Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I Have A Problem, Or Is This Normal With Cars Dancing In My Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wondered this for a while now... is this normal, or is it just me? I thought it was normal until I took the car in for some slight body damage and the bodyshop guy made a comment that my screen was doing strange things. I really had no idea what he was talking about, but then I wonder if that's what he meant.

Anyway, watch the videos I uploaded and let me know if that's normal or if I need something looked at. Thanks.

Pretty much what I've been seeing since several updates ago (Late 2018). Doesn't happen all of the time but it's pretty funny to see the cars and trucks dancing around, almost in time with whatever music I'm playing at the moment.

edit: Just uploaded these from my phone:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MTSN
Yeah common as RayK said. There have been other thread about this with much speculation as to why it happens and what causes it. You will also notice that if you are sitting at a light say in a left turn lane and cars are passing on the right that they will seem to do a 180 and drive backwards away from you.

Reactions: alexGS
It makes me wonder about the quality of decisions the car can make based on having such fluctuating data - a little like an aircraft Autopilot with airspeed or altimeter dropping out.

I’m concerned about the times I’ve driven or ridden in a Tesla (admittedly not many times) when I’ve seen other vehicles approach or pass without appearing on the display.

I imagine this leads directly to the unexpected sharp braking applications (collision avoidance) when the Tesla loses sight of another vehicle (eg when the other vehicle turns off) and assumes it must be somewhere still in front. The other day, we were nearly rear-ended by a truck when this happened. Other car had turned off and the Model X we were in suddenly braked hard when it reached the point at which the other vehicle had previously been waiting, even though the road was now clear.

Maybe I’m being unnecessarily cynical. I hope so. I hope that after a few more updates, the response will be more measured, more controlled.

-Alex

Last edited:
I have noticed this too. It seems to me that it mainly happens when I am stopped at a light. Once I am moving again, I don't notice as much dancing. Or it could be that I look at the screen more when I am stopped.

Has anyone else noticed if it tends to happen more when at a stop?

Here’s what I’ve gathered is happening from reading other threads on this subject. What the car “sees” is assigned a probably of certainty in that frame. The next frame of the same object may be assigned a different probability because the object moved or the background changed. Also remember there are many cameras that may see the same object from a different t perspective. There is a lot of software logic in autopilot that takes this data and assigns thresholds. For instance, if a “car” is seen with a 50 certainty, the system will label it a car. Do this thousands of times a second, average the data, and the system functions. The display is attempting to take this data, which now appears to include object orientation, and turn it into a human readable display. Whatever logic they are using for the translation need some refining. Hopefully someone with expertise will chime in and add to or correct my post.

Maybe it is doing temporal calculations to consider all the possible outcomes? :p
B97E090F-14D7-438D-AA33-80487DA0E174.gif

Last edited:
It's normal, the ultrasonic sensors + cameras are not great at maintaining a 3D space of things around the car relative to the 3D map generated by the front radar sensor + front cameras. I don't know the specs of the automotive ultrasonic sensors, but the ones I use at work are accurate to 0.0069mm. I assume the ones on our cars aren't not that accurate when surrounded by moving/stationary cars.