Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y DIY Xpel Ultimate PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A guy on reddit used Saran Wrap (cling film) across the front of his car when he did a long road trip. I don't know if prevented any rock chips but all the bugs came off easily.
Most Saran Wraps are extremely thin, only 0.0005 inches thick. ... compared to 0.008 inches thick for most Paint Protection Films. You'd need 16 layers to match the thickness.

Most Saran Wraps are extremely thin, only 0.0005 inches thick. ... compared to 0.008 inches thick for most Paint Protection Films. You'd need 16 layers to match the thickness.
Been there and done that. the wrap will not stay on the car and you will need a lot of tape to hold it down and still it will fly off of the car on the highway.

20230803_201213.jpg

For those who have DIY'd the bumper. Does it really take 3-4 hours?

Bearded Tesla Guy (seems honest) says it takes him 4 hours for XPEL for single piece. But only took 1.5hr with 5 piece driveprotected bumper. Since he's "sponsored", I want to verify his claims.

I just installed precut PPF from Drive Protected on my Model Y front end last week and the front bumper main piece took 50 minutes to install, including some help from my wife and kids and also some time to record video of the install for this video of the project
I also made. The whole car was already cleaned prior to that 50 minute install. There were 5 additional smaller pieces of the bumper which were the lower bumper below the air intake and the 2 small lower side pieces and I can't give an accurate time estimate on those because I also did the headlights, fog lights and I was taking breaks to watch YouTube video guides on each specific piece prior to installing it and also recording my own YouTube video throughout. Oh and my kids were helping me here and there so...