Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in features between Model 3 RWD and AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've own a 2021 AWD Model 3 and my wife just got the 2023 RWD Model 3.
I don't believe RWD has "park assist chimes" (or, at least, I can't seem to find it).
Other than the obvious (number of motors, range, acceleration, etc.), what other features does the AWD have that the RWD lacks?
I know about premium audio and the length of complimentary connectivity.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The lack of park assist chimes is due to the removal of ultrasonic sensors (take a look at the bumpers and notice the small circles on the 2021 car but not the 2023 car). This removal of ultrasonic sensors came across all trim lines.

Other changes between 2021 and 2023 that are not specific to trim lines include:
  • AMD Ryzen infotainment processor replaces Intel Atom (January 2022).
  • Lithium-ion 12V battery replaced lead-acid 12V battery (January 2022).
  • Mobile connector is no longer included (some time in 2022).
  • Radar removed (May 2021).
  • SR+/RWD gets LFP battery instead of NCA battery (some late model year 2021, all model year 2022+ in the US).
  • Global headlights replace Premium headlights (January 2021, but some 2022 cars reverted to Premium headlights, probably due to supplier issues). Both are rated "good" by the IIHS, though Global has better side/curve lighting, while Premium lights up a little further straight ahead. The Global headlights are the matrix ones, though the potential "high beam except where there is someone else" capabilities of matrix headlights are not being used with current software.
  • Some cars with 18" wheels have recently been sighted with Tesla-specific Hankook Kinergy GT tires instead of the Tesla-specific Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.
The AWD cars all have the higher capacity NCA battery, while the current (2022+, some late 2021) RWD cars have LFP batteries. LFP chemistry tends to have less capacity loss over time and is less likely to catch fire if damaged, but is larger and heavier for the same capacity, and the flat voltage curve means that the BMS (battery management system) needs to see 100% state-of-charge more often to ensure that it knows the correct state-of-charge.

Cars with LFP batteries will not have a separate "daily" and "trip" charge target setting. Tesla recommends charging LFP batteries to 100%, or charge to 100% once per week if not all the time. There may be some small benefit against capacity loss by keeping them at <70% most of the time, but that is not fully confirmed specifically for Tesla cars (similar applies to NCA batteries at <55%).

• Informative
Reactions: Gauss Guzzler