Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY RC Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope so - I feel huge when I try to get in this one!
View attachment 3403View attachment 3404
new wheels and office shrine

So with some quick calculations, I came to a 0-60 time~ 0.5 seconds! and a range of 245 miles (based on a 1:24 scale which is what the shell measures compared to the bumper to bumper spec from the wall diagram at the factory) I think it may be a little faster but I haven't actually used a stopwatch and tape yet, these are based on kitchen tiles for distance and ..one one thousand, two one thousand.... I will definitely post a video someday, when it gets some more work done and the dog agrees to chasing it with a camera

In the picture on the right, you've got a few other models of the Model S in white and black. Did you make those yourself? Would be curious how you did it... 3D printing/rapid prototyping machines? I'd like to do one of the Model S and the Fisker Karma for my desk too!

IMG_5522.JPG

my baby got to visit home and mommy:smile:
the white epoxy floors are so smooth and nice to drive on

Haha, that's great Z. I wonder why they're still showing off the prototypes
It works.. mine's a prototype too.
I was driving around for a while in the lobby and one of the cashier girls came by to take a look at it. She said they had all been talking about it before and had seen the pics. It was pretty neat

I just added 2 more Lions to it so now it has some more punch and runs for much longer. (1200mah at ~ 8.2V)

I think I'm going to start making a new one w/ a 2.4 GHz transmitter and a SS frame from scratch w/ a flat lipo pack under like the real deal.
Since I plan on keeping the S for a long time it will be nice to have a extra Sick mini S to go in the frunk

edit: I think I'm going with Titanium and SS to keep the any upper mounting weight down & since we have some nice square stock - which looks way cooler when it's cut and laser welded

Last edited:
Driving an S has 'ruined' me

So..I was washing the two ICE's that my wife and I drive and just waiting for the day I can sell both of them .
...so I had a beer and while doing so was thinking how in the reactions videos from today there was the comment about the Model S taking off like a rocket (similar to a Roadster - to try and make amends with Bonnie:wink: - and I realize my 2.0 914 was the funnest car I've owned ~similar balance I think, much slower of course)

Then It actually hit me. I mean, I know Elon makes rockets but, Elon has built a Rocket into a ground vehicle this time! And I have really never had any childhood hero or real heroes at all ever that I can think of. Just people telling me that this person or that person is a hero, and their idea of hero is not mine!

So ... at 36 and 35/36 Elon is my 1st real hero!

Thank you very much Elon the car is bitchin'

ps: maybe you'll get your own mini RC sig Performance Model S someday:cool:

Z, it's a work of art!

Would you want to share your mfg/parts listand brief DIY instructions for a small fee with those (like me) who still have the plastic mold from the October event and like to take on the challenge of building an RC Model S ourselves?

Z, it's a work of art!

Would you want to share your mfg/parts listand brief DIY instructions for a small fee with those (like me) who still have the plastic mold from the October event and like to take on the challenge of building an RC Model S ourselves?

It was a mini -z GTI that I bought just for the Model S shell
I also cannibalized a gaui 200 helicopter for some CF rods and CF ply sheet to extend the rear wheels by 3 cm
added a spring to keep it all centered - the rods and the CF plate act as suspension
some Nd magnets used to hold the shell on works great - I might not have cracked my shell if I had started with the 2 magnets and nose clip first. The screws / CF posts through the roof from early messed it up some. changed the wiring to have a parallel set of batteries on each side (4.2 - 600 mAh +2)*2
wide offset wheels and big tires, window tint, light kit with accelerometer(make your own or ~$25-50)

Tx is AM and is crappy if there is any radio interference - and we have lots of interference in most places these days
go with a 2.4 if you can afford it!.. They also have 4wd mini-Z's but I'm not sure how easy it would be to stretch it that long

I think there are some more pics in my profile thingy

good luck & have fun

No one has offered anything but I am starting to make one from scratch. I am trying to vacuum form a poly carbonate shell using one of my factory molds. The first one I did was using .09" poly and waaay too thick. + I didn't dry it so it got bubbles when it hit the slumping temperature( interesting stuff).
I will get some thinner polycarbonate this weekend when we are back down in the Bay area but for now I can start working on the frame:wink:

IMG_6442.JPG

pegboard vacuum forming tray I just made ( Pickle pot enclosure & fume hood / soldering station / sink in back)
IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

First vacuum form try.. .hmm super strong
Tesla Ghost shell..the polycarbonate is much stronger than the injection molded plastic
can't wait, i have lots of uses for this thickness (super hero body armor! :smile: ) but it is too much for the car form
IMG_6443.JPG

Workbench with rolling mill(under green) sewing table on the right + lots of other stuff

Last edited:
Will you post a factory tour video? :biggrin:
I really only have pictures from the factory. The Tesla factory videos on Vimeo that show the production are pretty good. I have some short videos from when we were walking into the test drive but you can only see the roof station and rough road/ bump test area + final assembly (which is much larger now then it was back in October)

^
My factory
(my wife's, really :wink: mine is the messy part of the garage :smile:)

V

Last edited: