroy with 14 miles left, up from 9 miles buffer near Salinas, but it was a little nerve wracking. (We could have diverted into Salinas for a public charger if needed.)

I'm pretty sure it's the head wind you commonly drive against in the Salinas river valley.

This experience taught me to charge to > 190 miles range in Atascadero.

thanks, I wasn't aware of the typical headwinds, duely noted for future. It was a bit windy. BTW, is there a particular charger in Salinas you frequent? Free?

Re: Trip planner and range assurance. For those of you who have taken trips using this feature, how much range is left after you reach your destination? Most people reach their destination, drive around at their destination and then return. If your destination isn't near a supercharger, it seems as if you are stuck with the destination partners who have much slower charge times. How do you plan around that?

Re: Trip planner and range assurance. For those of you who have taken trips using this feature, how much range is left after you reach your destination? Most people reach their destination, drive around at their destination and then return. If your destination isn't near a supercharger, it seems as if you are stuck with the destination partners who have much slower charge times. How do you plan around that?
If you have enough charge to do a round trip, the trip planner shows the battery state assuming the round trip. If the round-trip isn't possible, though, you are indeed dependent on destination charging, which can still be a problem:
  • There's no charge point at or near your destination. You'll have to add a destination with charging and build in enough to time to top up the charge. Bummer.
  • There is charging at your destination, but your intended length of stay is shorter than the required charge time. You'll need to find an excuse to stay longer.
Remember that you don't need to fully charge at the destination; you just need enough to make it back to a supercharger. The trip planner will help with that.

I haven't figured out yet how it's computing the last supercharger stop, and it doesn't really tell you how much you'll have left until you get there. I'd like to think it's trying to ensure you have enough to make it to your destination and back to that charger, but that doesn't always appear to be the case (I've tried mapping a route where I know the last stop is just at the edge of 1-way endurance.)
When it is within range, I've had it route right past the last supercharger on the route sometimes even though stopping would have given me more margin at the end, and other times it puts me on the route I expect.

Once you're at the last supercharger you can use the original energy prediction model to figure out when you've got enough charge to get back, but not ahead of time without doing some offline planning.

They really need multi-destination routing so you can have it plan ahead if you're returning back or onto another supercharger route from your destination, and more detailed breakdowns of each leg (Distance, time, and ETA)

View attachment 77719

Range anxiety from Atascadero to Gilroy, left Atascadero with 12% calculated left by the time I got to Gilroy. Calculated battery went all the way down to 6% and in red! Had to to turn on range mode, decrease speed to 65 and made it with 9% left. Traveling with 6% and in red was very anxious. Not good.
Once the trip planner updates to the actual drive conditions, I've found it to be quite accurate. If you are planning on driving above the sl best to do it right out of the gates to give it a chance to come up with an accurate prediction.

Example.. Heading east from Indio supercharger to our house in Phoenix, we started with 17% margin on trip planner. It settled around 7% after we upped the speed to 80 or so and was accurate for the last 90 of 115 or so miles. Drove a lot of the trip with 7% projected remaining with no anxiety.

I guess the "End to Range Anxiety" has to work with what is. This is how it gets me the 511 miles to Rapid City from Bozeman, MT.
Either Choice still offers me some anxiety, or requires me to travel a bit out of my way. :) Not very practical, yet. Hope Wyoming gets it's SuperCharging act together sometime soon.
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG

I guess the "End to Range Anxiety" has to work with what is. This is how it gets me the 511 miles to Rapid City from Bozeman, MT.
Either Choice still offers me some anxiety, or requires me to travel a bit out of my way. :) Not very practical, yet. Hope Wyoming gets it's SuperCharging act together sometime soon.
@DrGuest - If you happen to make an alternate trip (through NE Wyoming and SE Montana) and charge along the way, please report back on whether the nav gives you a better route with the new "now known to your car" charge locations. Hopefully it will. If it doesn't, please bug report that because it should.

Also, bonus feature request: share public charge points with the fleet. The definition of "public" is tricky, but it could be exposed in the UI via something like "share this as a public charge point" in the charging UI when you are twiddling your thumbs before the next leg of your journey.

Also, bonus feature request: share public charge points with the fleet. The definition of "public" is tricky, but it could be exposed in the UI via something like "share this as a public charge point" in the charging UI when you are twiddling your thumbs before the next leg of your journey.
YES This would be ExtraBonusPlusGood because Amperage and Voltage could be captured! <--things often neglected by helpful PlugSharers

YES This would be ExtraBonusPlusGood because Amperage and Voltage could be captured! <--things often neglected by helpful PlugSharers
And things like "last successful charge".
Tesla really needs to either do their own database of chargers or integrate one of the big ones into the car.
Then all I need to click is in the setting "CHAdeMO adapter on board" and I'm good to go :)