Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers in NE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my MS85 last June the sales guy talked me out of the dual chargers convincing me all my charging will be overnight. A month before my MS went into production I tried to have it added but they refused to do so. Of course, I'm fine with the single charger, but as I start planning for trips into upstate NY, NH & Maine, there are HPWC I can use (other Tesla owners) where no superchargers currently exist and where I will not be spending the night. I REALLY wish I had gotten the dual chargers for the flexibility. For sure it's not the end of the world but it would make life easier I'm convinced.

It would be really cool if someday they offer quad chargers and a wall EVSE to match........Kind of a supercharger lite.

Last edited:
Technical fact: each charger takes a maximum of 40A, regardless of voltage. Example: if you have 70A at 208v, with a single charger you can only tap 40A at 208, or 8kW, rather than 10kW (48A at 208v).
Isn't it also true that each charger is capped at 10kw, so hypothetically, if you fed the chargers with 277V (such as in a supercharger), they wouldn't pull more than 36A?

the AC input to the SuperChargers (which in reallity is just 12 Model S chargers, setup in groups of 3 to balance the three phase input) is a maximum of 277V, which is what you get with a 480V three phase service (line to neutral on each leg is 277V), this is how they get 135KW maximum from each SC cabinet (which then services 2 charging stanchions). The power from the SC to the Model S is DC, up to 400V or so.. its the OUTPUT of the chargers, which directly connect to the battery pack, via relays.

I thought that the voltage is capped at 250, which is the normal over-voltage limit for 240v circuits (which then results in 10kW). While I'm not sure how Tesla handles the innards of the Superchargers, I don't think you'll find anything about 250V in the wild.
Somewhere, someone posted pictures of a charger. The label shows an input voltage range of ~100-277 VAC. I don't remember the lower end, but the upper was definitely 277.

- - - Updated - - -

the AC input to the SuperChargers (which in reallity is just 12 Model S chargers, setup in groups of 3 to balance the three phase input) is a maximum of 277V, which is what you get with a 480V three phase service (line to neutral on each leg is 277V), this is how they get 135KW maximum from each SC cabinet (which then services 2 charging stanchions). The power from the SC to the Model S is DC, up to 400V or so.. its the OUTPUT of the chargers, which directly connect to the battery pack, via relays.
Do we know for sure that the 135kW SC's still use 12 chargers? Then maybe the 10kW/36A limit no longer applies, and each charger can pull 40A@277V, for 11kW.

12 chargers * 36A@277V = ~120kW
12 chargers * 40A@277V = ~135kW