Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought the Knight Visor https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Polarized-Professional-Glasses-Driving/dp/B012MI577S glasses and they made no difference (apparently they are not really polarized :confused:). My Serengeti sunglasses completely remove the ghosting, but of course they are too dark for night use. Has anyone found lightly tinted polarized glasses that can be used at night and eliminate the ghosting? Kinda silly that it has come to this, but until Tesla resolves this problem (are they trying??) I have to come up with something that allows me to comfortably drive my Model X at night. :rolleyes:

I just got back from a 2k mile road trip, and before we left I had purchased these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R56KGE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Like the ones @EV-lutioin had purchased, they had zero affect. :(

I found these polarized glasses on amazon. They appear to come with a polarized test strip, which makes me think that they may actually be polarized.

However, the 18 5-star reviews seems to indicate that the company does some sketchy discounting in exchange for a good review.

They don't ship to Canada, so I can't test them out, but I thought I'd mention it for those in the US.

I wear Maui Jim sunglasses exclusively, and I have one pair that have HT (high transmission) lenses. Maui Jim's polarization and lens quality is excellent, and it's possible the HTs would work at night. I haven't tried them yet, but will the next time I'm out in the evening.
I like Maui Jim as well, despite them being overly priced (but that's an issue across all sunglasses right now). They have a really good repair policy as well. I had a pair (3+ years old) with a broken arm (my fault) and they repaired it for the cost of shipping. Mine are all sunglasses, so not suitable for night driving. I'd gladly switch one of my pair for a HT one!

I like Maui Jim as well, despite them being overly priced (but that's an issue across all sunglasses right now). They have a really good repair policy as well. I had a pair (3+ years old) with a broken arm (my fault) and they repaired it for the cost of shipping. Mine are all sunglasses, so not suitable for night driving. I'd gladly switch one of my pair for a HT one!
MJ will repair most sunglasses that way. I've sent numerous pair to them.

If you think sunglasses are overpriced, you should check out electric cars!

Got this reply from Tesla service almost a month ago..... crickets since then.

Dated 7/27/16
"I heard back from Engineering and they said Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available. I have your email listed as priority and when they give me the answer I will reach out to you. Sorry about this and hopefully they will have the solution soon."

Got this reply from Tesla service almost a month ago..... crickets since then.

Dated 7/27/16
"I heard back from Engineering and they said Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available. I have your email listed as priority and when they give me the answer I will reach out to you. Sorry about this and hopefully they will have the solution soon."
One, two, or three crickets, or is it too hard to tell? o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Scmbug
download (1).jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
Explaining this issue to my Service Center today was like talking to a cricket. They seemed unaware of any the specifics of the issue, which I have a hard time digesting. I mean, it's one of the busier Service Centers in the country.
That's crazy. Even at the SLC SC that is a much smaller market, he knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the mothership is aware of it. But no anticipated solution, the tone that he didn't really believe me, and the explanation that all laminated glass windshields do the same thing.

That's crazy. Even at the SLC SC that is a much smaller market, he knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the mothership is aware of it. But no anticipated solution, the tone that he didn't really believe me, and the explanation that all laminated glass windshields do the same thing.

I admittedly don't do a lot of night driving , but just got back from a late night at work ~1 hr pitch black drive through the country. The stop signs were hilariously ghosting with the brights on. Completely "are you sure you're not drunk" levels of double/triple/quadruple vision. I can't imagine other car windshields are this bad or night driving would be a crapshoot.

Only 4 day into ownership of the X had my first extended evening drive lat night. It wasn't until I was almost home I even remembered to look for the ghosting. On my 12*** VIN really was not an issue. I had a 2013 Porsche that had horrible ghosting at night, especially when it rained. Could be my seating position or height but for me this is not a problem at all.

I have XerXes (my MX) for a couple months. The ghosting issue started out bad, and has gotten much worse. Reflections off of car hoods, windshields, etc., have double, triple, and sometime quadruple images. This creates a major glare coming off of every car that goes by, made especially worse when the sun is at certain angles in the sky.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
After some poking and prodding I received this email concerning ghosting today:

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the delayed response, I wanted to get the latest info before answering you.

I spoke to the engineering staff and they are still working on the situation and will check back next week. I sincerely apogee for the delay in getting this information.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance!

Thank You,

Randy Filippi | Service Manager
4361 Granite Dr. | Rocklin , CA 95677
p 916.652.7740 ex78859 | c 650.430.6133 | f 916.652.7630 | e [email protected]

Explaining this issue to my Service Center today was like talking to a cricket. They seemed unaware of any the specifics of the issue, which I have a hard time digesting. I mean, it's one of the busier Service Centers in the country.

Thanks for contacting your Service Center! This example of feigning ignorance is why it is so important that anyone with the ghosting issue contact their service centers as soon as possible so they can't keep acting like we are making this up. :confused: