Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with sound system...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested out another car with UHFS. This one seemed to actually have bass. Used a tone generator app to see how low the bass went. It was mostly flat to 25Hz the fell off to nothing by 20 Hz. Small hump somewhere around 100hz (not what I'd expect for $2500). Dolby on or off didn't matter. I think some of these cars are just duds... The Tesla store people seem to be somewhat opinionless, for lack of better words.

What app did you use? I'll test mine.

I'm not surprised that the store people are opinionless. Unless they own one and really play the music it probably won't make a difference. It took several hours of playing music in my car before I really got better sound and a friend experienced the same thing when he got his. I drove up to SF last night and was playing music at 6 and the bass was almost too much at times. Dolby off did increase the intensity of the bass quite a bit. It doesn't sound like the dual 12s I had a ~decade ago, but it sounds really good.

I honestly can't imagine the stock system sounding anywhere close especially with UHFS having 3x wattage, but I'm happy to be wrong. I'd love to meet up with someone with the standard audio and put in my flash drive to see how they compare. I'd totally shut up if it doesn't make much of a difference.

What app did you use? I'll test mine.

I'm not surprised that the store people are opinionless. Unless they own one and really play the music it probably won't make a difference. It took several hours of playing music in my car before I really got better sound and a friend experienced the same thing when he got his. I drove up to SF last night and was playing music at 6 and the bass was almost too much at times. Dolby off did increase the intensity of the bass quite a bit. It doesn't sound like the dual 12s I had a ~decade ago, but it sounds really good.

I honestly can't imagine the stock system sounding anywhere close especially with UHFS having 3x wattage, but I'm happy to be wrong. I'd love to meet up with someone with the standard audio and put in my flash drive to see how they compare. I'd totally shut up if it doesn't make much of a difference.

"signal gen" on ios.

+1 You should find someone local who has the NVX sub and spend some time listening to your own music on it. I was planning on getting the NVX until I did, and I discovered that it was not the solution (to the general lack of low end) I was hoping for.

Yes I did the same. I think the NVX hits harder but not lower.

There is another thread on some components and amps being made for next year release as a plug and play upgrade.

One thing that might have effected the quality is having that played over bluetooth. There's a pretty significant difference in local vs bluetooth.

Not for a sinewave from a tone generator. The lowest possible quality A2DP can encode that sinewave perfectly, basically lossless. Regardless, compression artifacts are completely tangential to performance of the amp/speakers. I'm an engineer, not an audiophile.

Now I'm going to assume their bluetooth receiver outputs to the same DAC over similar conditions, it's always possible to f00$%@$@bar that up, but that's not related to bluetooth itself.

Standard or UHFS?

My car has more bass than any stock system I've listened to before, but I haven't ridden in every car or had control over the music in every car.

Standard. Did a longer road trip today and played mostly classical music (flac ripped from SACDs (CD layer, but great recordings) from USB) and I was quite pleased with it. I think I need to give it more time with different styles to get used to its character.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 You should find someone local who has the NVX sub and spend some time listening to your own music on it. I was planning on getting the NVX until I did, and I discovered that it was not the solution (to the general lack of low end) I was hoping for.

Hmm, that would be nice. I need to figure out local Tesla clubs. There seems to be one in Silicon Valley but not up here in the East Bay :/
(I'm in Walnut Creek -- if anyone interested in music with a Model S is nearby let me know :)