Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elektrek Article featured one of our very own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-8-27_17-14-35.png
upload_2020-8-27_17-14-35.png

I've been part of a few threads here where mods stepped in and deleted comments or temporarily banned people. Every single time it's about the fact that people are arguing, which IMO is a completely horse *sugar* reason to ban people. The mod team doesn't seem to take into consideration that one person has facts and data to back them up, and another person has absolutely nothing but their fandom of Elon or Tesla.

To say it has been frustrating to see this happen would be an understatement, and it's a major reason I rarely come here anymore.

You banned the one of the few people in the thread posting factual information and let the others bickering with him and harassing him for information get away with it?

What exactly in this post is snippy?
Snippiness 2.0

I had a post put in there because someone was threatening to contact employers because some of us were "harassing" him by, get this, disagreeing. Not name calling or anything like that, just literally pointing out that doing so is the definition of harassment. It was the most insane bullshit I've ever seen. Then that person went to Reddit to snitch on us to the mods over there. I couldn't believe what I was seeing happening, but just added them to my ignore list everywhere. No point talking to someone that uses feelings in a discussion about facts.

You banned the one of the few people in the thread posting factual information and let the others bickering with him and harassing him for information get away with it?

What exactly in this post is snippy?
Snippiness 2.0

This is the post that got him banned? o_O.

Does anyone know of an alternate tesla forum that tries to ban the noise instead of the signal?

WK057 was one of the few folks that actually contributes new technical information, and it would be great to have a site that actively encourages this information sharing from him and other like-minded individuals instead of punishing them for correcting misinformation.

I was uninvolved in this, because I'm staying out of that thread like my life depends on it. So this may not be applicable here, but it's always worth mentioning. Many times what is moved to snippiness is not snippy content. It might be moved because it is part of a subdiscussion that gets orphaned by another post being moved to snippiness. I often try to put out a blanket statement letting people know of this collateral damage, but generally people really don't like it when that happens. A nice thing about that thread is that you can always go back in, find your content, and copy and paste it back into the thread (if it's collateral damage). Much nicer than deletion, in my opinion.

I'll also say that moderator actions aren't always focused on a single event. I'll say it in the way a friend of mine explained scolding his kid in a public place. "I'm not yelling at them for the thing they just did. I'm yelling at them for the 500 things these people didn't see that led up to that thing."

Just saying that there is often more background than meets the eye. Again, speaking generally and not specifically to this particular action.

I'll also say that moderator actions aren't always focused on a single event. I'll say it in the way a friend of mine explained scolding his kid in a public place. "I'm not yelling at them for the thing they just did. I'm yelling at them for the 500 things these people didn't see that led up to that thing".

I think this is the reason for the large backlash. wk057 has a multi-year history of sharing technical information and correcting misinformation. There are 500 things we see showing that he should not be banned, including in that accursed thread.

If the mods are unable to distinguish wk057s multiple attempts to correct misinformation ( note that he is one of the few willing and able to do so on this forum) as bad activity it needs to be called out as poor moderation. It would be great if folks like wk057 that actually understand the cars were on the mod team, so the moderation can take into account who is correct on technical details and stop threads like that from escalating by banning those that continue to spam misinformation.

Seeing mods instead killing one of the few signals among the noise is disappointing to me and apparently many others.

That being said, thanks for doing a thankless job, I know moderating is often very not fun!

Some mods seem to be more interested in protecting feelings than allowing quality information. A member here has recently been threatened with banning simply because they clicked the "funny" icon on a post. The board suffers because of this, numerous quality posters have been driven away or banned. It wasn't always like this.

I will state that Ohmman is one of the good ones. As is doug of course.

Some mods seem to be more interested in protecting feelings than allowing quality information. A member here has recently been threatened with banning simply because they clicked the "funny" icon on a post. The board suffers because of this, numerous quality posters have been driven away or banned. It wasn't always like this.

I will state that Ohmman is one of the good ones. As is doug of course.
Haven’t experienced the funny hate. Usually “funny” for me means I think it’s funny or that you’re on drugs. :D

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r