Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anytime I need to plug in and go to bed (due to a long day or some other reason), I will leave my contact information in my window along with permission to unplug my car if a charge is desperately needed. It's slightly annoying to receive a text in the middle of the night informing me that someone unplugged my car, but I'd rather deal with that than have prevented a latecomer from charging because I was hogging the station.

That's a good idea. I tend to come in really late myself, and I've yet to be in a situation where the charge completed before morning. Some hotels only have 30A, and I've had to unplug without the charge finishing.

Is this new, or did I just miss it?

On Tesla's new "Find Us" page, they're listing HPWC's: find us

A few examples, ALT Hotel at YYZ, Comfort Inn in Burlington, and the Comfort Inn Fallsview, Niagara Falls.

I haven't checked my car yet, but it would be handy to have these locations listed in our nav too.

A comment up-thread clarifies that Tesla was talking about a temporary Supercharging solution due to delays with the primary install. Note that most of the Tesla partnered HPWC locations are at hotels and most are likely for use by 'guests' only. Totally reasonable but I thought it worth mentioning.

We recognize the charging need in Kingston and are working to bring a temporary 2 post Supercharger near the end of the month.

Well it's great they're doing this as a stop-gap, though it also implies that the main Supercharger is some distance out.

Too bad that couldn't have happened before all the holiday travel!

In addition, the Montreal Supercharger is planned to open in the next week.

Well that's good news. Although that is also something of a stop-gap since it's only two stalls.

A comment up-thread clarifies that Tesla was talking about a temporary Supercharging solution due to delays with the primary install. Note that most of the Tesla partnered HPWC locations are at hotels and most are likely for use by 'guests' only. Totally reasonable but I thought it worth mentioning.

I scanned around a bit, and a few of them say "open to the public". Those were mostly located at businesses, though. I understand why a hotel wouldn't want a non-guest hogging the spots, although during the day (which is when most people would be traveling, presumably), it shouldn't be a big deal (other than the cost of the power).

Anyway, nice to see the added info. I noticed a few spots (e.g. Lake Placid area) that would be helpful for me.

I understand why a hotel wouldn't want a non-guest hogging the spots, although during the day (which is when most people would be traveling, presumably), it shouldn't be a big deal (other than the cost of the power).
I have seen other folks mention that they asked the hotel to use the charger and offered to eat lunch at the hotel's restaurant so at least you are giving them a bit of revenue, which is a fair exchange.

The new supercharger map (live on the website now) is showing Cobourg in 2015 which would be great. It also has Ottawa, Montreal, North Bay and Sudbury in 2016, but the station between Ottawa and Montreal on the 417 is gone. (It looks like they aren't showing the two stalls at the Montreal store for some reason.) I think this is fine - the Ottawa-Montreal trip would certainly be easy with superchargers at both ends, and then people going up the valley from Ottawa would have a head start, although Ottawa to North Bay is only doable without a stop in the summer.

The "Today" map, with the "coming soon" stations at Kingston, Utica and Newburgh, NY filled in, would cover pretty much all of my common trips. The 2016 map looks amazing!

Indications are they decided to move the 417 Supercharger to Ottawa (and Montreal) because there aren't very many places to put one on the 417. There's pretty much nothing along the highway between Ottawa and Toronto, with. There are a few exceptions, but if the locations weren't suitable and/or weren't interested then there's pretty much zilch.

Wait a minute...if the charger is an HWPC (not a high amp Level II i.e. Clipper Creek unit with a J1772), how will the front desk unlock the (Tesla) charge handle from your car?...don't they have to unlock the entire car to be able to unplug it?

If the charge station is an HWPC, I think the best you could do is inform the front desk that it is ok for them to contact you so you can disconnect and move your car...

When I was traveling across Canada this summer, I frequently showed up at my destination hotel at 4 or 5 in the morning (largely due to misjudging my charging time the previous day). Fortunately I never encountered occupied EVSEs at my hotels, but it would have been a major setback to find it occupied by somebody who had plugged in and then went to bed for the night. Their vehicle would likely have completed charging but I would still not be able to do so.

Anytime I need to plug in and go to bed (due to a long day or some other reason), I will leave my contact information in my window along with permission to unplug my car if a charge is desperately needed. It's slightly annoying to receive a text in the middle of the night informing me that someone unplugged my car, but I'd rather deal with that than have prevented a latecomer from charging because I was hogging the station.

- - - Updated - - -

The Best Westerns in Cobourg and Kingston have always been good with this...

I have seen other folks mention that they asked the hotel to use the charger and offered to eat lunch at the hotel's restaurant so at least you are giving them a bit of revenue, which is a fair exchange.

Maybe I'm late, but the maps are finally updated (following the initial update that was pulled).

2016 :
Ottawa gettting it !
Winnipeg also get to be connected via the USA
Ontario getting a few more in direction of the west
New Brunswick getting it first supercharger accessible from the USA... 288km from Riviere-du-loup, QC

I hope they can get the 2015 up before summer, but we could very well see them on in 2016 :(

Let hope 2015 is the year thing get on time for the next install !

Last edited:
Wait a minute...if the charger is an HWPC (not a high amp Level II i.e. Clipper Creek unit with a J1772), how will the front desk unlock the (Tesla) charge handle from your car?...don't they have to unlock the entire car to be able to unplug it?

Yes, and this is why last July I asked Tesla for a feature where the driver could choose a charging level that is "enough" (at which point the charge port would turn solid green even if it's still charging) and allow the cable to be unplugged above that level. Tesla never replied, but hopefully there's a feature like this in their plans at some point.

As it is now, if you leave your number and someone calls, you either have to go out to your car or briefly unlock it with the app until they unplug, trusting that they won't go into your car (not a very appealing option).

As it is now, if you leave your number and someone calls, you either have to go out to your car or briefly unlock it with the app until they unplug, trusting that they won't go into your car (not a very appealing option).

On my (android) version of the app, when you are viewing the "Charge" tab, there is a button at the top right of the screen. That button is dual purpose. If your charge port is closed, the button text says "Open Port". If the port is open and a cable plugged in, the button text says "Unlock Port".

Alternatively, you can also choose to "Set Charge Limit" and move the slider into the green, so that the car will finish charging and release the port within a few seconds.

Once the car is charged, the Start Charge / Stop Charge button turns into an Unlock Port button.

That button only appears when charging is complete to the charge level you selected (which I agree is the most common situation where you'd want to unlock). But if someone calls to ask if they can charge and you have enough so you use the app to stop charging, the button changes to Start Charge rather than Unlock Port.

However, I just tried what KenN suggested and it works: change the charge limit to below the current charge level, then Start Charging. It will start charging briefly, then stop, and the button will change to Unlock Port.

So it's a bit awkward in some situations, but it is possible to unlock the charge port from the app - thanks.

I still think the feature I requested is important, for two reasons: it allows the driver to pick a charge level that is "enough" and decide whether unlocking the port above that level is OK, all in advance, so that it's not necessary to disturb him/her in the middle of the night. And second, it gives other drivers an indication that the car has charged enough and can be unplugged, again without disturbing the owner.

That's a good idea Peter...release the lock after a certain (programmable) SOC reached, or, release the lock after a certain time of day...

Yes, and this is why last July I asked Tesla for a feature where the driver could choose a charging level that is "enough" (at which point the charge port would turn solid green even if it's still charging) and allow the cable to be unplugged above that level. Tesla never replied, but hopefully there's a feature like this in their plans at some point.

Agressive action is going to be required in Woodstock since there's a gym in the complex. Here's an example from another gym today (and the plow piled snow in the one non-ICEd spot).

World Gym.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly, +1

That button only appears when charging is complete to the charge level you selected (which I agree is the most common situation where you'd want to unlock). But if someone calls to ask if they can charge and you have enough so you use the app to stop charging, the button changes to Start Charge rather than Unlock Port.

However, I just tried what KenN suggested and it works: change the charge limit to below the current charge level, then Start Charging. It will start charging briefly, then stop, and the button will change to Unlock Port.

So it's a bit awkward in some situations, but it is possible to unlock the charge port from the app - thanks.

I still think the feature I requested is important, for two reasons: it allows the driver to pick a charge level that is "enough" and decide whether unlocking the port above that level is OK, all in advance, so that it's not necessary to disturb him/her in the middle of the night. And second, it gives other drivers an indication that the car has charged enough and can be unplugged, again without disturbing the owner.