Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am little confused about the update:

I have a S85 with no auto pilot features:

I know I will get range assurance application with Trip planner in the update.

I probably will get automatic emergency braking, valet Mode and other updates like audio codec, radio tuning and cruise control updates.

Will I get blind spot warning and side collision warning ( I don't think so... Don't I need to have autopilot hardware?)

Let me know guys and gals

I probably will get automatic emergency braking, valet Mode and other updates like audio codec, radio tuning and cruise control updates.

Will I get blind spot warning and side collision warning ( I don't think so... Don't I need to have autopilot hardware?)

Without the extra side facing ultrasonic sensors, the forward facing camera and the forward facing radar (the autopilot hardware) I don't think you will get blind spot warning and I don't think you will get automatic emergency braking. I believe automatic emergency braking will be based on data received from the camera and radar.

So the 2500 dollar question...

What does this actually mean to me as a 60 non SpC enabled car owner?

Living where I do in the UK 200 miles put's me into the sea if I drive South, West, or East. Only if I go North could I run out of battery before I ran out of roads to drive on ;)

I've never faced this "Range Anxiety" boogeyman ("L2 Charger availability anxiety" I have glimpsed at) .

So will the Sat Nav now start taking me to random superchargers I can't use ?

Let me know guys and gals
Unfortunately you will not get them (my P85+ won't either)

So the 2500 dollar question...

What does this actually mean to me as a 60 non SpC enabled car owner?

Living where I do in the UK 200 miles put's me into the sea if I drive South, West, or East. Only if I go North could I run out of battery before I ran out of roads to drive on ;)

I've never faced this "Range Anxiety" boogeyman ("L2 Charger availability anxiety" I have glimpsed at) .

So will the Sat Nav now start taking me to random superchargers I can't use ?
Impossible to say until someone actually gets the firmware about whether it will or will not direct you to charging locations you don't want/need.

You mean I won't get the blind spot warning, collision warning and emergency braking

But I will get range assurance application and Trip planner and other minor updates right?

That is correct, I asked my service center if my park distance sensors would get any of the new features and they said no because the old park distance sensors are short range. The new sensors (12 including sides vs 8) are long range ultrasonic.

You mean I won't get the blind spot warning, collision warning and emergency braking

But I will get range assurance application and Trip planner and other minor updates right?

That is correct, I asked my service center if my park distance sensors would get any of the new features and they said no because the old park distance sensors are short range. The new sensors (12 including sides vs 8) are long range ultrasonic.

Yes, What Shadows indicated. You and I will still get plenty of software updates that will include trip planner/range assurance/ and probably some Major updates:wink:, but not anything with 'autopilot' as we do not have the needed hardware.

This may disappoint many, but I think that Tesla is simply going to update the navigation system to program in Tesla Charging Partners as currently being displayed on the Find Us web page. I see it as a new "Charging Partner" tab similar to the Superchargers tab. It will be a useful improvement and it will assist Tesla in selling the Destination Charging Program to host locations. Tesla can tell a prospective host location that even if the owner of the Model S doesn't know about your location, the car does and it will take the owner to your hotel, resort, etc.

Larry

I just received my update to version 6.2 of the firmware. It looks like I get partial credit for predicting this particular aspect of the upgrade. :biggrin:

Destination Charging on version 6.2.jpg

Larry

This is very nice. Did not notice this tab in the update...

There's a Lightning Bolt-decorated button at the right end of the Nav Map's search bar, which displays Charging Partners and any "Places Charged" from the car's history.
Just the one car, though. Don't know if they can/will ever incorporate records from All Those Other Cars, or databases like PlugShare or AFDC or RVparky.com...

This would be really cool (but way fussier to implement): Log in one time via Settings (as you do Slacker or TuneIn or XM) to include your "membership charger networks" like Blink, ChargePoint. I bet the networks would be more than happy to cooperate, even pitch in with the coding!

Last edited:
There's a Lightning Bolt-decorated button at the right end of the Nav Map's search bar, which displays Charging Partners and any "Places Charged" from the car's history.
Just the one car, though. Don't know if they can/will ever incorporate records from All Those Other Cars, or databases like PlugShare or AFDC or RVparky.com...

This would be really cool (but way fussier to implement): Log in one time via Settings (as you do Slacker or TuneIn or XM) to include your "membership charger networks" like Blink, ChargePoint. I bet the networks would be more than happy to cooperate, even pitch in with the coding!

+1. I see 6.2 as a step in the direction I'd been hoping they would go for a long time, but I hope they keep improving it. It would be awesome to be fully integrated with plugshare, and show every possible charger, its charging speed, whether it's in use/broken down, etc.

Also, the Supercharger routing (which I know is in beta) should really integrate destination chargers and visited chargers. It's currently kinda useless to me as someone who lives on the East Coast. Also, it should show you how far you could get before you would run out. Then you at least have a better sense of where on the map you should look at plugshare. Right now it just says "route not possible" or whatever.

16kW, is that 240v * 67a or what? Oh wait I see it must be 208v * 80a and then they round down.

6kW makes sense as 240v * 25a .
No the 6kW doesn't make sense if these are HPWCs. At the minimum 40A for a HPWC at 208V that would be 8.3 kW, so it should display as 8. If it's 6 kW charging that would be 30A at 208V which is what J1772s commonly give. Is this list showing J1772s and not just HPWCs?

That's very nice, but the tab really needed is "Destination charging that doesn't require a valet" so that you know which ones are actually usable.

Hi Jerry,

As a sort of work around after selecting the destination press on the checkered flat. A note will appear indicating the charging conditions.

Many are "usable" even with valet service. Many of the high-end locations that have the chargers as part of valet operations will have valet operations park the car, and if you dine at their restaurant and have your ticket validated valet and charging fees are waived. Sometimes there is a nominal fee for lunch, but no fees for dinner. In this way you only need to be a patron at their restaurants to obtain charging and not necessarily an overnight guest.

Larry

Hi Jerry,

As a sort of work around after selecting the destination press on the checkered flat. A note will appear indicating the charging conditions.

Many are "usable" even with valet service. Many of the high-end locations that have the chargers as part of valet operations will have valet operations park the car, and if you dine at their restaurant and have your ticket validated valet and charging fees are waived. Sometimes there is a nominal fee for lunch, but no fees for dinner. In this way you only need to be a patron at their restaurants to obtain charging and not necessarily an overnight guest.

Larry

This is certainly helpful, Larry. Thanks.

But while I could be wrong, I think what Jerry meant when he wrote what he did about "not requiring a valet so that they would actually be useful" was that many of us would not want to charge somewhere that required us to allow someone else to drive our cars.

This is certainly helpful, Larry. Thanks.

But while I could be wrong, I think what Jerry meant when he wrote what he did about "not requiring a valet so that they would actually be useful" was that many of us would not want to charge somewhere that required us to allow someone else to drive our cars.

Hi Andy,

Well, don't forget we now have valet mode which limits the valet from driving over 70 mph. :biggrin:

Seriously, my most enjoyable charging experience was at a hotel with valet service charging.

We just returned from a trip to Disney World. We were meeting a large group of our family from up north. They made reservations at the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort, so we stayed there as well. The resort was very nice, but it's not likely we will be staying at any Disney resort again until they provide chargers.

This particular resort provides bus transportation to the theme parks, but you waste too much valuable vacation time waiting for buses and traveling to the parks and back to the resort.

Located a couple of miles away is the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort. It has two J1772 chargers. We drove my Model S there for a very nice dinner at the La Luce Italian restaurant. We were greeted by the valet service who immediately informed us that they were familiar with Teslas. The valet supervisor would park the car and have the car charged while we dined. I provided them the adapter and fob. After a great dinner we had the server validate our parking ticket and we texted the number provided on the ticket to have out car retrieved. Normally valet parking costs $26, but with dinner it's free and so is the charging.

This was one of the most enjoyable and convenient dining and charging experiences we've had. So much so that we decided to go there for breakfast. The valet team in the morning were also familiar with Teslas, but they were less sure about charging. I offered the valet team a short course on charging and joined my party for breakfast. Normally the breakfast and lunch valet service costs $7, but they waived the fee in exchange for my little charging course.

Although we haven't stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek Resort, it looked very nice and it had one of those "lazy river" type pools where you can float around in an inner tube. If you are planning a trip to Orlando I would recommend that you consider it over a Disney resort until Disney provides charging at their resorts.

Note: The Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes has two high capacity J1772 chargers and also has a similiar valet policy when dining there.

Larry

Larry

Last edited:

Not really that difficult. You would just get a pop up, share this location? Then it would become part of the database.