Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Home EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robert, If you don't have, one, I recommend the OVMS and a tweak to the UMC pig-tail:

I think we might be talking different UMC's, unfortunately. There are UMC's for the Roadster and the Model S. This is a recipe for the Roadster UMC, and I don't believe anyone has dissected the Model S UMC to make any changes.

So to bump this old topic a bit:

I've build my own EVSE at home using OpenEVSE, but the problem is that OpenEVSE is currently targeted towards the US market. That means it makes a distinction between Level 1 (110V) and Level 2 (240V) charging, something which we don't have in Europe.

It also doesn't support locking the cable or working with the Proximity Pilot to limit the charging current based on the cables capacity.

I wrote a document for Chris Howell, the creator of Open EVSE with my recommendations: http://tesla.o.auroraobjects.eu/open_evse_recommendations_eu_version.pdf

He replied back to me that he's working on a next revision of the Open EVSE board which has all these features:
* 230 ~ 240V output for relay switching
* Cable (un)locking
* Proximity Pilot

These changes will make Open EVSE even more usable in Europe!

I myself am working on changing the Serial CLI code of Open EVSE to make the out and input more machine parse able so it's easier to communicate with Open EVSE from lets say Python or so.