Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its the portable SC Tesla is installing until the regular Superchargers go online in December next year!
It looks like only 1 car will be charged at a time but it is better than wasting 3 hours each way at the BW on Princess.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an idea that will eradicate ICING forever!
Put a 5' x 9' metal plate on castor wheels or similar at each SC stall.
If an ICE vehicle parks there, all one has to do is "push" or "pull" the offending car out of the way.
It could be moved to a spot where it will be inaccessible to the owner. That will teach him/her!

This is what the temporary superchargers look like (not my pic - borrowed from elsewhere on the forum):

attachment.jpg

Edit: found my own picture... from ReFuel 2014:

IMG_3071.JPG

Temp SCs don't look like that. They look like a refrigerator with two SC stalls either side, on a carrier.

Maybe that's the infamous missing part???

I'm with you on that... when I first saw the pic, I really thought that IT was the missing piece...

Adding to that, I'm pretty sure that the mobile SuC is already assembled in a same part (on a crate, almost ready to be connected)... something in which we don't see it the infamous pic... (only see a transformer or whatever we can call it)

Last edited:
Question for anyone using Woodstock Ontario:

I recall from a recent post that someone went to Woodstock and found all Superchargers ICE'd. Has anyone returned to see if this is a common occurrence?

I have to drive to Chicago in late February. I'd like to know if Woodstock isn't reliable... not that I have another option.
I stopped in at the Woodstock location twice in mid January. The only spot being used was the Leaf taking up the first charging spot. So, help me here, what is the Acronym for an EV, clogging/blocking a charging location?

I stopped in at the Woodstock location twice in mid January. The only spot being used was the Leaf taking up the first charging spot. So, help me here, what is the Acronym for an EV, clogging/blocking a charging location?

I was there a week ago Tuesday. There were three spots ICE'd along the far side, although one woman came out of the fitness centre and drove off while I was charging. I've always wondered why people try and get parking spots close to a fitness centre just so the can go in a walk for an hour on a treadmill...

What IS that thing? Too small to be a transformer...

Temp SCs don't look like that. They look like a refrigerator with two SC stalls either side, on a carrier.

Maybe that's the infamous missing part???

Here is a theory. The original plans called for the local utility to provide a transformer with a 480 Volt secondary. If the local utility could only provide a 600 V secondary transformer, then the Supercharger site needs a 600 to 480 Volt transformer. Because this is typically done with a "buck," auto-transformer design, it only needs the copper and iron to cover the step down fraction (120/600 here). That means that the physical volume and weight is about 20% of the utility transformer.

This could be the 600 to 480 step-down transformer that will be inside the equipment enclosure. Has anyone looked at the markings on the utility transformer already there? If it is a 600 Volt secondary, that would reinforce my theory.

Below is a picture of the step-down transformer in Cornwall. It is about the same volume as the mystery refrigerator.

View attachment 57140

Last edited:
Here is a theory. The original plans called for the local utility to provide a transformer with a 480 Volt secondary. If the local utility could only provide a 600 V secondary transformer, then the Supercharger site needs a 600 to 480 Volt transformer. Because this is typically done with a "buck," auto-transformer design, it only needs the copper and iron to cover the step down fraction (120/600 here). That means that the physical volume and weight is about 20% of the utility transformer.

This could be the 600 to 480 step-down transformer that will be inside the equipment enclosure. Has anyone looked at the markings on the utility transformer already there? If it is a 600 Volt secondary, that would reinforce my theory.

Below is a picture of the step-down transformer in Cornwall. It is about the same volume as the mystery refrigerator.

View attachment 57140

Cottonwood, you are truly magnificent. Good job digging up the Cornwall photo.

Doug_G, I agree that the photo of the newly-arrived equipment in Kingston is not a temporary Supercharger, and does not look like any part of a temporary Supercharger. I have also seen one in person, FWIW (Denver/ Lone Tree-Park Meadows).

I'm attaching a blow-up of page A-4 of the Kingston plans. Does anyone in Kingston know what has been installed there and what has not? I seem to recall there was a transformer already there, sitting on a pile of gravel. This would be the box with the swinging doors shown in the diagram. Maybe the new equipment is the "Proposed Vista 3-way HV switch and CT metering cabinet (pending Kingston utility approval)" I assume HV means high voltage and it looks like CT means current transformer.

Whatever it is, I hope it's the missing whatchamahoosit that they need to finish the job!

x.jpg

Last edited:
Cottonwood, you are truly magnificent. Good job digging up the Cornwall photo.

Doug_G, I agree that the photo of the newly-arrived equipment in Kingston is not a temporary Supercharger, and does not look like any part of a temporary Supercharger. I have also seen one in person, FWIW (Denver/ Lone Tree-Park Meadows).

I'm attaching a blow-up of page A-4 of the Kingston plans. Does anyone in Kingston know what has been installed there and what has not? I seem to recall there was a transformer already there, sitting on a pile of gravel. This would be the box with the swinging doors shown in the diagram. Maybe the new equipment is the "Proposed Vista 3-way HV switch and CT metering cabinet (pending Kingston utility approval)" I assume HV means high voltage and it looks like CT means current transformer.

Whatever it is, I hope it's the missing whatchamahoosit that they need to finish the job!

View attachment 70604

Looks about right....the new transformer is sitting there beside a pile of gravel (I assume it's the new transformer, large cube, dark green, twin doors that open out.) The Vista 3 way switch has not been there, so maybe this is it! Size looks reasonable. This would be great, just brought my baby home today!