Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies. I think your interpretation is likely correct. :redface:

Nevertheless, following apacheguy's line of reasoning it might be prudent to regard those times as minimums.

Larry

That was funny that you interpreted min as minimum instead of minutes but you were right anyway because unless Tesla want a lot of Brodering reports in the media after 6.2 they'll have built some good margins in to it.

We use Azure Mobile Notification Hubs. Works with Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

Thanks for that link, going to look into that to simplify our notifications (currently hitting each service individually -- nightmare)

My apologies. I think your interpretation is likely correct. :redface:

Nevertheless, following apacheguy's line of reasoning it might be prudent to regard those times as minimums.

Larry

Haha all good, and I'd agree.

Guys, I've read the entire thread. Some very good speculation going on (entertaining) but let's get back down to earth.

The only way to "end" anxiety is have the software be THAT GOOD at predicting range, range remaining, etc. so that you will NEVER be surprised if you run out of power along the side of the road.

Johan, this was a brilliant deduction - considering the final result - however everybody else should keep on dreaming up new features - we will see them in time!

im not as negative on this announcement as some of u. i think it's pretty cool, altho alot of them already existed in the leaf...for years.

anyways, i think the problem wrt the disapointed ppl in this thread is

1) they are still not used to expecting overly dramatic hyperbole from elon's tweets. hyperbole and exaggeration is his normal setting...when you ask for PR team to filter him out, well guess what, he IS the PR :D

2) elon's tweet was worded in a way that was pretty absolute and dramatic, even by his standards.

anyways, a good presser all around. just keep your expectations in check.

OTAs evolve the car, not revolutionize.

software-6-2-la-to-ny.jpg

This picture finally gives me a good estimate of average overall trip speed in the US.

3.250 miles in 62.5 hours is like 52 miles per hour (including charging). Not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

As others have stated the system needs to be good at estimating the power usage during the trip. That is why they programmed it to take altitude, wind etc. into consideration. Elon stated they can nail it to about 1 % accuracy.

I wonder how they will deal with cruising speed. On the German Autobahn cruising speed can vary much more than on US highways. Recommended speed is 130 km/h (81 mph) where there is no speed limit. Depending on driving conditions many cars drive 160 km/h (100 mph) under good circumstances. Others drive much faster, 200 km/h (125 mph) and more. Remember Tesla just opened the Model S top speed to allow 155 mph (248 km/h).

Now Germany probably has the highest Supercharger density/Model S density ratio in the world (thank you Tesla). But still I have to limit my speed to reach the next SuC.

One solution would be for the system to suggest a top speed for the trip leg I am currently travelling. Since it is designed to minimize total travel time, the speed is a relevant variable in the equation. I have been thinking about my optimal speed for minimal overall travel time, but have not found the magic formula. Hopefully Tesla has it in the 6.2 update.

Without a hint on the allowable top speed, I do not know how they want to ensure I make it to the next charger.

Attachments

• software-6-2-la-to-ny.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 28
Now Germany probably has the highest Supercharger density/Model S density ratio in the world (thank you Tesla). But still I have to limit my speed to reach the next SuC.

One solution would be for the system to suggest a top speed for the trip leg I am currently travelling.

When Elon spoke in Germany in November 2013 that was one of the features that he mentioned.
But this is again one of these moments where "designed and made in California" might be a disadvantage. In the US it's quite easy to make a fairly educated guess as to the speed someone will be driving. Simply pick the freeway speedlimit+10 and you'll be close (unless you're in SoCal, where it's +25).
No such rule of thumb in Germany ;-)

When Elon spoke in Germany in November 2013 that was one of the features that he mentioned.
But this is again one of these moments where "designed and made in California" might be a disadvantage. In the US it's quite easy to make a fairly educated guess as to the speed someone will be driving. Simply pick the freeway speedlimit+10 and you'll be close (unless you're in SoCal, where it's +25).
No such rule of thumb in Germany ;-)

True, but presumably it could also query the car's log history and find the average and maximum speed (and duration of maximum) for any trips over 60 minutes that maintained a speed over 60 k/mh. That would rule out any in-town driving. It could even be done by driver profiles. I didn't hear Elon mention anything like this, but it's technically feasible.

I think implementation of an interface which could be construed as encouraging drivers to break the law... is unlikely for the mass market default.
Note they didn't incorporate the oh-so-popular "Police Officer Ahead" indicators from Waze just because Google acquired it.

Johann Koeber said:
Without a hint on the allowable top speed, I do not know how they want to ensure I make it to the next charger.

Actually, it could be a bit worse . . . Often on the Autobahn you have unlimited speed funneling into a stop and go construction zone, which means you are using the two lower tails of the energy effiicieny curve.

I think implementation of an interface which could be construed as encouraging drivers to break the law... is unlikely for the mass market default.
Umm, err. We have that. All the auto-pilot cars allow you an offset to the speed limit.
Note they didn't incorporate the oh-so-popular "Police Officer Ahead" indicators from Waze just because Google acquired it.
Also note that they didn't incorporate ANYTHING of Waze. So I don't really understand why you think that the Police Officer Ahead is the one worth singling out....

Best would be find some way to turn off 3g or park where there isn't any. That would solve it.

I would think that if the car behaves anything like a cell phone, constantly polling for a signal could actually increase the amount of battery drain.

I have an early '13 non-reinforced frunk lid, and no crease. But I'm careful...

There's a reinforced version of the frunk lid out there? This is the first I heard of that. My car was manufactured May of '13 so from the sound of it I have the early 'non-reinforced' lid as well.

You have good reason not to blindly follow the guidances. Notice that the charging times displayed in the example are MINIMUM charging times.

I took "min" to mean minutes, unless that was outlined elsewhere?

More than whether "min" means minutes or minimum, I think the key word is "required". Anything more is not required but probably still a good idea.

My 60 was manufactured Apr '13 (11k VIN) and had the new frunk lid. IIRC they switched somewhere around VIN9000

Hmmm... my 85 is a VIN 10K (manufactured Apr '13) as well, and I'm pretty sure I don't. I remember the discussion of the new design happening some months after mine. Of course, 60's and 85's can be batched differently... but that's still well earlier than I remember seeing any reinforced frunks.

Are you sure about that timing?

ON EDIT: This post in the Frunk-dent thread HERE is the one I recall, and about the timing I remember (August , 2104). It demonstrates that even VIN 15K cars still had the old design, and it was a VIN 44K loaner where he noticed it. I don't recall it being mentioned much earlier than that...

Last edited:
Hmmm... my 85 is a VIN 10K (manufactured Apr '13) as well, and I'm pretty sure I don't. I remember the discussion of the new design happening some months after mine. Of course, 60's and 85's can be batched differently... but that's still well earlier than I remember seeing any reinforced frunks.

Are you sure about that timing?

ON EDIT: This post in the Frunk-dent thread HERE is the one I recall, and about the timing I remember (August , 2104). It demonstrates that even VIN 15K cars still had the old design, and it was a VIN 44K loaner where he noticed it. I don't recall it being mentioned much earlier than that...
Weird. I know that mine had the new hood (soon after I got mine we compared frunk hoods when a few local owners got together), but I guess it's possible that I simply aligned the dates in my head.
Since I didn't take possession until mid July it's possible that they had switched out the hood before I got it?
I'm confused.

Umm, err. We have that. All the auto-pilot cars allow you an offset to the speed limit.
And we see complaints that "It won't let me set cruise to any speed over 90!" Reported limit not true?

Also note that they didn't incorporate ANYTHING of Waze. So I don't really understand why you think that the Police Officer Ahead is the one worth singling out....
Sorry, you might need to help me understand. I am only a some-time user of Waze. I see traffic reports, obstacle and accident warnings, Cops, ads for restaurants... Other than police sightings, what other (visible) Waze feature "could be construed as assisting in violating statutes?"
I assume that the traffic data IS being folded into the Google traffic display (or soon will be). Umm, err. :)

Last edited: