Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR/Blue/19
OD-1/14/23 Noon time
EDD- When ordered Jan 21 - Feb4
Now feb 26- March 6
VIN - Not yet assigned, Got a message it will be assigned in next 1-2 weeks.

My question is, If VIN is assigned before IRS changes tax credit rules, will i be getting 7.5k credit credit (or) It depends on the delivery date ?
If it is based on delivery date, Is it the date of payment or the date of delivery ?

I will cancel my order if tesla delays the delivery and if it impacts the ev tax credit. suggestions appreciated.

MYLR/Blue/19
OD-1/14/23 Noon time
Now feb 26- March 6

My question is, If VIN is assigned before IRS changes tax credit rules, will i be getting 7.5k credit credit (or) It depends on the delivery date ?
If it is based on delivery date, Is it the date of payment or the date of delivery ?

I will cancel my order if tesla delays the delivery and if it impacts the ev tax credit. suggestions appreciated.
The day you take the car off the dealership parking lot is what irs will consider. Nothing else

PS - As of 2/25. Don't come at me if IRS decides to change the rule on any date after 2/25 🫣

MYLR/Blue/19
OD-1/14/23 Noon time
Now feb 26- March 6

It’s the date you put the vehicle into service.

MYLR/Blue/19
OD-1/14/23 Noon time
Now feb 26- March 6

The EV credits are dependent on the delivery date. My understanding is that the EV credits are available for a car when "placed in service". Getting a VIN assigned does not mean the car is placed in service.

OD 1/20
EDD :3/7-03/13 No win
I see many orders placed after me getting their cars !
Disappointing, Frustrating, unfair.
This is being very stressful experience .
I can’t wait this to be over !!!
Tesla doesn’t care for their customers!
This has been a learning lesson for me.
Never again
Many share the same feeling. Some guy ordered on 1/25 had taken delivery earlier this week.

How do people like you exist? Did you do absolutely no research prior to purchasing a Tesla?

Tesla is known to take a very long time to deliver their cars (several months to years). Being able to pickup a Tesla or have an EDD within weeks/months is already a significant improvement from Tesla.

If you can't handle these inconveniences then I would recommend just cancelling your order. It's possible for your car to come with minor scratches, panel gaps, small defects, etc so if you're gonna complain about waiting, then you'll probably be complaining over that too.
Haha, good point. Unless the car for him was flawless, he would easily be more frustrated.

I have been patiently waiting. When they pushed out my EDD from March to April window, it was not too much a surprise. The wait time let me to understand why I ordered at the first place. At the end of the day, the $13K price cut was the main reason I ordered a Tesla. I will stick with my order even if all the credits are gone(not available to me).

Speaking of mats - Ordering the set from Tesla is $225 and has theit logo. Ordering from WeatherTech they are going for $200. Beside saving $25 (which I could apply to the next oil change on my Tesla 😉), what would be the reason not to order the Tesla weather mats?

Reactions: WyoDude
what would be the reason not to order the Tesla weather mats?
Not sure about their quality vs others, but a short search on Amazon and other sites gets you a pretty wide selection of floor and trunk/frunk mats for the tesla. I had shortlisted a few when I was browsing through the options.

@kcpd
IRS has said it is based on delivery date.

My personal opinion is that it is unlikely the treasury will issue a ruling on the battery composition piece immediately in March. Its gonna take at least a few days after the public comment period ends on Feb. 28th. 6th is a Monday.

Remember that the $3,750 not related to battery composition isn’t likely to go away regardless. Plus there is a 50/50 (maybe better odds?) shot that however the IRS rules, Teslas may very well still qualify for the full $7.5K. We just don’t know for sure.

Being that you are in Northern California it seems to happen that people there get their vin and schedule their appointments within a few days of each other, so the 6th seems plausible.

So, I’d suggest hang tight.

Although selfishly, the advice I want to give is to just cancel now, so there’s more room in the factory for Elon to cook up one for me. 😅

Bluetooth acting finnicky - had a hell of a time connecting my phone, and it seems to drop randomly and takes 30+ seconds/multiple attempts to reconnect. Not just my phone but my wife's as well. Tried making phone calls but bluetooth would disconnect every 50-60 seconds. Put in a service request - hopefully a quick fix when they come out in a few days for mobile service.

Edit: problem solved with reboot per @Goobers suggestion.
How do you reboot the Tesla computer system?

Those of you who took delivery recently, did delivery team mention anything about reporting your purchase to IRS along with your tax ID number on delivery day? They never asked for my tax ID.

Per IRS website:
The sale qualifies only if:

• You buy the vehicle new
  • The seller reports required information to you at the time of sale and to the IRS.
    • Sellers are required to report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS for you to be eligible to claim the credit.

Reactions: Lady
Those of you who took delivery recently, did delivery team mention anything about reporting your purchase to IRS along with your tax ID number on delivery day? They never asked for my tax ID.

Per IRS website:

• The seller reports required information to you at the time of sale and to the IRS.
    • Sellers are required to report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS for you to be eligible to claim the credit.
When I asked this question to SA, He said that they will be reporting information to IRS.

Reactions: WyoDude and Lady
Not sure about their quality vs others, but a short search on Amazon and other sites gets you a pretty wide selection of floor and trunk/frunk mats for the tesla. I had shortlisted a few when I was browsing through the options.

Thank you. Reading the reviews on Amazon they have quite the mixture from 5-1 stars. A common complaint seems to be the trunk fittings.

Reactions: Vomhorizon

Per IRS website:

Nope. I asked the Tesla reps about the federal tax credit incentive and they said they didn't really know much about it.

Reactions: erktrek and Lady
MYLR/Blue/19
OD-1/14/23 Noon time
Now feb 26- March 6

I don’t think .gov will cancel the tax break. Most other car manufacturers are not even selling and delivering their EVs. They’re still credits for plug ins and it’s been years. I would not be too worried. I m going to guess until other auto manufacturers get caught up with their inventory, it’s be there. And the $7500 credit is turning new buyers into EV buyers. Without the credit, I would not bought my Y

Reactions: Mainuh and Lady