Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drained P85D Battery to 0.4%! success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just yesterday went further than I had ever before ;) I drove past the 0km point for another .... 10km :) The power limiter ticked in at 50kW so VERY close to the shutdown point. This is by far the best indicator when the car is shutting down so now I know I can get AT LEAST this far. Oh and I had charged to 96% so the from last charge is 96% to 10km below 0 (~-3% according to navigation).
IMG_1135.jpg

Mario, I see you got to 71.3kwh. We should have 85 batteries, but you cant drain it completely. I know a few people have shut down on the road. I am just curious if the shutdown and wont let you drive is 75 or a certain proprietary number? WK, want to weigh in on this?

Mario, I see you got to 71.3kwh. We should have 85 batteries, but you cant drain it completely. I know a few people have shut down on the road. I am just curious if the shutdown and wont let you drive is 75 or a certain proprietary number? WK, want to weigh in on this?

I think the Tesla algorithm that shows the kWh spent doesn't include a bunch of things. Here's an extreme drive from a bit over a year ago on 5.8:

IMG_0801.JPG

As you can see I didn't use up the full battery (there's about 3% left and I think it'd have gone a bit more) and I had consumed almost 78kWh. These days going the same kind of usage a full charge is more like 74kWh or less. What I think changed is that the car doesn't put the climate usage into this number. Driving for 4.5h let's say at 1-2kW heater usage would give you 5-9kWh of heater energy used. That covers the difference. Also another data point as a reference is that last summer I took part in a rally where at one point I had to wait 1h in +32C heat with doors open and cooling blasting. Driving away the energy graph had absolutely no spike of used energy and the kWh used didn't jump even though I'd assume the cooling was blasting at 3-4kW at least and it was one hour so I should have spent about 3-4kWh of battery, but it never registered. That all is starting from 5.9 so that's where I think the algorithm no longer shows the AC usage.

If the car isn't in D or R, the power used won't register in the energy numbers. This includes sitting and web surfing on the display, climate control, etc., or even coasting in N. I get no credit in the Wh/mi if I put the car in neutral and let it roll downhill on my driveway.

Well I haven't done that in our Tesla yet but we have done quite the adventure in the Nissan Leaf
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15193
It was quite the trip and this was before and CHAdeMO stations were up in Kansas City. Ran out of charge twice. Once because of going to wrong campground, my fault, and another because of High head wind died on us literally within a mile of the charging station.

Well I just yesterday went further than I had ever before ;) I drove past the 0km point for another .... 10km :) The power limiter ticked in at 50kW so VERY close to the shutdown point. This is by far the best indicator when the car is shutting down so now I know I can get AT LEAST this far. Oh and I had charged to 96% so the from last charge is 96% to 10km below 0 (~-3% according to navigation).
View attachment 75712

That seems like a high consumption at 241wh/km... Heavy foot maybe?