Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have the record for range loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, update. I told Tesla that if they say my battery loss is normal then I wanted to know what was abnormal so that once I hit that number we would both know something was wrong. A day after I sent the email they informed that they detected a problem with my battery remotely. Shortly after I got a replacement battery and now it charges to 183 at 90%. which gives me almost another day of commuting when you think about it.

This is a great thread. Thanks so much for posting it. Owners need to know they are going to have to fight Tesla on the battery degradation issue. With an ICE the car company can't argue with a loss of compression in one cylinder and they have to fix it. But with a battery Tesla can just say "its normal" and you have to do exactly what you did - ask them "what's abnormal?" and keep going back until you get it fixed. Thanks for being persistent - this is exactly what TMC does best - help all drivers learn from the bad experience of one person.

Reactions: Gremlin
Many probably already know this, but there are a number of older threads on this topic. In a nutshell, internal battery pack balancing (where the "stronger" cells trickle charge the "weaker" cells) is believed to occur at or slightly above 90% charge levels. Some have reported that consistent charging to 90% for several weeks restores range. Have also seen one report that the magic number is 93%. However, the advice not to hold at 100% charge for prolonged lengths of time is valid (not good for the batteries to hang out at the 0% and 100% extremes for too long). I have found the 90% technique to actually work (on my car) - current 90% is 232 and 100% is 258 (27K miles).

My full charge for 60 degrees outside. It was 196 until I unplugged the car and opened the door. Thanks to recent over the air updates I regained mileage due to efficiency. Almost two years old with 38K on it.

Attachments

• Raiden.jpg
    Raiden.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 54
Until recently my 60 with 45k 100% charged to 175-178 miles, and that was near as I can tell accurate to real world range (I never went below 0, so I don't know what was down there).

They 'looked' at it during my 37.5k service and said it was fine and just do the 'charge high drain low' thing a few times. No change on the guess-o-meter.

My battery is currently at Fremont getting reworked as the result of a random supercharging glitch that, among other things, had me showing ~50 miles at 57% soc for a few hours. I don't know that I'll ever know for sure if the two battery issues are related, but the loaner pack I have seems to be in order (probably around 200 for a full charge) so hopefully my pack will be returned with the same performance.

I've been worrying a bit about mine also with similar range results to OP. Just over 46k in mileage and a 90% charge brings me to 165 rated miles and 100% charge only gives me 185 presently.

I have a service appointment coming up and will ask the technician to look at my battery for me then.