Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Directline insurance FSD and Acceleration Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the FSD and boost don't affect premiums as it doesn't affect the cost of the car in their valuation models. I.e they wont add the 6800 or 1500 onto their offer if it's written off and they'll treat it as a standard model 3... I.e if you write the car off you wont be getting the FSD or boost back unless you pay full whack for it again.. I've read of some instances where for some reasons software upgrades are not counted as increasing the value of a car (not just Tesla, but some Mercedes etc also)

Did the same today.48 Hours refund available.£40 extra insurance based on apparently 50HP increase.The acceleration from 0 to 60mph on a private road is amazing.However i thought that acceleration from, say, a give way or roundabout would be faster however that's not the case without really depressing your right foot down far.I thought the boost would always be there but its only there in a straight line really.It does not improve motorway overtaking either with that extra power...I like the way it says no ugrades available now on the app though.Going to apply for a refund tomorrow and check what the car was like originally then perhaps re-purchase.Also the car reads CHILL/SPORT not as I thought CHILL/STANDARD/SPORT.I am not entirely convinced unless I am doing something wrong.
Direct Line just confirmed to me that there was no increase in the insurance cost. I saw a YouTube video a while ago comparing a standard LR with a boosted one and the boosted one was quicker off the line. I'm a bit old to be a boy racer (though I did show a Porsche Boxster why it's not a good idea to race a Tesla off the lights) but it's my company car and if I did not add this upgrade within 12 months of buying the car it would not have qualified for the 100% Writing Down Allowance for Corporation Tax so that is what made me push the button. I tend to hang onto my cars for a decade so over that period of time it isn't a lot of cash, especially as it is coming out of my company not my net earnings.

Maybe the FSD and boost don't affect premiums as it doesn't affect the cost of the car in their valuation models. I.e they wont add the 6800 or 1500 onto their offer if it's written off and they'll treat it as a standard model 3... I.e if you write the car off you wont be getting the FSD or boost back unless you pay full whack for it again.. I've read of some instances where for some reasons software upgrades are not counted as increasing the value of a car (not just Tesla, but some Mercedes etc also)
Yes that is weird. If I write off my car it would really hurt to have the repurchase FSD. Someone asked Elon on Twitter about Tesla not recognising the value of FSD on trade ins with Tesla and he said that was not right and he would look into it.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Yes that is weird. If I write off my car it would really hurt to have the repurchase FSD. Someone asked Elon on Twitter about Tesla not recognising the value of FSD on trade ins with Tesla and he said that was not right and he would look into it.

Yeah, that's for the purpose of trade in's not insurance valuations. Thing is the replacement costs for the FSD and boost don't depreciate over time like the rest of the car. I guess all people can do is make sure they mention FSD/other software add ons on their policy and increase the insured value of the car accordingly(and maybe take out gap insurance also)

Here’s a video comparison. Go to 7:00 to see it pull 1 car length clear with boost. Looks like it just gives it a more violent kick off the line and then nothing more. Is that really worth paying for?

Tesla Model 3 With 'Acceleration Boost' Vs Tesla Model 3 Without
It's about the feel of it, rather than the fact its a fraction of a second quicker on a bit of paper or in a video...

Is the acceleration boost available on the 2021 model as well as the older ones, do you know?

Yeah, that's for the purpose of trade in's not insurance valuations. Thing is the replacement costs for the FSD and boost don't depreciate over time like the rest of the car. I guess all people can do is make sure they mention FSD/other software add ons on their policy and increase the insured value of the car accordingly(and maybe take out gap insurance also)
The weird thing when I looked into the detail of my Direct Line policy is that the value insured is actually £74k and when I queried this against the actual as-purchased value of £52k (inc later added acceleration boost at no increase in premium) I was told that all Teslas are insured at values around this level.

Is that true?

The weird thing when I looked into the detail of my Direct Line policy is that the value insured is actually £74k and when I queried this against the actual as-purchased value of £52k (inc later added acceleration boost at no increase in premium) I was told that all Teslas are insured at values around this level.

Is that true?

Where are you seeing the 'value actually insured'?

My Direct Line 'Motor Insurance Schedule' states:

Estimated value: Market value (not exceening £75,000). We will not pay more than the market value of your car at the time of the loss (less any excess that may apply)

Direct Line just confirmed to me that there was no increase in the insurance cost. I saw a YouTube video a while ago comparing a standard LR with a boosted one and the boosted one was quicker off the line. I'm a bit old to be a boy racer (though I did show a Porsche Boxster why it's not a good idea to race a Tesla off the lights) but it's my company car and if I did not add this upgrade within 12 months of buying the car it would not have qualified for the 100% Writing Down Allowance for Corporation Tax so that is what made me push the button. I tend to hang onto my cars for a decade so over that period of time it isn't a lot of cash, especially as it is coming out of my company not my net earnings.
Refund received in 48 hours.Yes the car is slower now 0 - 60mph.As its not used very often not altogether sure its worth it.May re-purchase.The app and account have been corrected car still reads acceleration boost purchased.

I bought the acceleration boost after having had the car 4 months. It is definitely noticeable. Especially in 10-30 or 50 -70 ranges (ie once you have already got going or motorway acceleration). yes its a decent chunk of money but i couldn't do the performance due to my driveway (and the lower clearance on the P) so this is a good half way house. I am happy. Novo insurance wanted an extra £84 for the performance boosting option.

I bought the acceleration boost after having had the car 4 months. It is definitely noticeable. Especially in 10-30 or 50 -70 ranges (ie once you have already got going or motorway acceleration). yes its a decent chunk of money but i couldn't do the performance due to my driveway (and the lower clearance on the P) so this is a good half way house. I am happy. Novo insurance wanted an extra £84 for the performance boosting option.

It makes zero difference to the 50-70 time, so must be a psychological thing! All the gain comes in the 0-50 range.

I have superimposed my before and after Dragy 0-60 graphs in Photoshop. The 3.7s time and grey lines are after buying the Acceleration Boost. To my untrained eye, the slope of the speed/time line looks to be a bit steeper with the boost all the way up to 60, suggesting that it doesn't tail off above 50. The driving experience is more subjective, but to me it feels faster all the way to 70.

Boost-graph.gif

I have superimposed my before and after Dragy 0-60 graphs in Photoshop. The 3.7s time and grey lines are after buying the Acceleration Boost. To my untrained eye, the slope of the speed/time line looks to be a bit steeper with the boost all the way up to 60, suggesting that it doesn't tail off above 50. The driving experience is more subjective, but to me it feels faster all the way to 70.

View attachment 634214

Was that with same SOC and weight ie passengers? Same stretch of road? Battery fully warmed? I was looking at the figures posted on the boost mega thread. Yours do look better all the way to 60.

Was that with same SOC and weight ie passengers? Same stretch of road? Battery fully warmed? I was looking at the figures posted on the boost mega thread. Yours do look better all the way to 60.

Same stretch of road, just me, same day (the day I bought the Acceleration boost), battery warm as I had supercharged then driven for 30mins. The SOC was similar (I forget the exact figures, about 80% before and 75% after). I did two runs before and two after and the times were pretty much identical (within 0.01s as I recall).

Reactions: Peteski
Same stretch of road, just me, same day (the day I bought the Acceleration boost), battery warm as I had supercharged then driven for 30mins. The SOC was similar (I forget the exact figures, about 80% before and 75% after). I did two runs before and two after and the times were pretty much identical (within 0.01s as I recall).

Looks good then. What year Model 3 is this out of interest?