Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I do not get the update download while I am parked for a two week stay in Australia. Once before, I returned from a long trip to find that the car had been wakened from deep sleep for an update that sucked down more battery than I had expected. I have to park 100 miles from home, and can make it home on a charge if the car is left alone asleep. I think we were told that updates would only be by WIFI but it does not seem true.

I hope I do not get the update download while I am parked for a two week stay in Australia. Once before, I returned from a long trip to find that the car had been wakened from deep sleep for an update that sucked down more battery than I had expected. I have to park 100 miles from home, and can make it home on a charge if the car is left alone asleep. I think we were told that updates would only be by WIFI but it does not seem true.
The statement was that cars on WiFi would get priority, but there seems to be no evidence of that so far.

Twould be ironic if your car woke up to tell you it's now out of range to nearest SC

Perhaps it's being discussed already in another thread but I found this part interesting.

Elon made a comment soon after the D announcement along the lines of "no significant hardware advances for 2 years" which, to me, implied that at the very least the sensor suite in place at the D announcement would be "enough" for at least 2 years of firmware advances in the "auto pilot feature set".

This new quote (and related discussion I've seen from live blogging of the press event) suggests that the 10-50mph "neighborhoods with children around" functionality either [a] won't be available for at least two years or will require new hardware. If that would contract the previous statement.

Perhaps I'm missing something or misunderstanding.

You aren't missing anything. Elon doesn't think that speed range is low hanging fruit and will avoid it until they master it. It'll be several years and requires more computing power as discussed at Nvidia's event the other day.

Does anyone understand by what Elon means when he mentions the Nav will look up SpC usage in real time and discard any that are in use? So if Harris Ranch is completely full (7/7 stalls taken) then will the Nav tell me I cannot charge at Harris Ranch (or that I will have to wait x mins). Moreover, which part of the calculation is this factored into? The time to gain sufficient SOC to begin the next leg?

Some folks have mentioned wanting to be able to use the 6.2 nav trip planning features in a browser or app on another device, before getting in the car. That would be great, but there's one more step required to make it truly useful: being able to synch route plans between your device and the car's nav, in either direction. I have that in my airplane with a flight planning app called Foreflight: I build a route on the iPad, then synch it with the panel-mounted Skyview PFD when I get to the airplane. Once synched, any changes made to the route on either device propagates to the other. It's slick.

This capability exists in the Mercedes... my wife's E350 has an app in my phone that lets me send the destination from the app to the Nav system on the car... wish we had that.

Does anyone understand by what Elon means when he mentions the Nav will look up SpC usage in real time and discard any that are in use? So if Harris Ranch is completely full (7/7 stalls taken) then will the Nav tell me I cannot charge at Harris Ranch (or that I will have to wait x mins). Moreover, which part of the calculation is this factored into? The time to gain sufficient SOC to begin the next leg?

I'm thinking it's factored into the route planning. One of the things I've been talking about is anticipating utilization and adjusting the trip plan based on sites that will probably be full *when you would get there.*

That isn't what Elon said, but I'm thinking it might be what he was hinting at - certainly having a SC site 300 miles away be full when you make the plan doesn't matter at all for your ability to charge there 4 or five hours later.
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

This capability exists in the Mercedes... my wife's E350 has an app in my phone that lets me send the destination from the app to the Nav system on the car... wish we had that.

My Volt has that much, through OnStar. Unfortunately, it's only from the OnStar app itself, which uses the often quirky Bing maps. It's just the location, though - no routes or timing or waypoints.
Walter

I'm beyond thrilled at the features in this update! I didn't participate in the earlier speculation in this thread, so maybe I'm biased, but seeing the announcement this morning through fresh eyes, I'm getting a huge number of features I always wanted for my car. The idea that I can just get in the car and punch in a destination, and everything is mapped out for me including where and how long to stop to charge, with notification on my phone of when I can get back on the road again, is revolutionary, in my opinion. No need to even check how the charge is doing, no need to plan anything in advance using a spreadsheet or evtripplanner.com, just get in and drive, and check the messages on my phone when they come in while I'm stopped to eat or shop. My spouse would never want to do any of that EV pre-planning prior to taking the car out for a long trip, and soon, we won't have to. And, if we just drive, without even setting up a destination, it'll still let me know if I need to charge somewhere. Win-win.

IMO it's the closest thing to the user experience of an ICE car for a long trip - in an ICE car you don't have to plan, you just drive, with the confidence that comes with 100+ years of infrastructure that you will always find places to re-fuel along the way. That's really the root cause of "range anxiety" - even though, as an owner of an EV, I agree it's overblown for most people since the actual planning isn't all that much work, it is real and I can't deny that it would be better to not have to think about it at all. In some ways, the Model S does the long-trip ICE experience one better - imagine if an ICE car could not only map out the minimum number of gas stations I needed to stop at without me checking "gas in 5 miles" road signs and keeping an eye on the fuel gauge, but it also auto-routed to the ones that are the cheapest and least crowded.

I'm beyond thrilled at the features in this update! I didn't participate in the earlier speculation in this thread, so maybe I'm biased, but seeing the announcement this morning through fresh eyes, I'm getting a huge number of features I always wanted for my car. The idea that I can just get in the car and punch in a destination, and everything is mapped out for me including where and how long to stop to charge, with notification on my phone of when I can get back on the road again, is revolutionary, in my opinion. No need to even check how the charge is doing...

You know I was just reading that and thinking a notification when it is ready to leave isn't enough. I'd like a notification when the taper starts or a notification when the ramp up has plateaued.

I'd like to be able to plug it up see a non 0 charge rate and start walking away without confirming it made it to 60, 90, 105, 111, 120KW and have the car text me with the max charge rate achieved and a new revised estimate time to leave the charger.

Maybe there is a car that drives up and joins my pair just as I'm around the corner halfway to grabbing a quick bite. Maybe the supercharger is under performing due to a power issue at the site. Maybe the temps are just perfect and I'm somehow about to get the fastest charge I've ever experienced and it'll beat the pre trip estimate.

I don't want to go to lunch thinking I have 15 minutes to grab a quick bite and come back to find out the charger got stuck at 40KW for some odd reason and I'm going to be there for 30 minutes. By then I might have already gotten lower quality food, been more rushed, be more frustrated. Conversly if the pretrip estimate is for a 50 minute charging session and I pull up to a busy site I might think it will be even slower (all slots full sharing chargers is the only option), if everyone leaves 3 minutes into the charge before I even get a table at the slower eating option I might rather switch plans and go for a more flexible/quicker meal option.

If instead I got a text while I was walking to the restaurant with the updated time without me having to stand around for a minute or two I get the best of both worlds. I don't have to baby sit the charging but I can be notified how much time I'll have after the charge gets far enough into the process that an accurate calculation can be made.

Maybe the notification nudges me towards the quick grab at chipolte, maybe the notification nudges me to a more sedate pace at a steak house or micro brewery. Either way it could be the same or opposite of what my preconception was.

Seeing a time on the trip plan before I leave the car isn't as good as the car updating me with a more accurate charge estimate after charging is underway. I really hope they update the time remaining in the charge often enough / accurately enough that someone away from the car knows what is happening.

And fwiw I hope they do so without just doing it on Apple products. Give android users some love too.

The supercharger times displayed on the screenshots distributed as press material are a lot longer than the touted "half charge in 20 min" or "stop for a quick break and go". I wonder what kind of battery reserve margins the trip software will bake into the route plan.

I've always thought the those statements were pure marketing b.s. that did not match with the reality I've experienced using the supercharger network.

Can't you disable all remote access to the car? I would think this would disable OTA updates. (You wouldn't be able to check on your car through the app tho)

Or maybe you could park your car in a Faraday cage? lol

You know I was just reading that and thinking a notification when it is ready to leave isn't enough. I'd like a notification when the taper starts or a notification when the ramp up has plateaued.

I'd like to be able to plug it up see a non 0 charge rate and start walking away without confirming it made it to 60, 90, 105, 111, 120KW and have the car text me with the max charge rate achieved and a new revised estimate time to leave the charger.

Maybe there is a car that drives up and joins my pair just as I'm around the corner halfway to grabbing a quick bite. Maybe the supercharger is under performing due to a power issue at the site. Maybe the temps are just perfect and I'm somehow about to get the fastest charge I've ever experienced and it'll beat the pre trip estimate.

I don't want to go to lunch thinking I have 15 minutes to grab a quick bite and come back to find out the charger got stuck at 40KW for some odd reason and I'm going to be there for 30 minutes. By then I might have already gotten lower quality food, been more rushed, be more frustrated. Conversly if the pretrip estimate is for a 50 minute charging session and I pull up to a busy site I might think it will be even slower (all slots full sharing chargers is the only option), if everyone leaves 3 minutes into the charge before I even get a table at the slower eating option I might rather switch plans and go for a more flexible/quicker meal option.

If instead I got a text while I was walking to the restaurant with the updated time without me having to stand around for a minute or two I get the best of both worlds. I don't have to baby sit the charging but I can be notified how much time I'll have after the charge gets far enough into the process that an accurate calculation can be made.

Maybe the notification nudges me towards the quick grab at chipolte, maybe the notification nudges me to a more sedate pace at a steak house or micro brewery. Either way it could be the same or opposite of what my preconception was.

Seeing a time on the trip plan before I leave the car isn't as good as the car updating me with a more accurate charge estimate after charging is underway. I really hope they update the time remaining in the charge often enough / accurately enough that someone away from the car knows what is happening.

And fwiw I hope they do so without just doing it on Apple products. Give android users some love too.

I don't think I'd want the car constantly notifying me like that most of the time - endless messages that don't really affect things much.

What I'd suggest instead is that the car keep the charge screen in the app up to date, including a departure time countdown, and if you're that worried or in that much of a hurry, you can check it periodically.

It is disappointing that they don't do notifications for Android.

I don't think I'd want the car constantly notifying me like that most of the time - endless messages that don't really affect things much.

What I'd suggest instead is that the car keep the charge screen in the app up to date, including a departure time countdown, and if you're that worried or in that much of a hurry, you can check it periodically.

It is disappointing that they don't do notifications for Android.

Apple has a push service. I don't think there's One Push Serivce To Rule Them All on Android.

I think such verbose notifications would drive the average user insane. Me included. If Tesla did that, there'd no doubt be users complaining that it's too much information -- "Just tell me up front how long I have to eat/shop/etc and stop overwhelming me with updates".

It seems to me what you're asking for is the option of selecting Standard (minimal) notifications, and Verbose (everything under the sun) notifications. But I really think that if you made a thousand mile trek and you had 100+ updates from your car along the way, you'd eventually get sick of it and go back to only the currently designed notification scheme. Or maybe not. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited: