Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep Creep on or off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to set it to Creep OFF. But I discussed it with the DS and he said they have been recommending ON because it is what customers are use to coming from ICE. So, I choose ON and I like it. Have never tried OFF but might give it a try. This thread should have been a POLL.

I had been a life-long manual transmission driver. My problem with not using Creep on my Teslas is that the lack of a clutch makes my brain and muscle memory think it is an automatic transmission. Without a clutch I expect Creep. I found it too disorienting to have the “manual” driving sensation without a clutch. Same reason why I never used the “Manual” mode on my former BMW’s Steptronic transmission.

Furthermore the Creep mode provides immediate feedback for me regarding whether the car is in gear, and what gear it is in. Sometimes when I’m tired I find that I thought I had the car in gear...however, when I let off the brake it doesn’t move... then I realized I hadn’t shifted....or it moves in the wrong direction.

For me Creep is a way for me to get feedback from the car regarding whether it will move and which way it will move. Especially since the car responds so quickly to the accelerator (forward AND back). I want to know that the car is in gear... and what gear it is without accidentally propelling the car in the wrong direction.

I essentially use Creep as a safety feature.

As for stopping at lights, etc.. I use the intuitive “Hold” function (push extra hard on the brake pedal). It prevents the car from moving until you are ready—irregardless of whether Creep is on or off.

Just my 2 cents.

Fully agree. Creep is one-pedal-parking, with your foot only on or above the brake pedal. And at a red light, "Hold" (which you should always use anyway, as it also serves as "hill-hold") disables Creep, so no problem. Also, it's purely software - it's not like the motor wants to move forward but the brakes are going against that motion - that's an ICE thing.

One of the best things I did when I got my MX was turning off creep. Never going back
creep meme.jpeg
:D

Last edited:
One of the best things I did when I got my MX was turning off creep. Never going back
View attachment 259610 :D

One of the best things you did? I'm curious about this since a lot of folks are turning it off. What specifically makes having to use the accelerator pedal so much better for you? I tired turning it off and found that the creep speed is about the same speed as I used with the accelerator. Do you find you need it to be signifinicantly faster or slower?

One of the best things you did? I'm curious about this since a lot of folks are turning it off. What specifically makes having to use the accelerator pedal so much better for you? I tired turning it off and found that the creep speed is about the same speed as I used with the accelerator. Do you find you need it to be signifinicantly faster or slower?

What makes turning off Creep Mode so great is that you can take your foot off the brake pedal while waiting for a long stoplight. When you get the the light, just press and hold the brake for a second and Hill Hold will engage (small "H" in a circle image will appear on the right side of dash screen), now you can take you foot off the brake pedal and relax while waiting. I found that much of my impatience at long traffic light stops was due to holding the car back with my foot on the pedal, with Creep Mode off and Hill Hold on I find myself much more relaxed and patient. Hill Hold will immediately release when you press either the accelerator or brake pedal. Try it, you will love it..... it cures road rage! :D

Always off. Tried it for like 15 minutes when I first got the car. Yes, it feels more like an automatic ICE car with creep on...but I didn’t buy (or want) another automatic transmission ICE car ;)

Closer to one-pedal driving (not as much as the Chevy Bolt though) and brakes will last a lot longer. But the main reason I like it is that is seems more logical to me that the car should do what I ask (via my feet) it to do - no accelerator means I don’t want to go forward. I can modulate the car (on a flat surface of course) inch by inch and I like that.

But what I like the most is that Tesla gives us the option! Those on the thread that like the creep...keep creeping! Those like me that want no creep...we’re good too! I love options. It’s cool that Tesla can do these things in software and give drivers choices.

And maybe like the recently introduced “Chill” mode, perhaps Tesla will some day introduce a new option that takes “creep off” to another level. I would applaud an option that increases one pedal driving capability even more. Currently when you let off the accelerator, the regen slows the car to about 6 mph or so. Then regen stops and the car free drifts. I wouldn’t mind an option to artificially automatically brake linearly (ever so slightly) such that the car would fully come to a stop at the previous regen rate (i.e. “pretend” the regen never ceased).

Reactions: EV-lutioin
What makes turning off Creep Mode so great is that you can take your foot off the brake pedal while waiting for a long stoplight. When you get the the light, just press and hold the brake for a second and Hill Hold will engage (small "H" in a circle image will appear on the right side of dash screen), now you can take you foot off the brake pedal and relax while waiting. I found that much of my impatience at long traffic light stops was due to holding the car back with my foot on the pedal, with Creep Mode off and Hill Hold on I find myself much more relaxed and patient. Hill Hold will immediately release when you press either the accelerator or brake pedal. Try it, you will love it..... it cures road rage! :D
The Hill Hold functionality still exists with creep on.

Day two with creep off. There's really not much of a difference between the two modes. I'll keep it off for now. I'm really curious why it seems the majority on here prefer it off. I still feel it's marginally safer with creep on, and there's not much benefit to turning it off. Not sure about the energy use and brake wear. Unless the creep is fighting the brakes, then I wouldn't think this would be an issue. Now that I think about it, there would be some brake against motor resistance at very slow speeds. Anyone have an idea how much this would affect brake wear and energy use? It''s got to be very minuscule.

18 year daughter attends Tesla events with me she says creep mode should be on. ;)
Is this because of all of the creepy old men there, checking her out?