Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Screen: Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard or read anything about the 17" display playing video? In some respects, it would seem obvious (you've got a "better than HD" display sitting there, so make use of it!) but in other respects, maybe not so (is it legal to put video on a display that is visible to the driver?)

In all of the screenshots of the concept display, I don't think I've ever read anything referring to video. Just curious if anyone else had.

I have never seen or heard of them showing off motion video, not even from a backup camera.
I suppose the system is likely to support it for at least a backup camera function, but otherwise, yes, there are legal / safety issues to consider.
There are many auto systems that can play DVD videos, but only do so when the car transmission is in park and/or the vehicle is otherwise in a mode where driving isn't permitted.

It seems a little surprising that they didn't show off more "gee whiz" features at CES. Maybe they show off something new for the 17" screen at NAIAS?

William3,

"Better than HD" is a quote I saw very recently directly from the horse's mouth.

Doesn't necessarily mean 1920 across, although given that an iPhone4 is 640x960, I don't think 1920 wide is unreasonable for a 17" display. After all, the display will have a 4-core GPU. "No way" is certainly a strong way to word it.

As a point of reference, a standard off the shelf 17" wide monitor is 1440X900.

I think you can find different resolutions of 17" LCD widescreen displays.

For instance, here is a 1366x768 widescreen 17" LCD:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101918

and a 1280x720 (720p):
http://www.buy.com/prod/gateway-17-...16-9-dvi-hdcp-1-year/q/loc/101/210205866.html

And even 1920x1200:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ics_V_MD171X_V_MD171X_17_Full_Resolution.html

Do you have some source that says Tesla is using 1440X900 ?

I don't blame the auto manufacturers for this William...as long as bonehead judges award copious monies to morons that pick up running lawnmowers to trim their hedges...:rolleyes:

"A judge is a law student who marks his own papers" (H.L. Mencken) :smile:

Better than HD? I doubt it. There's no way that the Model S screen is 1920 across. Probably more like 1024. So instead of 1920x1080 you'd probably end up with 1024x576. Playing video is no problem, even the POS Kenwood that I've got in my Roadster can play videos off of a thumbdrive. I'm sure that the software stack & OS in the Model S can already handle it. It all boils down to whether "the suits" at Tesla decide to block it or not. Based on what I've seen in the Roadster -- I wouldn't get your hopes up.

example: Tesla decided to cripple the Roadster cruise control and not let it operate below 35mph. The programmers had to go out of there way to put that limitation in.

example: Tesla won't let you look at the tire pressure figures unless the parking brake is engaged.

Dumb stuff like that. Kinda like how GM, Ford, Chrysler, Lexus all cripple their nav system when the vehicle is in motion even though there is no law regulating that. BMW, Acura, and Mercedes have no such limitation. It's just a case of super paranoid attorneys ruining it for everyone. Let's hope that a progressive company like Tesla doesn't succumb to overly conservative legal counsel and end up dumbing down an otherwise wonderful car.

Err., 3:16 ? :

rainbowman2.jpg

Last edited:
It would probably be wise for the firmware to limit playing of movies to times when the car is parked.

BBC Top Gear showed a Range Rover a while back that had been fitted with a dual-view screen that could show different images to the driver and passenger. It's at about 4:30 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqxEm1BlhM

Having said that, i think my TomTom shows a different image to the passenger than it does to me, because the driving directions the wife gives based on the screen are rubbish ;-)

First post, btw. Hello to all.