Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloud profile questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few questions related to cloud profiles. I've read the manual and looked at other cloud profile threads, but I didn't find the information I was looking for.

We have a 2018 Model S and 2018 Model 3, and I have a new S on order that will replace the current S. The 2018 S doesn't support cloud profiles, but the 2018 3 and the new S do. I haven't created a cloud profile yet, but I was thinking of doing it now in the 3, so I could transfer some of my settings to the new S, and use the cloud profile when we we travel and rent a 3. Other than seat and mirror positions, I use the same settings in my local profiles in the S and 3.

Here's my plan:
  1. Migrate my local profile in the 3 to a cloud profile.
  2. When I take delivery of the new S, access the cloud profile to get saved settings from the 3 (except seat/mirror positions, which won't migrate to different models).
  3. If possible, create a new local profile in the S based on my cloud profile, and then use the local profile from now on. I don't really need to sync anything between the S and 3, so I don't want to risk unintended changes.
Any issues with this plan? Do WiFi credentials or any Homelink-related settings get saved in the cloud profile? (Those would only be useful for setting up the S, not for rental cars.) I don't expect Homelink programming to transfer (though that would be cool), but things like auto open/close based on location. Do music and entertainment app credentials transfer or will I have to log in again? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Here's my plan:
  1. Migrate my local profile in the 3 to a cloud profile.
  2. When I take delivery of the new S, access the cloud profile to get saved settings from the 3 (except seat/mirror positions, which won't migrate to different models).
  3. If possible, create a new local profile in the S based on my cloud profile, and then use the local profile from now on. I don't really need to sync anything between the S and 3, so I don't want to risk unintended changes.
I performed these steps after taking delivery of my new S. My preferences, including my Apple Music login, transferred to the new S. However, when I created a new local profile in the S, there was no option to migrate the settings from my cloud profile to that local profile, so some of the settings such as the Apple Music login didn't transfer. It only took a few minutes to fix that, so I got most of what I was trying to do.

Reactions: Asymmetrical