Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I continue to wait for a VIN. Does anyone know if there is a benefit of getting the corded mobile charger versus the mobile charger with the changeable plug styles? does the corded one charge faster?
I have only ever used the mobile charger with the changeable plug but looking to pick up another for the new Y and was wondering if there was a reason to buy the corded one.
The corded mobile connector is able to charge at 40a on a 14-50 vs 32a for the regular one...but it hasn't been available for quite a long time. There is a corded wall connector that is much the same thing, except that it's not portable. You can also find J1772 EVSEs that can do 40a on a 14-50, but the cheap ones are pretty junky, and the good ones are expensive.

If you already have a 14-50, I'd either use the regular mobile connector, or I'd get a wall connector, remove the 14-50, and hardwire it to the existing circuit. If you're putting in a new circuit, I'd go wall connector wired for 60a.

Unless you go to RV parks, or know that you want to plug in at relative's houses or maybe at work locations where there's no EV charging available, I wouldn't bother to get a mobile connector to carry around. Commercial EV charging is plentiful enough that you shouldn't need it. I've been driving electric for 12 years, the first five or so, I used a portable charger on the road maybe half a dozen times. I haven't used it at all the past 6 or so, despite having two EVs.

Last edited:
Ideally, you'd have both a Wall Connector and Mobile Connector. The WC can charge 50% faster than the MC. The WC will add about 44 miles of range per hour to a Model Y in case you need the fastest possible charging at home. The MC will add about 30 miles of range per hour, but even that's plenty for a full charge overnight or a typical daily commute in just over an hour - and, you can take it with you.

It's also not a bad idea to have two "chargers" (the charger is actually built into the vehicle - the devices that most people call "chargers" are actually connectors) so you'll have a backup in case one fails, which is particularly important if you have to rely almost exclusively on charging at home.

For redundancy, I'd recommend either two MCs or one MC and one WC. If I could only choose one, I'd choose a MC since that can be used both at home and while traveling - and the WC isn't portable. :)
That's excellent advice - I have a Tesla Wall Charger (currently switched off) in our garage and a heavy duty NEMA 14-50r outlet mounted in our driveway in an outdoor box (also switched off). My thinking was guests could use the NEMA 14-50r if they have their own connectors or were visiting in an RV for some reason. We could also get a non-Tesla level 2 charger and mount that next to the box if we really needed to but for now this is fine.

Hello,
Mine is keep changing everyday. Is that normal? I am new here and I just bought my Tesla model Y.
  • Order placed:- March 20 2023
  • Estimated Delivery:- Apr - Jun 2023
  • Estimated Delivery:- April 3 - April 17
  • Estimated Delivery:- April 4 - April 16
  • Estimated Delivery:- April 5 - April 16
The trick is to ignore the EDD if you can - it is wildly inaccurate and will cause major teeth gnashing and hair loss. Some of us have been waiting 65+ days for our vehicles. You might consider putting your information in your Signature Line (see mine below) so we can reference things when you post. To do this click on your name in the upper right then the gear icon and in the drop down in the right hand column halfway down click on signature... not required of course but def helpful.

Hello,
Mine is keep changing everyday. Is that normal? I am new here and I just bought my Tesla model Y.
Desirable? No. Normal? Yes. :) Take a look at my EDDs as a typical example.

Hello,
Yes it is normal and very unreliable. Did you happen to order a Performance? Those are getting VIN assignments faster than the LR and may be more accurate to your EDD.

Reactions: erktrek
Similar sort of question. My journey has been:

OD: Mar 21 for a MYLR 20 B/W
EDD1: Apr - Jun
EDD2: May 27-July 8th

SWITCHED TO MYP B/W on 04/02

EDD remains the same (May 27-July 8th).

Should this not have been updated by now? New orders are showing MYP EDDs of April 2023? SA wasn't exactly helpful other than saying "they ideally should be faster than LR models"...

Last edited:
The trick is to ignore the EDD if you can - it is wildly inaccurate and will cause major teeth gnashing and hair loss.
I wish I could stop looking at my EDD since I've learned that it's not useful nor am I in a hurry for the vehicle. Unfortunately, I have become addicted to documenting every change which requires me to look at it at least once each morning at this point. And, because VINs have been known to appear in the app any time and without notification, I keep checking multiple times per day.

I really wish Tesla would:

• Work on their algorithm so the EDD is actually somewhat meaningful
  • Add push notifications to their app

I wish I could stop looking at my EDD since I've learned that it's not useful nor am I in a hurry for the vehicle. Unfortunately, I have become addicted to documenting every change which requires me to look at it at least once each morning at this point. And, because VINs have been known to appear in the app any time and without notification, I keep checking multiple times per day.

Yes a little information goes a long way, being completely in the dark is frustrating to say the least. I've heard they are going to work on the EDD algo but Tesla says something and then delivers way down the line lol

Were the vehicles older than 8 years at the time? The "hybrid components" (including the battery) should have been covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles.
Both vehicles were just over 8 years old, but had less than 90 K miles.

I was told that hybrid batterie vehicles should be driven daily which these were not driven. One we purchased used, with very low mileage, and the other was handed down to us from my in-laws. Both of their batteries went bad within 2 months of each other.

We've had two other Prius -- one which we still own. When my son moves away for college and takes the Prius, I hope that the new 2024 sub-$30K Tesla is available for my wife to drive.

Also, the fact that some people are saying they don’t get any text or e-mail and are just finding out by opening the app… But on the other hand, every time I get a text, I think it might be the 510 number saying I got a VIN

Waited over 3 years for M3. 78 days and counting MY and so much worse. VIN needs to come today.
No offense Doc, I just called Tesla and inquired about my status. The probability of me getting my car this weekend at Tigar is "remote" so I am wagering it will be a cold day in hell for you to get your VIN today. :p

On the upside, we will have a much better chance of picking up our cars on the same day next weekend :D

Cheers!!

beewang

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
I don't want to jinx it. Looks like things are moving right along. I called Telsa rep when I had an issue with PLaid. He recommended to try it a second time and if that didn't work I was going to go to my bank and get a cashiers check. Initially when I tried Plaid it didn't seem to work, but later on I checked my account and the money went to them using Plaid. One less thing to be concerned about as now all of those details are worked out.

That only left insurance coverage. I stopped by my insurance brick and mortar location yesterday and put the car on my insurance. They put a pdf of my Tesla card online so I can update it in the app. Really only delivery and inspection is left.

I recieved a text asking me if I could do 3pm April 8th instead of the original April 10th delivery. That actually is a much better day for us to go get the car. I am excited to finally be getting this done.

From all outward appearances, Tesla is catching up to the order rush and buyers are beginning to get their cars within decent windows again. I see people getting cars sooner than I did.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
No changes this morning but it's not quite yet 9 am EDT CDT. 😴

I did recently buy some "jack pads" to add to the Tesla pile in our basement. Sadly am running out of worthwhile things to purchase for our non-existent MYLR and am starting to look in to the tacky stuff. 😨

Maybe this is Tesla's secret plan to stimulate the world's economies...

edit: Nope, no change after 9 am... oops it's CDT not EDT (thanks @gH0st88!!) so carry on, nothing to see here.. ;)

Last edited:
No changes this morning but it's not quite yet 9 am EDT. 😴

I did recently buy some "jack pads" to add to the Tesla pile in our basement. Sadly am running out of worthwhile things to purchase for our non-existent MYLR and am starting to look in to the tacky stuff. 😨

edit: Nope, no change after 9 am...
I just checked, too. Entered my EDD window today.

I just checked, too. Entered my EDD window today.
That happened with my last March EDD - went into the window for a few days then the EDD shifted. The new large window indicates to me that Tesla doesn't even have a plan for my order.. whether it's not yet been built or there is some other logistical thing going on besides ***holding off just to try and upsell me every few days. No Accelerated Deliveries this morning and only 2 MYLRs in inventory for all of NJ.

*** Note: I don't really believe they are doing this but in the absence of any info it sure feels like it sometimes.

Last edited:
No changes this morning but it's not quite yet 9 am EDT. 😴

edit: Nope, no change after 9 am...
Ive been noticing EDD updates at 9AM CST, or 7 AM PST, recently.

Reactions: Skunis and erktrek
While I continue to wait for a VIN. Does anyone know if there is a benefit of getting the corded mobile charger versus the mobile charger with the changeable plug styles? does the corded one charge faster?
I have only ever used the mobile charger with the changeable plug but looking to pick up another for the new Y and was wondering if there was a reason to buy the corded one.

• Informative
Reactions: erktrek