Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it play video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe I'm the first one to ask,but I could find the answer, so as in subject: Does it play video, and if 'yes', in what format?

I've got a couple of nice live concert videos and I thought it would be nice to play those without the need to rip out the audio track.

I can't believe I'm the first one to ask,but I could find the answer, so as in subject: Does it play video, and if 'yes', in what format

Short Answer: Yes (if you are desperate), hang your iPad behind the rear camera and press the camera button on your center screen (audio through bluetooth).

Long Answer: Try a search? It is answered in the FAQ and many threads.
Model S - FAQ - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
Infotainment Screen: Video
Playing video on the screen?

Short Answer: Yes (if you are desperate), hang your iPad behind the rear camera and press the camera button on your center screen (audio through bluetooth).
Have you tried this on your vehicle?

We've tried this in my vehicle and the answer is no. The bluetooth range isn't enough for it to work with the iPad behind the rear camera.

This was tested in July 2013 so maybe something's changed since then.

Eh, won't it get wet then? ;-)
Actually, I did, but I tried to figure out what video formats are support, assuming it would play video. But not much came up, so I decided to ask. Thanks for the links; They're very helpful.

Not really a "video" solution but the browser will play animated GIF files.. so take your movie, cut it into a thousand segments, convert to animated GIF then post it all thousand .GIF files to your favorite web host and browse to that URL.. you can watch a movie in very short clips.. oh.. and without that annoying sound track.. since there's no sound support in GIF OR the web browser for that matter. I have sent a list of wishes to [email protected] and one of them was a new media player that can play .mp4, .avi, .mkv, etc. from a thumb drive when the car is in park.
Seems like a no brainer.

Not really a "video" solution but the browser will play animated GIF files.. so take your movie, cut it into a thousand segments, convert to animated GIF then post it all thousand .GIF files to your favorite web host and browse to that URL.. you can watch a movie in very short clips.. oh.. and without that annoying sound track.. since there's no sound support in GIF OR the web browser for that matter. I have sent a list of wishes to [email protected] and one of them was a new media player that can play .mp4, .avi, .mkv, etc. from a thumb drive when the car is in park.
Seems like a no brainer.
I've considering doing the GIF things a few times but never got around to it.

As for video in the Model S, JB (IIRC) and others have spoken to this. It's not a technical problem. It's legal/political positioning to not have video visible by the driver.

I've considering doing the GIF things a few times but never got around to it.

As for video in the Model S, JB (IIRC) and others have spoken to this. It's not a technical problem. It's legal/political positioning to not have video visible by the driver.

My wifes Cadilac plays the DVD only when parked on the center console. Would be nice while super charging!

My wifes Cadilac plays the DVD only when parked on the center console. Would be nice while super charging!

I played video on my iPhone while supercharging with the audio coming through the sound system. The only problem was that the voice was out of sync, so yes, I vote for video (at least BT video) when the gear selector is in park or the car is off.

Hi,

There could be 2 ways to do that :

1°/ CarPlay (from Apple) : it could do that but, since Apple approves the apps that use CarPlay, my guess is that they will never allow a video playing app.

2° AirPlay (also from Apple) : if Tesla uses AirPlay then anything on our iPhones (or iPads) will indeed be displayed on a frame in the Tesla's screen.

I have tried Airplay on an AppleTV but also on a Mac (using Apps like Reflector or AirServer) and they work beautifully.

This technology would allow not Only You Tube videos or any Video on Your iPhone but also Live TV !

I have asked [email protected] to add this feature in an upcoming release, so please add Your requests to them or to [email protected].

Having video displayed is most likely a policy and not a technical issue - Tesla choosing not to include the video support in their implementation of Linux - because of restrictions placed on vehicles displaying videos within sight of the driver.

Tesla could and should implement video support and allow it to operate when the vehicle is in Park - which other manufacturers have done.

Here's my cheap, clean solution for videos (and access to other entertainment apps like Pandora, iRadio, CNN, HBO, Directv, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc) in the MS. Bluetooth for sound. Works well. I just hang my iPad from my cellphone holder.

Last edited by a moderator: