Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wondering if cars to NJ and MA travel in the same train, or do they have different routes ? anybody knows what routes do they use?

This was three years ago, but it might still be the case.

Yep smart move although it's hard NOT to react when Tesla tempts you with shorter EDDs only to push them back - also offer you vehicles for "Accelerated Delivery" with either none of the features you want at a premium OR just close enough to be tempted - like 20" wheels on a MYLR in my case.

Not to foster the seed of hope but since Tesla seemingly does things in batches for different regions maybe the crazy delay for us undelivered Q1 orders will work in your favor and your vehicle could be included if demand has not gotten too crazy.

On a side note Unless the deal is too good to pass up / tax consequences etc, avoid the demo vehicles if you can. They are less expensive but have greater wear and tear from people who likely have less experience with EVs and unless I'm mistaken the warranty term is already in effect by the time you accept delivery.
This is good to know, I’m only a little impatient so I’ll pass up on any demo vehicles. Will vehicles ordered in ‘23 all be 2023 Model Y’s. Hoping to get the newest model with the newest body design, if there were any changes

Reactions: erktrek
This is good to know, I’m only a little impatient so I’ll pass up on any demo vehicles. Will vehicles ordered in ‘23 all be 2023 Model Y’s. Hoping to get the newest model with the newest body design, if there were any changes
I'm not sure there will be any body changes but maybe some hardware updates... probably NOT hardware 4 - that's likely early next year. So instead maybe some updated components like higher res cameras.. who knows. The current year already saw some changes vs prior years and hopefully thanks to rapid iteration on the line we could see some additional changes but again it may be wishful thinking.

You know - mine and some other NJer's EDD window range is now inside yours. I wonder if the "real delivery" is within all of ours that's why it's not changing for you? Not trying to give you hope or anything.

edit: Going further down the rabbit hole of pure speculation if I look at my previous EDD start Apr 27 and the latest one at Apr 18 - it looks like delivery could actually be between Apr 18-27. This assumes that the EDDs are starting to become a little more accurate after Q1.
That would be nice.

Reactions: erktrek
Finally got delivery text today. Of course the window is overlapping the only trip I'll have taken since I ordered this thing :rolleyes: But at this point, I'll cut the trip down to a week as I don't want to go back in the queue lotto system. Still, glad to feel like I'm in the home stretch.
I wouldn't! Unless you are desperately needing a car.

Here is WHY:

1681437756878.png

This is the most inventory for Model Y since 1/16 when I started to check multi-times daily. The only thing that is going to turn this tide of inventory build-up is another pricecut or incentive.

I am already seeing new cars with few miles being designated as "Demo". Logically, this is what I would do if I want to unload "flawed" cars in inventory. ".. there is a butt for every seat.."

1681438270567.png

So I think if you enjoy your trip.... there will be another one waiting for you... if this one you are assigned for is gone (but doubt it).

beewang

I wouldn't! Unless you are desperately needing a car.

Here is WHY:

View attachment 928229

This is the most inventory for Model Y since 1/16 when I started to check multi-times daily. The only thing that is going to turn this tide of inventory build-up is another pricecut or incentive.

I am already seeing new cars with few miles being designated as "Demo". Logically, this is what I would do if I want to unload "flawed" cars in inventory. ".. there is a butt for every seat.."

View attachment 928231

So I think if you enjoy your trip.... there will be another one waiting for you... if this one you are assigned for is gone (but doubt it).

beewang
Thank you for that thoughtful post beewang! In Reno though, there's been NOTHING close to my build. I've been watching it since my order 1/27. We've had a couple standard range models show up, I think one LR 5 seater with black interior (I want white), and that's about it. They don't even have a Y in the showroom, they're so short here. Like 100 miles away in CA there's a matching model to my order a couple times that I've seen (missing tow, but you can add that), but those do me no good since they're in another state right?

I don't have hotel reservations or flights that are going to get messed up. Was just driving to SoCal to visit family. I'll still have a week there for them to get sick of me as it is :) Still, would be nice if they gave you more than a 3 day window after waiting for months.

Thank you for that thoughtful post beewang! In Reno though, there's been NOTHING close to my build. I've been watching it since my order 1/27. We've had a couple standard range models show up, I think one LR 5 seater with black interior (I want white), and that's about it. They don't even have a Y in the showroom, they're so short here. Like 100 miles away in CA there's a matching model to my order a couple times that I've seen (missing tow, but you can add that), but those do me no good since they're in another state right?

I don't have hotel reservations or flights that are going to get messed up. Was just driving to SoCal to visit family. I'll still have a week there for them to get sick of me as it is :) Still, would be nice if they gave you more than a 3 day window after waiting for months.
Look Jess... I know what you're talking about.... But you need to distinguish "that was then" vs what is going on now.... I too am waiting.. (since 1/16/2023 , that makes me a Sr Citizen here!!). The current reality after every who was "conned" into "hey!! You better get your car upgrade is you have to!!" To ensure you qualify for the $7,500. We know now that is all Bullshit now because like every good salesman..
.you need to give a reason to buy NOW.

Things are different now.... Unless there is another price drop, I seriously think everyone who ordered this month will have their cars "matched" within 2-6 weeks, depends on how far you are from the CA or TX factory.

Just my 2 cents.

beewang

Reactions: erktrek and vickh
Look Jess... I know what you're talking about.... But you need to distinguish "that was then" vs what is going on now.... I too am waiting.. (since 1/16/2023 , that makes me a Sr Citizen here!!). The current reality after every who was "conned" into "hey!! You better get your car upgrade is you have to!!" To ensure you qualify for the $7,500. We know now that is all Bullshit now because like every good salesman..
.you need to give a reason to buy NOW.

Things are different now.... Unless there is another price drop, I seriously think everyone who ordered this month will have their cars "matched" within 2-6 weeks, depends on how far you are from the CA or TX factory.

Just my 2 cents.

beewang
You make good points, and you're not wrong. Looking here New Model Y Inventory Levels - Tesla Inventory Charts I see inventory levels are solidly trending upwards since about 3/5. They're above where they were when we ordered. But looking back in the data you see other periods where inventory was rising, then a sharp dive and it's all gone. I just don't want to be on the wrong side of another dip for a few more months if it's just a matter of a 7 day trip instead of an 11 day trip.

Did you attend the March investor call? They are working like dogs on bringing production input costs down, and they still have a ton of margin- if they feel like they need more price cuts to weather any impending credit crunch with low inventory, they can do it and easily stay solidly profitable. It would wipe that excess inventory out in 3-4 days.