Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct connection without cloud?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a smart home setup with 100+ devices. All of them have direct connection to my server, however there are some, that are cloud-based: charging points and cars (tasla+hyundai). Amazingly, all of my local-controlled devices are working perfectly, except for cloud ones. These are always causing problems, like going offline and my automations failing, huge lag, etc. And one of them is my tesla. I'm now in process of replacing my charge points to ones with local control, but I can't replace my cars.

My question is technical and please, people who have no clue, don't waste time.
And the question is: can I disconnect from cloud services, possibly put my own SIM card and hack the software to open a direct VPN to my server?
I know there are people hacking these cars, especially the out of warranty or salvage title ones. But can we move this further?

One of issues why I want it, is this:

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I assume you are using the Tesla API to send your commands. These are cloud only AFAIK. The lag you are seeing is “mostly” due to the car going to sleep. One thing you might try is preventing sleep. You should be able to use Sentry mode for this. I don’t think it turns off (and allowing sleep) until the battery is below 20 and since your home and plugged in, that shouldn’t happen. Yes, your battery will drain and refill slowly but if your desire is the API responding as quickly as possible, this should help.

Tesla does allow some local control over Bluetooth but it’s simple things like trunk open and close, unlock, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I will echo what @jmaddr has stated. Every communication to the car, whether from your iPhone, Android, or commands from a browser or otherwise, go to the Tesla "mother ship" server. The Tesla server then communicates with your car. There is no means, at present, to bypass the Tesla server.