Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the Montreal service center on Friday, its quite busy. I took some pictures. I don't know but they were busy breaking ground and cutting the cement up front on the left. Its too soon to tell, but I can imagine Superchargers stall right there. It would looks great overall right up front. I'll check back this week.

The service area is SO MUCH larger than the current Laval location with their two lifts. In the new one there are 4 garage doors.

I see fresh red Tesla paint in the showroom area. If work continues at that pace we could see this location open in a couple weeks...

IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG
IMG_4625.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG
IMG_4623.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Kalud.

I hope they eventually redo the sidewalk and adjacent "grass", looks pretty run down.

Still crickets (now semi-frozen) in Drummondville?

If it keeps going this way, Kingston will be online before the one Quebec SCh even breaks ground... :cursing:

(Not that having Kingston online is a bad thing!)

FANTASTIC! This is the one we've all been waiting for. I have a trip to Toronto on Dec 4 and another on Dec 27. If they can stick to the 3-4 week construction timeline, it'll be there for Dec 4. I won't be totally surprised if they miss that date, but the odds are looking pretty good for Dec 27 at least!

I know it's not really part of the Eastern Canada Superchargers thread, but there seems to be movement on the Buffalo supercharger as well. I received an e-mail from a PlugShare contact today:

"Tesla is meeting at Clarence town court at 7:45 pm on November 5 to get permit for supercharger on transit road. Please show up for support if you can."

Unfortunately I'll be out of town on that date, but if anyone happens to be in the Buffalo area, I'm sure they would appreciate the support.

Four of the six bays at Cornwall have the confusing "30 minute General Parking" signs. It may never matter, but it's a bit odd, since most sites only seem to allow ICEing in two spots.

I'm concerned about this too, and I don't think they should be allowing ICEing at all. They are spending a ton of money on the Supercharger network and it seems crazy to have a portion of that investment wasted because of ICEd spots. It's like putting in charging stations that only work 75% of the time (or any percentage less than 100). I know they have to negotiate the terms with the landowner, but surely they can make this part of the arrangement. I count 405 parking spaces within a short walk of the supercharger spaces. The equipment will take 3 of those; I would think they could arrange to have the 6 charging spaces also allocated only for charging.

So I just sent this to [email protected]. I'll let you know what they say.

I'm thrilled to see that construction started today for the Supercharger station in Kingston, Ontario! This is a critical link in the Supercharger network, linking 3 of Canada's 4 largest cities. Filling this gap is long overdue and will make owning a Model S in Eastern Canada much more attractive. Thank you for getting this project to the construction stage!

I have a concern about this project, relating to the signage. The plans for the Kingston construction project show two signs to be posted at the charging spaces (see attached), with the wording:

• Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking
  • Tesla 30 Minute Parking
To be frank, these signs are completely inadequate for getting across the point that these spaces are to be used for charging only; they are not parking spaces. They say nothing about whether non-electric cars may charge there, so people in gas cars or in non-Tesla EVs (or even Teslas that aren't charging) may choose to park there and nothing in the signs says they can't.

I would think that by now Tesla has enough experience dealing with this problem at the over 200 Supercharger stations around the world to know that a simple improvement to the signage is all it takes to solve this. You are investing a lot of money in the Supercharger network (money that came from Model S owners like me) -- too much to have a significant percentage of the charging spaces effectively "down" due to being occupied by non-charging cars.

The attached signs are what I would like to see at the charging spaces. They use the standard "No Parking" symbol that everyone recognizes and associates with a legal restriction and associated fines. They make it clear that the only exception is for electric vehicle charging, and they indicate that violators will be towed. Even if there aren't adequate local resources for frequent enforcement, clearly marking the spaces as "No Parking" and occasionally ticketing violators should keep the vast majority of potential violators out.

If the signs in the plans are just examples and you're planning to use proper "No Parking" signs, then thank you and please forgive this intrusion. But if not, now is the time to sort this out, before the wrong signs are installed and the problems start.

And finally, I have a trip from Ottawa to Toronto planned for December 4th, so if the crew keeps to the 3-4 week schedule that Tesla forecasted, the Supercharger will be ready for my trip. Many other Tesla owners drive that route frequently and are also anxiously waiting for the Supercharger to come online. So we would really appreciate all the necessary efforts to stick to the schedule. In particular, I hope we don't see a utility connection delay like is happening at the Hope BC supercharger - it has been 7 1/2 weeks since construction was completed, and the station is still not online.

Forgive me if this sounds kind of negative - I really am excited about having the Kingston supercharger coming online soon. I just want to make sure that Tesla drivers (and Tesla) don't have to deal with problems that could be easily avoided.

Thank you

SignsFromPlans.jpg
Charging Space Sign.jpg
Tow-away Sign.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this Kingston Supercharger... From Montreal, I've been waiting for it for years but this now removes the excuse that I was using about not being able to visit my family in Toronto over Christmas.

Thanks for spending the time to send that letter. It's particularly true that you don't want ICEing in a shopping center where someone could easily leave their car for hours.

Exactly, and you'd have no way to track down the driver like you could at a hotel. On the good side, they are putting the charging spaces in the middle of the parking lot, not adjacent to any particular store, so hopefully people will naturally choose to park elsewhere. It just seems wrong to me to leave it to chance. What's the harm in making it clear that these aren't parking spaces?

Unfortunately, Tesla's answer to my email wasn't very satisfactory - it seems like a form-letter response to any query about ICEing:

Thank you for your email and feedback. We closely monitor each site and will take steps to help prevent blocked charging stalls if a recurring problem arises.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Exactly, and you'd have no way to track down the driver like you could at a hotel. On the good side, they are putting the charging spaces in the middle of the parking lot, not adjacent to any particular store, so hopefully people will naturally choose to park elsewhere. It just seems wrong to me to leave it to chance. What's the harm in making it clear that these aren't parking spaces?

Unfortunately, Tesla's answer to my email wasn't very satisfactory - it seems like a form-letter response to any query about ICEing:
Peter,
It could be part of the deal with these malls and outlets when Tesla requests to install superchargers.
As if the spaces where shared between Tesla and the landlord.

It may be, but my point is I don't see why Tesla couldn't or didn't arrange exclusive access. There are over 400 spaces in that parking lot; 3 will be taken for SC equipment and I think they could have arranged exclusive access for the other 6. Their approach seems to be to wait until there's a problem, when they will have unhappy customers.