Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Port Hope Planning & Development office and they said that Tesla was there discussing the plan at some point but they don't have a permit on file (either in the process or approved) at this point. The fact that the "coming soon" marker showed up on Tesla's map suggests they are working on this, but it hasn't gotten to permit stage yet, unless the person I spoke to just couldn't find it, or Tesla switched to some other location. So keeping fingers crossed, but it's looking like it'll be well into 2016...

If you want a reason to be hopeful: Port Hope shows as "Coming Soon" on the Today map and also appears on the 2015 map, whereas some other Coming Soon stations are not on the 2015 map, like Erie, PA. So maybe Tesla is still thinking they can get it done this year (not to say that they'll succeed...).

I called the Port Hope Planning & Development office and they said that Tesla was there discussing the plan at some point but they don't have a permit on file (either in the process or approved) at this point. The fact that the "coming soon" marker showed up on Tesla's map suggests they are working on this, but it hasn't gotten to permit stage yet, unless the person I spoke to just couldn't find it, or Tesla switched to some other location. So keeping fingers crossed, but it's looking like it'll be well into 2016...

Did the city officials give any indication of where Tesla was talking about placing it? When the Baxter, MN SC appeared as "coming soon" I stopped at the city hall there to see if there was a permit already issued (with the intent of getting a picture of it and posting it to the forum). The clerk said there had been discussion but there wasn't a permit yet because part of the permitting process involved Tesla indicating the name of the firm doing the construction and they hadn't done wo. But the clerk did tell me where Tesla had said they wanted to put it. So, I drove to the spot and found construction of the SC was already underway. One of the construction guys said he had gotten an electrical permit so he didn't know what the clerk was talking about. I kept my mouth shut about it because I didn't want to say anything that might slow things down.

All of which is to suggest that it would be good if anyone who is passing through Port Hope might want to check wherever the city officials think the SC is going to be located, see if there's any activity. Communication between public and private isn't always clear.

No, she just said there was no permit on file, but they had dropped by to discuss it (didn't say if it was a Tesla person or someone representing Tesla). There are only a few good locations in Port Hope, so once construction starts, it should be easy for someone to find it. My guess is the mall at Toronto Rd & Marsh Rd; another possibility is near the Comfort Inn just north of exit 464.

November 4th email response from the Municipality regarding a Port Hope Permit:

Good afternoon,
Thank you for the inquiry. A building permit is not required for the installation of an electrical device. You might inquire of the ESA.
I trust this answers your question. Should you have any further question do not hesitate to contact me.
Respectfully,

Building Inspector
Property Standards Officer
By-Law Enforcement Officer
[email protected]

Don't know, but there is really not enough left of 2015 to worry much about it :wink: ...I still think that this location is Grimsby, not Hamilton...for the tourist trade in Niagara, it would be great if this location was done by mid 2016 :smile:

Last edited:
Don't know, but there is really not enough left of 2015 to worry much about it :wink: ...I still think that this location is Grimsby, not Hamilton...for the tourist trade in Niagara, it would be great if this location was done by mid 2016 :smile:
As I have said several times before Grimsby is way inferior the Ham/Burl 407/403/QEW intersection. It would also be useful for folks doing the London to Toronto return as Woodstock is too close to London in some ways for those folks. Grimsby is out of the way unless you are going to Niagara.

@Jaff - I can't imagine Grimsby is very useful for you unless your home charger is down. At least Ham/Burl would give you a quick shot of juice if you were worried about running out before getting home.

Hamilton may be Hamilton/Burlington, because there are supposed to be SChs at both ends of 407, more or less. But does anyone think that will come in 2016? Or Port Hope or whatever it is in 2015? Is it under construction? 26 days and counting---down :confused:
I highly doubt we will see any new openings in 2015. The biggest and most likely Canadian development will be that we will see the Super Charger map updated in late December / early January! :wink:

I can't imagine Grimsby is very useful for you unless your home charger is down. At least Ham/Burl would give you a quick shot of juice if you were worried about running out before getting home.

I agree Wayne...I really wouldn't use a Grimsby Supercharger...a Grimsby Supercharger allows Toronto folks to visit NOTL and Niagara's wineries easier, as they would not have to cross the border to Buffalo to recharge.

Going from Niagara towards Toronto, I wouldn't need to SuperCharge in Burlington to get by Toronto...the Port Hope Supercharger would be my target.