Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downside of Tesla Ownership...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So guys I am a Leaf and smart ED owner and wannabe tesla owner so I don't understand what's happening here. Does the Tesla turn off when you walk away from it or do you still have to push a button to turn it off like the leaf.

Thanks.

John.

More specifically, it shuts down if there is no weight on the driver seat and the door opens and closes. (Had to try this early on, when an older release of AP2 was refusing to work. I was too lazy to actually climb out of the car (on the road shoulder) so I just “levitated” off the seat and cycled the door.

It's totally automatic if you have the fob with you. You just walk to the car, get in and drive away. When you arrive at your destination, you just put it in Park and walk away. No buttons required.
I'll just add that, it's a user-configurable option that when you walk away, you can set the car to either lock, or stay unlocked. (To totally beat the dead horse, the car is already "off" when you get out of the seat with the fob)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The other day when I was getting my dash cam installed by a technician, he wanted me to turn off the car while he was working inside the car. I didn't know how to turn it off other than just walking away from the car. I searched for a button on the touchscreen and even double-pressed on the key fob after walking away from the car but the IC still didn't display 'car off' sign. The guy was looking at me like I don't even know how to operate the car :rolleyes:. This is what owning a Tesla does to you ;)

The other day when I was getting my dash cam installed by a technician, he wanted me to turn off the car while he was working inside the car. I didn't know how to turn it off other than just walking away from the car. I searched for a button on the touchscreen and even double-pressed on the key fob after walking away from the car but the IC still didn't display 'car off' sign. The guy was looking at me like I don't even know how to operate the car :rolleyes:. This is what owning a Tesla does to you ;)

is there a way to turn the car off other than walking away with the fob?

is there a way to turn the car off other than walking away with the fob?
Starting
When you open a door, Model S powers on the instrument panel and touchscreen. The instrument panel displays the status of doors and the charge level, and you can operate all controls.
To drive:
• PRESS THE BRAKE - Model S powers on and is ready to drive.
• SELECT A GEAR - all the way down for Drive and all the way up for Reverse.
Everything you need to know when driving Model S displays on the instrument panel.
Key Not Inside
If Model S does not detect a key when you press the brake, the instrument panel displays a message telling you that a key was not detected.
Place the key in the center console cup holder where Model S can best detect it.
Powering O
When you nish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key, it powers o automatically, turning o the touchscreen and instrument panel.
Model S also powers o automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power o Model S while you are still sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > E-Brake & Power
O > Power O . Model S automatically powers back on again if you press the brake or touch anywhere on the touchscreen.

Note: Model S automatically shifts into Park whenever you leave the vehicle, even if you shift into Neutral before exiting. To keep Model S in Neutral, see Keeping Your Vehicle in Neutral (Tow Mode) on page 42.

Starting
When you open a door, Model S powers on the instrument panel and touchscreen. The instrument panel displays the status of doors and the charge level, and you can operate all controls.
To drive:
• PRESS THE BRAKE - Model S powers on and is ready to drive.
• SELECT A GEAR - all the way down for Drive and all the way up for Reverse.
Everything you need to know when driving Model S displays on the instrument panel.
Key Not Inside
If Model S does not detect a key when you press the brake, the instrument panel displays a message telling you that a key was not detected.
Place the key in the center console cup holder where Model S can best detect it.
Powering O
When you nish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key, it powers o automatically, turning o the touchscreen and instrument panel.
Model S also powers o automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power o Model S while you are still sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > E-Brake & Power
O > Power O . Model S automatically powers back on again if you press the brake or touch anywhere on the touchscreen.

Note: Model S automatically shifts into Park whenever you leave the vehicle, even if you shift into Neutral before exiting. To keep Model S in Neutral, see Keeping Your Vehicle in Neutral (Tow Mode) on page 42.

thanks Daniellane!

I do have a 2nd question though if you take the car to a drive in movie is there a way to keep it running or just keep shifting on occasion to stay ahead of the 15 minute shut down

Mistake.. but I drove my MS to a Ford dealership while shopping for a truck.

4 sales people immediately came out to look at the car and ask a bunch of questions.
Funny, seemed like roles were reversed, as I realized what felt it must be like to be in car sales.

Took a bit longer to do what I came for ..... but no worries, I'm keeping the TESLA.

I thought they were going to price gouge you on the truck because they noticed you showing up in a Tesla.

thanks Daniellane!

I do have a 2nd question though if you take the car to a drive in movie is there a way to keep it running or just keep shifting on occasion to stay ahead of the 15 minute shut down

Haven’t been to a drive-in in decades. They still exist?

I think just pressing on the brake will restart. Assuming you are concerned with tha climate control, I am aware that some 3rd party apps have a camper mode.
For example:
Remote S for Tesla by Rego Apps
Remote S for Tesla on the App Store

Have not used any 3rd party apps that require my MyTesla credentials.

Haven’t been to a drive-in in decades. They still exist?

I think just pressing on the brake will restart. Assuming you are concerned with tha climate control, I am aware that some 3rd party apps have a camper mode.
For example:
Remote S for Tesla by Rego Apps

Have not used any 3rd party apps that require my MyTesla credentials.
lol yes where I live in northern Illinois there is a famous one called the Cascade. still going after 70 years or so

lol yes where I live in northern Illinois there is a famous one called the Cascade. still going after 70 years or so
Has there been formal request for a Camper Mode vs "hack" of Neutral/Parking_brake/Lock where the lights and screen are even left on?

Tesla Model S: Camper Mode - YouTube

Check out this thread. Probably would anger of you moviegoers if you left your lights on but it’s good to know that you can do this if necessary.

Reactions: kidjim25