Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty Butt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of the dust is actually our own tires. Where does all that worn down rubber go? Rubber, being an insulator, is great at holding a static charge, so blazing down the road will build up charge on the bits contacting the road, which will wear off and then get stuck onto the car. The rear diffuser probably doesn't help either, sucking up the tire dust for greater downforce.

The bottom of the car from the rear wheels on back curves up. This speeds up the air under the car and so reduces pressure at the rear underbody of the car. All of this increases downforce on the car which is good but it also sucks up dirt.
Downforce is needed because the opposite is happening on top of the car and the car is being lifted. Even more so at high speed. A spoiler on top of the car messes up the airflow and reduces lift.

Its like an airplane wing. Aerodynamics, lift and drag.

Yes, but it is definitely worse on the Model S than anything else I've driven. Not really an issue except that it really interferes with the rear view camera. Even if I wipe it off, it's blocked again within a few miles on salty/wet winter roads.

I think it's the rear view camera that makes us notice it more. The only vehicle I've never had a dirt problem with was the Land-Rover--mostly because it never was completely clean.

I think it's the rear view camera that makes us notice it more. The only vehicle I've never had a dirt problem with was the Land-Rover--mostly because it never was completely clean.

I've had several cars with backup cameras and the Model S is way and by far the worst for this. In sloppy winter conditions, mine is completely obliterated in just a couple of miles. Maybe it's the positioning of the camera itself???

I've had several cars with backup cameras and the Model S is way and by far the worst for this. In sloppy winter conditions, mine is completely obliterated in just a couple of miles. Maybe it's the positioning of the camera itself???

I previously had an Infiniti G37. Exact same experience in terms of crap collecting on the rear of the car and the rear view camera. I was constantly wiping the camera off with my thumb whenever I parked... and I do the same thing with the Model S.

The camera wasn't in the same position as the Model S, but the effect is identical. In fact the whole back of the car gets uniformly covered in crap so I don't think it matters where the camera is. It's just aerodynamics at work.

I don't have the spoiler, but I doubt it make any difference as my understanding the that the spoiler is just cosmetic.

I suspect you're right. I have a spoiler and the rear of my car gets dirty more than any other area of the car too. Nevertheless, it's still interesting to speculate whether or not the spoiler redirects the air flow (and maybe some dirt?) away from the rear.

It looks rugged!!!

unnamed-2.jpg

@ AMN It looks like you have the 21" aero wheels with Conti's? Am I correct? And if so...how do they handle the snow especially up in Minneapolis? I have been reluctant to take out my MS with that configuration of 'summer' tires myself. Am I being too cautious?

@ AMN It looks like you have the 21" aero wheels with Conti's? Am I correct? And if so...how do they handle the snow especially up in Minneapolis? I have been reluctant to take out my MS with that configuration of 'summer' tires myself. Am I being too cautious?

Those are 19" Luganos and Michelin Ice XI3 tires from TireRack. This is my second season on them and they perform so well that we sold our winter SUV.
I would not recommend driving any car on summer tires if you get white winter, especially cars as heavy as Model S.

My Leaf's camera is equally terrible. It would be nice to have a tiny windshield washer nozzle aimed up at the camera lens to allow you to wash it off just before backing up. Of course, then you'd need a blast from the suspension air to blow any drops off. But then people would think that you had air brakes....

My Leaf's camera is equally terrible. It would be nice to have a tiny windshield washer nozzle aimed up at the camera lens to allow you to wash it off just before backing up. Of course, then you'd need a blast from the suspension air to blow any drops off. But then people would think that you had air brakes....

I don't think the camera would require quite that much air.

I think that just an air blast alone would work most of the time, so no need for the washer fluid.

I think that just an air blast alone would work most of the time, so no need for the washer fluid.

Not where I live. Mine is crusted over with layers of road salt. I don't even like wiping it dry for fear of scratching the lens. What I usually do is use a tissue dabbed in some washer fluid, but it is almost futile because it will be completely coated by the time I get where I'm going anyway.

I recall seeing a VW where the camera would pop out of the VW emblem on the back of the car, then close when not in use. While that would preclude the use of the camera when driving, it is one solution.