Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rec my car back from SC. Here is what Tesla said about my windshield
Screenshot_20160512-155834.png

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen
Tesla replaced my windshield as a goodwill gesture 10 days ago. The double /triple vision and ghosting effects did not vanish, what was noticeable was the fact that I didn't experience distraction/ headaches/ daytime glare and night time magnified scattering of the light that I had to deal with while driving the car. Also the break lights of other cars at night are not as disturbing as it used to be. Other than my personal experience, I couldn't find any tangable characteristic difference between the two windshields until an accidental discovery recently. With the original windshield the effect was at all angles and distances from the dashboard. One could put one's head on the dash and the problem persisted. With the new windshield, it stops at a foot or so above the dashboard (tint level). No ghosting of any kind occurs at that level. The new windshield is a HUGE improvement compared to the original one, it just takes a bit of getting used. I drove it last night on a two lane windy road with no problem at all. I now understand why some owners won't notice it. Again, the 'ghosting" effect is not gone, but there is very little distraction. I get why it is what others call the new "normal" and I am Ok with it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and newtman
It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim!!

I am getting the double vision during the day too, with red lights, even in bright sunlight. Makes perfect sense what is going on, it is due to the curvature of the windshield. It is more obvious with the red light, since this region has a longer wavelength. To eliminate this, there would need to be optical coatings applied during the windshield manufacturing process, which of course would make the glass more expensive. I can live with it, just as I lived with the distortions in both front and back glass with my Model S for the past three years. Oh, and the rear glass distortions are still there. It is the price we pay for cutting edge technology. Same as the misalignments in the panels, occasional hiccups with the door actuators etc etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx
It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim!!

I am getting the double vision during the day too, with red lights, even in bright sunlight. Makes perfect sense what is going on, it is due to the curvature of the windshield. It is more obvious with the red light, since this region has a longer wavelength. To eliminate this, there would need to be optical coatings applied during the windshield manufacturing process, which of course would make the glass more expensive. I can live with it, just as I lived with the distortions in both front and back glass with my Model S for the past three years. Oh, and the rear glass distortions are still there. It is the price we pay for cutting edge technology. Same as the misalignments in the panels, occasional hiccups with the door actuators etc etc.
Blue has the longer wavelength compared with red and blue causes more aberrations due to being refracted more by surfaces that refract light.

I think one thing to keep in mind is this:

Not to generalize, but most folks able to afford Model S and Model X are older, and may not have as good eyesight, where those working at Tesla may be younger and have better eyesight :p

But seriously, I have sat in a few Model X's, and I probably encountered what is being spoken of exactly once, and I couldn't reproduce the issue. It's not a Tesla problem as people have stated, it is physics. Tesla doesn't make the windscreen glass. Also, the upper, tinted portion is more curved than the bottom portion that people actually look through to drive, so I don't think double vision through the upper portion is that much of a safety risk as people are making it out to be.

Another thought: Since it appears that the magnitude of the problem differs from windshield to windshield (see report about how a replacement windshield had much improved behavior), perhaps it is the Model X's unique windshield with the portion tinted. How is that tinting of the upper portion accomplished? If they do any kind of deposition (coating) of metals or something as part of the tinting process, perhaps there's some "overspray" on some windshields more than others. Such overspray could increase the reflectivity and make the multiple reflections worse. Just a thought.

It's my guess that these are very large and difficult windscreens to make. I suspect that part of the process is to laminate multiple layers together. If the lamination process is not done properly, you can have issues like:
- small air gaps in between the layers
- uneven pressure on layers causing compression stresses rippling through the layer

Even if the windscreen is perfect during manufacturing, undo stresses during transport can also warp the windscreen and induce this issue, especially if all the layers haven't cured 100% yet.

If that is the case, these irregularities can induce ghosting to varying degrees, depending on the magnitude of these imperfections. Therefore, some will not have this issues and some will, to varying degrees. This is an issue that Tesla needs to bring up with their supplier (in Peru, I believe). It would be helpful if Tesla built a test harness to validate the windscreen prior to leaving the factory. It could be as simple as shining a laser through the windscreen and monitoring the laser image on the driver's seat.

It would be helpful if Tesla built a test harness to validate the windscreen prior to leaving the factory. It could be as simple as shining a laser through the windscreen and monitoring the laser image on the driver's seat.
Everything's lasers these days.

I think they could QC them at the Peruvian factory by doing something similar. It could be pretty easily automated if they employed a device that measured the distance between the ghost dots from the laser, and could reject outside of a certain tolerance.

Everything's lasers these days.

I think they could QC them at the Peruvian factory by doing something similar. It could be pretty easily automated if they employed a device that measured the distance between the ghost dots from the laser, and could reject outside of a certain tolerance.
They could mount the laser on a shark stuffed toy and call the test-rig "Jaws". Fricken lasers!

• Love
Reactions: Roentgen
Status update - I have a May 3rd appointment at the service center to have my windshield replaced. The tech said it might take a few days, it sounds like they have not done one before. I'm hoping there will be a reduction in ghosting even if it is not completely eliminated. I just can't imagine that anyone would think the level of ghosting I have is acceptable for a windshield.
How did your May 3rd windshield replacement go? Is the ghosting remedied?