Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Soflauthor's center console insert

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Place holder.

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586

Soflauthor's center console insert

I asked for some ideas on the teslamotors.com site a while back, got some good feedback there imho.

Ideas for *that* center space | Forums | Tesla Motors

We'll use this thread to consolidate?

Edit: after skimming the post, I note that Soflauthor had some great full console designs in there.

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    I asked for some ideas on the teslamotors.com site a while back, got some good feedback there imho.

Ideas for *that* center space | Forums | Tesla Motors

We'll use this thread to consolidate?

Edit: after skimming the post, I note that Soflauthor had some great full console designs in there.
    Thanks for the compliment, @JasonS. It sounds to me as if TM's approach will be modular, which is fine. I just hope we'll be able to construct a full center console and that it will blend nicely with the flow of the interior design. If for some reason, the "opportunity console" doesn't meet my needs, I intend to have an updated version of the design you referred to fabricated by a third party.

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    A number of you have referenced my rudimentary line sketch (post # 126) of a full center console insert (CCI) and expressed some interest in something like it. I took a 2 - hour break from real work this afternoon to draw a more detailed (if still a bit sloppy) annotated sketch in the hope that TM might provide a professionally designed version of this modular option as part of the "opportunity console." Consider this a more refined recommendation, TM.

The CCI design is self-contained. It can be press-fit and inserted into the existing central floor channels or fastened to the channel base using a very simple fastening system. The darkened area is the press fit portion of the CCI shaped to the exact contour of the channel interior walls and floor. The press-fit portion sits below the top of the channels (unseen by occupants). The CCI can be inserted directly, without the need to remove any existing hardware or interior elements. The top of the CCI will be just a bit below the top of the front seat surfaces, so it maintains a low profile.

The CCI contains three storage boxes. All storage box have 'smooth-glide' flip-up covers and the entire central surface is covered in accessory trim (in my case, lacewood). The main storage box is 5" deep and allows for 'insertable' specialty modules—e.g., a self-contained cup-holder (to manage spillage) that is pressed into place inside the box (it can be removed for cleaning). The sides of the CCI are leather (to match) and the top surface of the CCI is recessed about an inch, allowing the driver to place a purse or small leather case and not have it slide off during cornering.

I would argue that the CCI I propose is simple to build and very simple to install. In fact, if done properly, it could be installed by the owner with no problem.

My guess is that more complete CAD drawing can be generated in a few days (if one has the accurate dimensions of the central interior space and channels), a prototype can be built in less than two weeks, and fabrication drawings and specs can be implemented within another week.

IMO, a full CCI like this should be available in August +/-, or very shortly thereafter. Speaking only for myself, if that doesn't happen, I'll build a prototype immediately after I take delivery and then try to find a fabricator that can realize my design asap. I suspect that this might be a small business opportunity, if TM decides not to provide a full CCI (an error, IMO). In any event, I'll have a full CCI my car -- it's just that I'd prefer not to have to go it alone, but I will.

Name:  CCISketch.JPG
Views: 5873
Size:  154.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Soflauthor View Post
    it's just that I'd prefer not to have to go it alone, but I will.
    You won't be going it alone. I actually told George B the same thing at one of the events. I outlined (verbally) something similar to what you've taken the time to draw up and told him if Tesla doesn't build this, I will and make a business of it. He assured me that their plan is to do so and to have options. I'm happy to step aside as you're clearly quite capable. I have no doubt that if Tesla doesn't build something similar to what you've designed, there'll be a nice market there for what you create. I will be first in line (can I write my check now to get CCI #1?). That said, I have fairly strong confidence that Tesla will build the right thing.

I want to add that my confidence is slightly shaken by the fact that they missed the boat so badly on this subject up until recently. The pole above shows that 85% of us are not happy with the open space as it is so I'd say that's almost a fail by definition. For a company that seems to have absolutely nailed it on so many fine details, they sure missed this big easy change up over the middle of the plate. Luckily this is the kind of detail that can be fixed. This is literally the only thing that shakes my confidence to date.
    Last edited by SigGuy; 06-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Soflauthor!

Tesla, George, I really like Soflauthor's design. It gives me everything I need storage-wise to hold just the things I need. It also keeps Telsa's style/look of the low profile nicely. With this design, you get more/better storage than most sedans, while still having a much lower profile, keeping most of the space open. It shows how Model S can be the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    Tesla, George, I really like Soflauthor's design. It gives me everything I need storage-wise to hold just the things I need. It also keeps Telsa's style/look of the low profile nicely. With this design, you get more/better storage than most sedans, while still having a much lower profile, keeping most of the space open. It shows how Model S can be the best of both worlds!
    I disagree. While Soflauthor's design is interesting, it is for a full center console. You will have to put your bag/purse in the passenger footwell, behind you, or in the frunk. Stealing all of the floor space between the seats for a full center console is something that Tesla's designers have actively decided against. Since we have an opportunity to do better, let's not take away all of that open space and force it into rigid compartments. Let's assume Tesla's designers have the right goals and work within those.

I'll re-reference the Honda Ridgeline design I posted here earlier. It keeps enough of the floor open for a bag or purse, and so meets Tesla's design goals of emphasizing open space, no driveshaft tunnel, as well as being practical for your bag/purse. It also has compartments and cupholders.

The proposed by Tesla console also keeps much of the open space, and adds some storage near the dash. This is good, but not enough. Now, I think what's needed to to add storage to the existing center console, which only has two cup holders. This is a real waste of space. It should have at a minimum a flip up top for wallets, cellphones, coins, etc. I'd prefer that it also have storage underneath, like the Ridgeline. Now, maybe Tesla's got some stuff (air ducts?) there and that space isn't available for us.

Right now my biggest concern - and I expect to get serious flak for this statement - is that the populist vote for filling up the whole space with compartments and such will wreck the original intention of the design, much like the addition of sunshades to the panoramic roof greatly enlarged the center bar, wrecking the whole advantage of having a panoramic sunroof. Let's not go overboard on the storage such that it wrecks the original design intent.

Solflauthor, thanks for the details! Please consider placing the cup holder module in a separate dedicated bin rather than including it as a module in the storage bin under the flip up lids. If the cup holders are under the flip up lids, the lids must remain open and the storage bin will be exposed whenever there is a beverage in a cup holder. This means we cannot leave the car with a beverage in a cup holder without exposing everything in that storage bin. Most of us leave water bottles, etc. in our cup holders when parking the car to run errands. Including the cup holders in the same storage module under the flip up lids is an invitation for thieves to steal what's in that storage bin. If you agree with this iteration it would be great to see it incorporated if you do another sketch for Tesla. IMO your proposal looks just fantastic otherwise for those wishing to trade off the open space for a more traditional, larger console. Thanks so much for the time you spent on this. Hopefully Tesla will offer something very similar as an option.

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by ddruz View Post
    Solflauthor, thanks for the details! Please consider placing the cup holder module in a separate dedicated bin rather than including it as a module in the storage bin under the flip up lids. If the cup holders are under the flip up lids, the lids must remain open and the storage bin will be exposed whenever there is a beverage in a cup holder. This means we cannot leave the car with a beverage in a cup holder without exposing everything in that storage bin. Most of us leave water bottles, etc. in our cup holders when parking the car to run errands. Including the cup holders in the same storage module under the flip up lids is an invitation for thieves to steal what's in that storage bin. If you agree with this iteration it would be great to see it incorporated if you do another sketch for Tesla. IMO your proposal looks just fantastic otherwise for those wishing to trade off the open space for a more traditional, larger console. Thanks so much for the time you spent on this. Hopefully Tesla will offer something very similar as an option.
    @ddruz: You're absolutely right about the cup holder module as I conceived it. My bad.

I think I have an easy and pretty cool solution, but I have no time to redraw it today. Frankly, I'd like to see what, if anything, TM has in mind for a full CCI. If they're against a full CCI on ideological grounds (i.e., "a minimalist interior is what everyone should have," then I wasting my time and theirs). I don't think it's asking too much for a conceptual reveal beyond what George B. mentioned. It would be hard to believe that the full opportunity console concept hasn't been fleshed out -- even if only one person at TM is working on it part-time. Anyhow, your recommendation vis a vis the cup holder is noted and will be addressed.

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
    Yeah, and how many of us wanted a phone without physical buttons in 2007? Besides, what's that famous quote - that 78% of all statistics are made up?

You could say that so many people insisted that Tesla include a sunshade with the pano roof, and that's why they added one, but that's now ruined the panoramic effect for all of us. This center console is looking to be the same mass design failure, IMHO.
    I'm not sure how an OPTIONAL center console insert could conceivably be a "mass design failure." Only those who want one would buy one. If properly designed, it could be removed on a whim or removed by a follow-on owner when the car is sold. If you want minimalism, the CCI is not for you. No harm, no foul.

I know just enough about product design, engineering, and marketing to be dangerous, and it seems to me that we're in an era of customizable products. In fact, a well-conceived opportunity console—one that provides real, not half-hearted options— could be yet another differentiator for TM. You have every right to state your opinion, but it's hard to understand why you would want those who don't agree with your opinion to accept an interior design that we clearly don't like.

IMO, a CCI would be a design win for TM and for those who'd like a more substantial center console.

Thread Information