Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know that you must keep your battery charged?

Did you know that you must keep your battery charged? (anonymous)

• I own an EV and know that I must keep it charged

Votes: 125 51.0%
  • I own an EV but it wasn't made clear to me that I must keep it from being discharged

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't own an EV but knew that you had to keep the battery from going flat

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • I don't own an EV and didn't know that you needed to keep them charged

Votes: 23 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which brings us to the subject of insurance.

Maybe Tesla should, through an insurance agent, battery insurance that if your car is plugged in and circumstances beyond your control don't allow you to charge the car, your battery will be covered minus the deductible. Not sure if any insurance companies would offer this though.

Which brings us to the subject of insurance.

I've not looked through all 550 posts so I might be covering old ground, but ….

…a low cost Battery Pack Insurance scheme for all EV's, backed up with a manufacturers warranty for defects should give comfort to any prospective EV buyer, removing any doubts that they could be on the hook for a new battery pack at some point.

If such a scheme was put in place it could seriously increase buyer appeal of an EV. Roll that out on the Model S and see what the media has to say.

This was discussed in Transport Evolved Episode 90. Blinded Me With Bricks last week, at around the 1hr18m point. In simplistic numerical terms one failed $40k pack in 2,500 cars (through neglect, not covered by warranty) would imply a small premium of perhaps $50 per Tesla owner.

EDITED TO ADD:- Not sure how you'd prevent fraudulent claims after serious neglect, but it could cover certain sequences of events like a breaker trip when in storage. Hmmm, needs thought !

Last edited:
In what other situation does owner negligence get covered by insurance? What am I missing?

I was talking about if the owner plugged the car in, put it in storage mode, then went on a very, very long trip with no phone or internet access. If a circuit breaker tripped and the car stopped charging, that should be in the logs. Tesla would just provide that information to the insurance company to prove the owner did everything the way they were supposed to.

In terms of leaving your car at the airport unplugged at a 25% charge and going away for a year, I'm not sure any insurance would cover that. Not sure how many people leave cars at the airport for that long but I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:
Maybe not in the case of blatent negligence but circumstances beyond normal control. Car is locked up in storage, power is lost, circuit breaker trips, no one around to fix it, etc. A rare occurrence certainly but. Like some of those extended warranty programs for electronics that cover you no matter what happens. They really aren't worth it but some people like them, and they obviously generate profits or they wouldn't be offered.

Tesla has stated that the Model S will be fine for at least a whole whopping year. They have also stated that it does exactly what several people have suggested in this thread - kill all parasitic loads and hibernate when voltage reaches a certain lower threshold.
That's from 50% charge. It lasts about 30 days from 0% (better than the 14 days Drucker's Roadster lasted).

So it seems to me that Tesla has completely fixed this problem and that bricking is now an extremely unlikely scenario.
For the above reason I think "completely fixed" is exaggerating. This probably can't be eliminated. Yes it's "extremely unlikely" (it wasn't that likely in the Roadster case either if you look at the people who have bricked their battery vs those who didn't) and perhaps less so in the Model S. But the core issue still remains and probably can't be fixed. That means in the end someone ignorant about it can still brick the battery and the only way to prevent that is to inform people (perhaps the easiest/sure way is a sticker on the charging flap).

This article did a good job of factually describing Max Drucker, gathering info publicly available on the net. Then it went off the rails when it went in started a blatant rumor that Max is part of a Mossad Israeli conspiracy with the only shred of evidence that he donates time, money and his home to causes that support Israel! Disgustingly ANTI-SEMETIC! The only room for pause, that made me think that this scrub guy had any scruples was that he told us that in the interest of protecting minors he was going to withhold publishing information on Mr. Drucker's kids; that was a classy move.

Scrub has his own axe to grind with Drucker; I wish that the rest of us here on TMC would de-focus on Mr. Drucker and refocus on the future of this problem.
Some have but too many make nasty quips at those who do not agree with their, 'this is the only way people should live' outlook on life!
Sadly, 300 posts after my diatribe, http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ur-battery-charged/page29?p=116031#post116031 I see the same (though less so, but that may be accounted for by having chased off those who were verbally stoned - medved comes to mind) quips about Drucker or those who agree with him. United we stand; divided we fall!

All the roadster owners should do a YouTube community response to this BS. Show folks what it's really like to live with the car, and how easy it is to just plug it in
I am here to say that I read the Roadster manual front to back, consider myself an average reader/poster on TMC, spend countless hours, days, weeks (along with others) in the name of Tesla and EV promotion both behind the scenes, one on one and on national TV & film! I knew you could brick a Roadster if you drove it to zero and did not plug it in, but I NEVER knew (until this thread) that you could PASSIVELY brick a battery. Never mind what the conditions are. Its obvious that most on this thread are infallible and could never fathom of a scenario where that would happen and even when some propose a scenario they shoot it down so black & white, and then go pat themselves on the back; disgusting! United we stand; divided we fall!

Tesla has admitted that this can happen. Move on away from Drucker and on to whether you think this is a problem. Just because it has happened to 1 or 7 people is like saying let me do a blood pressure on 1000 people off the street and find about 3 that have super high blood pressure. Do we just ignore those because an overwhelming majority are fine? This is an analogy so it is easy to shoot it full of holes because maybe that person should be watching his diet, etc. but the analogy narrowly speaks to the fact that just because it is rare does not mean it should not be addressed. As I mentioned in my post # 284, IF the PEM will be compromised by shutting off all battery drainage below a battery level of a certain point, but the PEM is less costly to replace than the battery, then so be it.

Tesla has stated that the Model S will be fine for at least a whole whopping year. They have also stated that it does exactly what several people have suggested in this thread - kill all parasitic loads and hibernate when voltage reaches a certain lower threshold.
This probably assumes that you start from a full charge on a 300mile battery; my guess. That being said, can you please provide the link where those words are written, especially about killing the parasitic loads. That would be great for the Model S but I am still leery for there is a difference between hibernating, which still consumes some battery and complete battery shut off before the battery bricks! We might, on the Roadster, already have the former.

I thought this was a worthwhile, if quick, read.
And, it sounds like Tesla is fixing this for Model S anyway, so it just makes Tesla look immature to not fix this early adopter's car.
The end result here is that Tesla is paying too large a price for their rightous attitude.
I agree with much that was said in the article and concur with your analysis.
Volt saw a PR problem and even though it was a perception about the fires, but not a reality about driving the cars, they did the right thing by offering to buy back cars first (costly but instilled confidence) and then made a fix that probably was not needed but took the 1 in 8,000 event (so even more rare than what we are talking about) and took strides to preventing that even further.

... IF the PEM will be compromised by shutting off all battery drainage below a battery level of a certain point, but the PEM is less costly to replace than the battery, then so be it.

I don't see why the PEM would be damaged. I would suspect that the PEM could be "booted back up" as soon as a pack with charge is available.
I suspect that the PEM is kept running because they are hoping/waiting for a power plug to get attached. If were to be completely powered down to try to keep the pack limping along a little bit longer, it probably wouldn't be in a state to recharge "normally" anymore. I doubt there is an "magic bullet" change they could do to easily prolong the "storage life" by a big margin.

It sounds like Model S must have lower power maintenance accessories. Like the pumps and such to circulate coolant and keep the cell temps even.

To me, having the car "cry out for help" (with audible alarms, cellphone texts, etc.) seems like the right approach.

I am here to say that I read the Roadster manual front to back, consider myself an average reader/poster on TMC, spend countless hours, days, weeks (along with others) in the name of Tesla and EV promotion both behind the scenes, one on one and on national TV & film! I knew you could brick a Roadster if you drove it to zero and did not plug it in, but I NEVER knew (until this thread) that you could PASSIVELY brick a battery.

I don't know if this is a different manual than the one you have, but the info you are looking for is the section "Leaving the vehicle unplugged", as posted by David:

TeslaManualStorage.PNG

Six separate times it says plug in when leaving or storing the car for a period of time.

It also explains in that section the percentage of charge loss per week.

This probably assumes that you start from a full charge on a 300mile battery; my guess. That being said, can you please provide the link where those words are written, especially about killing the parasitic loads. That would be great for the Model S but I am still leery for there is a difference between hibernating, which still consumes some battery and complete battery shut off before the battery bricks! We might, on the Roadster, already have the former.

The information about the Model S is from here:

Plug It In | Blog | Tesla Motors

The number 12 months assumes 50% initial charge.

It does not mention the words "parasitic loads" explicitly. Furthermore the Roadster battery cells have different properties in several ways. It is not clear at all that something similar could be done for the Roadster, and if it can be done, whether it would make sense, as it could cause other problems which it does not cause on the Model S. Also other hardware differences may make that impossible.