Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your state charge you a penalty for owning a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Answering the OP question — where I live (Florida) there is no EV penalty. I just paid $47 to renew my registration for the next year, same as any other car in the same weight/size class. My opinion: EV penalties, whatever the motivation, are barriers to EV acceptance, especially of course for lower earning folks, who are most sensitive to these types of charges, and would therefore lose the considerable personal benefits of EV ownership.

Beyond the personal benefits of EV ownership, there is a society wide benefit to zero emissions. Because society as a whole benefits from EV adoption, at this time there should be incentives and no barriers to adoption. BloombergNEF found an approximately 70% reduction in CO2 emissions including costs of manufacturing both EV vehicle and battery, but not including incorporation of the CO2 costs of fossil fuel infrastructure (refining and delivering fuel), which would increase the statistical benefit of EVs but has not been yet calculated.

BloombergNEF also noted that charging during the day generally results in significantly lower emissions, due to generation from renewables during the day.

I tried but was unable to upload the graphs from BloombergNEF illustrating an documenting these points. Returned an error (unable to upload). Sorry about that.

^^^ Just do a screenshot of the graphs and/or cut-n-paste text…
I converted to jpeg and that worked. Here they are.
CO2.jpg
Charging.jpg