Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75 on the front and 55 for the front doors, and 75 for the rear doors

I am waiting on my MX to come in next couple weeks.
Question about those who have put photosync on the front window: The photosync installer in south florida says that he does not have a large enough piece to cover the front window. So for those who have had it done, did they have a large enough piece or did they only do part of the window?

I am waiting on my MX to come in next couple weeks.
Question about those who have put photosync on the front window: The photosync installer in south florida says that he does not have a large enough piece to cover the front window. So for those who have had it done, did they have a large enough piece or did they only do part of the window?

Yes, mine was done with a single piece.

• Informative
Reactions: m2s2
Thanks looks like your in California. I guess I need to talk to our installer here in South Florida see he doesn't seem to have a similar supply.

My guy said that Photosync was one of the only makers that makes a sheet large enough to cover the pano windshield in one piece. I don't know if Photosync comes in different size rolls or sheets...

If it makes you feel any better, So Cal prices seem to be much higher than the national avg....

My guy said that Photosync was one of the only makers that makes a sheet large enough to cover the pano windshield in one piece. I don't know if Photosync comes in different size rolls or sheets...

If it makes you feel any better, So Cal prices seem to be much higher than the national avg....

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost and what kind of coverage did you get?

When I spoke to the only photosync installer in south Florida, he seemed very knowledgable, but said he did not have sheet larg enough for X windshield. I gotta imagine he has to be able to order one? He said he was also concerned because installing it meant someone needed to get into the front and be able to hold it in place. He made it sound very difficult and seemed worried that if they ruined winshield it is very hard to replace. Did not inspire confidence about the prospect.

Interesting. I had a brand-new 2016 Model S P90DL loaner and I thought the ghosting spread was much less than my Model X. I think it depends a lot on your eye height relative to the windshield curvature (I sit much lower in the S), and the possibility that the MS glass isn't as thick since it is not as big (just a guess).

Got a Model S loaner P85D and it has the same degree of ghosting prior to film application on the X...Hmm

A few days ago, I noticed some "bubbly" distortion when looking through the windshield at an angle. I took this video, and it might be hard to see but if you look at the background (excuse the construction), you can see how it is distorted as I move back and forth with the camera. Specifically, look through the area that would be in front of the driver.

I tried this same thing with my S and had no distortion. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I see some ripple effect in your video and mine has similar degree but a little less. I originally thought it all due to the thicker X windshield. Since my experience with a 14 P85D with AP that has the same ghosting, I am not so sure anymore.

From a distance standing with the FWD open, I definitely could notice what people are reporting as ghosting. I think because I have my seat up, and I'm kind of short, it doesn't affect my vision whatsoever. At least not yet.

The only thing I've noticed was earlier today after it rained. I was standing in my garage with my Model X on my driveway. This is what it looked like. weird? or normal?

Attachments

• windshield-afterrain.jpg
    windshield-afterrain.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 78
From a distance standing with the FWD open, I definitely could notice what people are reporting as ghosting. I think because I have my seat up, and I'm kind of short, it doesn't affect my vision whatsoever. At least not yet.

The only thing I've noticed was earlier today after it rained. I was standing in my garage with my Model X on my driveway. This is what it looked like. weird? or normal?
Normal. Water has some pretty interesting interactions with the tint. I noticed it when (hand) washing the car.

When I mentioned my ghosting issues to the SC, they checked the windshield to make sure there were no "bubble" distortions as that was apparently a known problem in some windshields, which they then replaced. So the good news is they will probably replace that windshield for you if you want, but you might want to wait and see if there is a resolution to the ghosting issues first and take care of it all in a single replacement, assuming they ever come up with new glass to solve this problem.

A few days ago, I noticed some "bubbly" distortion when looking through the windshield at an angle. I took this video, and it might be hard to see but if you look at the background (excuse the construction), you can see how it is distorted as I move back and forth with the camera. Specifically, look through the area that would be in front of the driver.

I tried this same thing with my S and had no distortion. Thoughts?

We just received our X90D 3 weeks ago and can see the ghosting effect. Has anyone successfully made the case to have had their windshield replaced for this situation? I contacted our service center and the first response was adjusting the height of my seating position. I feel it would be a long drawn out conversation with them to even consider making that change for us.

I'm not sure there is good evidence that a replacement windshield will fix the problem as I haven't heard of anyone who can see this problem not seeing it in another windshield. Nor have I heard of a person who can see the ghost images taking a look out of someone's car who does not see the images to report back if they see a difference. The "bubble" distortions mentioned above have been fixed in manufacture, but I haven't heard of anything being done to fix the ghost image issue yet even though many reports of the issue have been given to SCs now.

We just received our X90D 3 weeks ago and can see the ghosting effect. Has anyone successfully made the case to have had their windshield replaced for this situation? I contacted our service center and the first response was adjusting the height of my seating position. I feel it would be a long drawn out conversation with them to even consider making that change for us.