Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of us who prefer to hypermile between charge stops to avoid awkward routings (I'm specifically thinking of Blanding direct to Flagstaff, which avoids the added 180 miles of the 'Four Corners Supercharger S-Curve' through Farmington and Gallup) will want nav support for modifying the app-suggested routing. Actually, being able to specify a route instead of just a destination is generally desirable: Tesla doesn't always know best.

Tesla has to make sure they don't set themselves up for a series of headaches over this update. I've been thinking about it and I see some major concerns. Take these for instance:

1. An owner notes that only a 30 min stop is at the next SpC. However, the owner does not bother to check if the stall he pulls into is paired with another vehicle. AFAIK, the Nav does not tell you which stall would optimize your charging. Thus, the owner checks his watch and pulls out 35 mins later (figures he's safe with a 5 min buffer). However, the car then warns him as he's pulling on the freeway to slow down to reach his destination and he has to turn around and go back to the SpC. All bc most owners do not understand paired stalls.

2. The car is overly rosey in its prediction or assumes a much lower average speed. We have seen this many times with 6.1. The owner does 75-80 mph on the interstate and again the Nav warns him to slow down because it based it's calculation off of going 65 mph. Again, I do not see an option that allows the driver to select his average speed. This is a problem.

Suffice it to say that I will be skeptical at least initially with the 6.2 update. I'm not going to follow its guidance blindly. I can only hope that others do the same.

I hope I do not get the update download while I am parked for a two week stay in Australia. Once before, I returned from a long trip to find that the car had been wakened from deep sleep for an update that sucked down more battery than I had expected. I have to park 100 miles from home, and can make it home on a charge if the car is left alone asleep. I think we were told that updates would only be by WIFI but it does not seem true.

@thumper... except for very rare instances, Tesla does not force the car to update, the owner has to accept/schedule the update. Now, it could certainly download while your car is parked, but it would not actually go through the update process until you schedule. I don't think downloading uses much battery. If, for some reason, Tesla keeps waking up your car to download segments, you could experience more vampire drain than if it were sound asleep. Of course, all of that sleep mode stuff has changed release-by-release, so who the heck knows. Best would be find some way to turn off 3g or park where there isn't any. That would solve it.

While the "press material / half charge in 20 min" is variable, so is the perception of the amount of time a person is actually stopped for a break.

I tend to think that on a long journey, we think we will stop for 10-15 minutes maximum for a refreshment break...on a recent 1,100 km trip, I found that by the time you hit the rest room, then stood in line to reload the coffee mug, it was quite easy for the refreshment break to take 30 minutes...

The supercharger times displayed on the screenshots distributed as press material are a lot longer than the touted "half charge in 20 min" or "stop for a quick break and go". I wonder what kind of battery reserve margins the trip software will bake into the route plan.

Tesla has to make sure they don't set themselves up for a series of headaches over this update. I've been thinking about it and I see some major concerns. Take these for instance:

1. An owner notes that only a 30 min stop is at the next SpC. However, the owner does not bother to check if the stall he pulls into is paired with another vehicle. AFAIK, the Nav does not tell you which stall would optimize your charging. Thus, the owner checks his watch and pulls out 35 mins later (figures he's safe with a 5 min buffer). However, the car then warns him as he's pulling on the freeway to slow down to reach his destination and he has to turn around and go back to the SpC. All bc most owners do not understand paired stalls.

2. The car is overly rosey in its prediction or assumes a much lower average speed. We have seen this many times with 6.1. The owner does 75-80 mph on the interstate and again the Nav warns him to slow down because it based it's calculation off of going 65 mph. Again, I do not see an option that allows the driver to select his average speed. This is a problem.

Suffice it to say that I will be skeptical at least initially with the 6.2 update. I'm not going to follow its guidance blindly. I can only hope that others do the same.

Apache, you may very well be right. I agree that this information needs to be virtually "idiot-proof" for the ordinary user to rely upon. Until we actually experience how it is used and how the charging times/amounts are determined, we really do not know what the end result will be. Perhaps the sequence of charging times as shown in the press release are estimates when routed. Maybe the data are refined upon arrival, so while the initial charging time at the first stop is calculated to be 25 minutes, maybe once the owner actually plugs in there will be a message notifying him/her that estimated charge time to be 35 minutes with a 10% buffer and 42 minutes with an 18% buffer due to paired usage or a lower-than-expected state of charge. Perhaps the software will alert us before we unplug that we have not attained the desired charge level. Perhaps the phone app will have a "timer" feature. We plug in, look at our charge app and the timer sets to (say) 32:00 and starts counting down to zero. If there is an issue, perhaps the timer stops, resets, and then continues. It is easy to check our app after 20 minutes or so to see if we are on schedule or behind. :smile:

Yeah. We sorted it out. I had been reading the press kit which did not mention it at all. The blog does. Go figure.

Hopefully it projects HVAC usage and battery conditioning based on temps as well. Elon mentioned it only looks only at current HVAC draw which doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe the data are refined upon arrival, so while the initial charging time at the first stop is calculated to be 25 minutes, maybe once the owner actually plugs in there will be a message notifying him/her that estimated charge time to be 35 minutes with a 10% buffer and 42 minutes with an 18% buffer due to paired usage or a lower-than-expected state of charge. Perhaps the software will alert us before we unplug that we have not attained the desired charge level. Perhaps the phone app will have a "timer" feature. We plug in, look at our charge app and the timer sets to (say) 32:00 and starts counting down to zero. If there is an issue, perhaps the timer stops, resets, and then continues. It is easy to check our app after 20 minutes or so to see if we are on schedule or behind.

I hope Tesla goes with this implementation. Getting an immediate notification that charging will be delayed as a result of a paired stall or other factors would be very helpful and would eliminate misunderstandings.

Since valet mode will give us the ability to lock the frunk, I'm hoping we eventually also get the ability to do that without needing to use valet mode.

I've essentially made the decision to pretend the frunk is not there. I've read too much about the frunk crease, and frankly having the dreaded funk crease is more of a concern to me than needing to use the frunk for anything. Occasionally I have inadvertently popped the frunk, at which point I then need to close it very carefully, and worry about the crease. If I could lock it, to prevent inadvertent openings, that would be great.

On the converse I use the frunk almost exclusively. Several times a week. It's more convenient to toss stuff in as it ends up being right next to my garage entrance to my house. I have an early '13 non-reinforced frunk lid, and no crease. But I'm careful...

- - - Updated - - -

Some folks have mentioned wanting to be able to use the 6.2 nav trip planning features in a browser or app on another device, before getting in the car. That would be great, but there's one more step required to make it truly useful: being able to synch route plans between your device and the car's nav, in either direction. I have that in my airplane with a flight planning app called Foreflight: I build a route on the iPad, then synch it with the panel-mounted Skyview PFD when I get to the airplane. Once synched, any changes made to the route on either device propagates to the other. It's slick.

This. Similar to looking up a Google map route on your desktop/laptop and being able to sync it on your phone today...

I don't think I'd want the car constantly notifying me like that most of the time - endless messages that don't really affect things much.

What I'd suggest instead is that the car keep the charge screen in the app up to date, including a departure time countdown, and if you're that worried or in that much of a hurry, you can check it periodically.

It is disappointing that they don't do notifications for Android.
I noticed recently during my first supercharger uses that it warns you when it is getting close to completion. Not sure what events trigger that.

Other than that, it is pretty easy to glance at the app periodically to see whats going on. Maybe being able to set a notification for if the charge rate goes below a certain threshold would be useful though probably for non-technical people would be best to set according to completion time rather than rate of charge.

That explains it. I've always wondered...

but there's nothing stopping Tesla from making the Android app poll the information say once a minute and then generate a local notification...

There is actually: polling every minute will drain your Android phone battery fast.
That's exactly why push notification infrastructure exists on mobile phone platforms: so apps don't poll.

-- Greg

I didn't want to start a new thread and I want to get back to the point of this topic. I don't own a Tesla car so I am coming from the point of view of a Tesla potential buyer.
From following Elon Musk / Tesla for a while now, a lot of improvements in Model S are from customer issues and complains. Once he said in an interview, his daughter (I believe) wanted to read a book on 2nd row seats of the car, but the rear seats have no lights, then he realized that duh why I missed that (he thought everyone would only read from an iPad or something).

I believe range anxiety came from his sales stores (probably majority). People turned around and were scared because their car would lose charge. This is just a selling point basically "Impossible to lose full charge on your car". I am sure this will get a certain percentage of more buyers, but we don't really know for a while. And second point was to keep excitement going till this summer for his auto pilot software. It has been more than 5 months now since he announced it and his stock just kept tanking.

You have good reason not to blindly follow the guidances. Notice that the charging times displayed in the example are MINIMUM charging times.

Larry

software-6-2-la-to-ny.jpg