Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive In, Not back into SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CCSC.jpg
Although I live about 50 mi S of Crescent City, Ca, I'd never had reason to use the SC until yesterday. And discovered what I'd never seen before, a drive-in setup. Brilliant! How often is this seen?

View attachment 464750 Although I live about 50 mi S of Crescent City, Ca, I'd never had reason to use the SC until yesterday. And discovered what I'd never seen before, a drive-in setup. Brilliant! How often is this seen?
Mammoth lakes and Manteca have two rows of multiple drive-in stations situated like gasoline pumps where one car connects to the front station and another behind it connects to another station in line with it, but not paired electrically, such that 1a through 4b, for instance, are behind 5a through 8b. Such an arrangement would also be useful for a Tesla towing a trailer to charge without having to unhitch.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and vickh
I cant tell in the OP picture, but is there a "View" (landscape, etc, appealing view), in the direction you would be facing by heading in? I suspect so, just looking at the edge of the picture. My guess is, if there is a compelling reason for "head in" parking (a view, or some other reason a customer would want to look out the front), they might set it up that way.

Setting it up that way actually would carry some risk in people hitting the charging station, either pulling in, or pulling out. If there is some sort of appealing view however it would be worth it.

I cant tell in the OP picture, but is there a "View" (landscape, etc, appealing view), in the direction you would be facing by heading in? I suspect so, just looking at the edge of the picture. My guess is, if there is a compelling reason for "head in" parking (a view, or some other reason a customer would want to look out the front), they might set it up that way.

Setting it up that way actually would carry some risk in people hitting the charging station, either pulling in, or pulling out. If there is some sort of appealing view however it would be worth it.
I'd guess in this case it's because of the slant parking. They don't want people to back in and be facing the wrong way down the driving lane.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Laurel MD is a straight parking lot with pull in spots. With the ninety degree turn, getting lined up correctly without hitting the pylons is mildly annoying.

This configuration works much better on a 45 like Strasbourg VA and Newburgh NY.

It is frequently a little rare to have the pull forward ones like that when they are up against a curb. They are a little more common if they get a chance to build them out into the middle of a very large parking lot. Here are a couple of examples:
Catoosa, OK (suburb of Tulsa)
Supercharger — Catoosa, OK - Near Tulsa, OK

Seaside, OR
Supercharger - Seaside, OR

Winnemucca, NV These are pull forward stalls, but they are up against a pretty high retaining wall instead of just curb, so they couldn't really build them in the lawn off the edge of the parking lot. The person in this picture didn't seem to understand these were supposed to be pull forward ones, though, and was backed in anyway. :D
SuperCharger - Winnemucca NV

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker