Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GNelson, did you happen to get any pics of how it is assembled or attached? My Ranger told me it is screwed in place, and it sounded like the side pieces were screwed into the center piece. But I don't know if this will leave holes in the two ridges currently on the floor. That would be a showstopper for me.

While I agree it is preferred to have a drop-in console insert that can be easily removed - what happens to the console if the car is in a high speed collision? /...
The folks behind this alternative:

CCI Tesla Model S Aftermarket Center Console Insert Parts, Accessories | Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla Model S

Soflauthor's center console insert

...have thought about that scenario. I know I've read about it somewhere – either here on TMC or on their website. If you can't find that info on their website (I didn't check before writing this post), then I'm sure they'll get back to you if you contact them.

Have you looked at the Skene design web site, have an XK8 and never put on a front plate (live in California). But was able to install the front plate down low and I like the look. Very easy to install and 2 small screws that go on the underside of the nose cone so you cannot see them and if you want to remove the plate the hole are not visible.
I'll probably go with Torklift Central's option when I can find a weekday to go have them install it.

GNelson, did you happen to get any pics of how it is assembled or attached? My Ranger told me it is screwed in place, and it sounded like the side pieces were screwed into the center piece. But I don't know if this will leave holes in the two ridges currently on the floor. That would be a showstopper for me.
I did not take photos and I am not sure how it will be attached. The sides were exposed. I did not have them unwrap all the parts to look at the side covers. I suspect it will be secured to the interior floor inside the current cavity. I will ask the SC on Wednesday after it is installed about how they secured it.

All -

I saw one with Obeche Matte Decor installed in a Model S last night at the Syosset, NY Grand Opening Party... It's DEFINITELY of very high quality and am now excited to get my invitation to order it. I emailed on October 15th and got a response half an hour later. I am also getting it with Obeche Matte Decor.

Brian

When did you put yourself on the list?

Aaron

Last edited:
All -

I saw one with Obeche Matte Decor installed in a Model S last night at the Syosset, NY Grand Opening Party... It's DEFINITELY of very high quality and am now excited to get my invitation to order it. I emailed on October 15th and got a response half an hour later. I am also getting it with Obeche Matte Decor.

Brian

Aaron
Within a few days of the CHAdeMO adapter announcement, I joined both waitlists.

Last edited:
All -

Brian

Aaron
I was put on the wait list on Dec 2nd. Last week I sent an email to TM asking about my status and received:
"you are ~1230 on the waitlist out of over 3500 customers. We estimate that a console will be available to ship to you in the April."

So people here are primarily complaining about not being able to order, but not enough who actually have installed the thing to comment on its quality. Great!

I took the plunge and ordered it, for better or worse. I guess I'll find out for myself.

By the time you and I need to decide, there should be plenty of installs.

So people here are primarily complaining about not being able to order, but not enough who actually have installed the thing to comment on its quality. Great!

I took the plunge and ordered it, for better or worse. I guess I'll find out for myself.

Aside from being a permanent install, I haven't seen anything else posted about it as far as negatives go. Aside from appeasing the wives with the open space down below (which kinda surprises me, since I would think the pack-rat in them would make them like having the extra storage compartment), I wouldn't fret over it hitting the resale value, since unlike the front license plate, this is adding value to the car, not really taking anything away from it.

People have commented on the forums before about how they don't know anyone who test drove the car that said they didn't want the car. Well, I have to say I know people who have. My friend's parents. They are normal buyers of the luxury class cars. And they hated the interior of the MS because of all the things it lacked. This is of course affecting my friends judgment, since he takes everything his parents say with a lot of weight (He won't ever consider buying a condo, because of a one bad experience his parents had). As such, I am hoping that me making him sit in my car, and drive my car, will finalize him toward the MS... and get him to come on board!

Anyway, point being, there are people who are turned off of the MS because of a lack of "creature-comforts". Without these I think they are going to hurt their sales down the road (yes, demand is really high right now... but when saturation levels hit a certain point these people will be important to capture).

I have to agree. I love the MS but my wife was really disappointed that there is so little storage (center console, seat back pockets, etc.). The center console is a must for us.

Not to turn this into a "should there be a center console" discussion but, for the record, I asked my wife her opinion regarding ordering the center console and she much preferred the open space. Now, she's an oddball artist so may swim against the tide a bit.

Not to turn this into a "should there be a center console" discussion but, for the record, I asked my wife her opinion regarding ordering the center console and she much preferred the open space. Now, she's an oddball artist so may swim against the tide a bit.

...not oddball... my wife looks at the open center console as a great feature and would not give it up.

Yes, and this is why removability is desired...to be able to return instantly to that nice open space when you need it (or the wife wants it).

I think as others have said, that it would come down to a safety issue. Which is why they have to bolt it down. If you want remove-ability then I would strongly suggest you consider the CCI. From what I hear, it is a really solid product, and can be removed and/or inserted in 5 minutes.

There is probably some legal aspect behind this. Installing something that isn't bolted down (as the manufacturer) and could fly around in an accident might not be a smart tubing for them to do.

Even if there isn't a legal requirement, they really do want to have a safe product on the road (hence their front end collision tests being done at 55 mph instead of 30.) So I would venture to guess this is a valid reason from the bolt down. It sucks, in some regards but I think I would rather that than the alternative...

Even if there isn't a legal requirement, they really do want to have a safe product on the road (hence their front end collision tests being done at 55 mph instead of 30.) So I would venture to guess this is a valid reason from the bolt down. It sucks, in some regards but I think I would rather that than the alternative...

Another explanation is that the design of their center console turned out to be inherently unstable.