Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you have to convince your significant other?

My Significant Other was Against my Model 3 Purchase So I...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One critical factor you need to tell anyone about buying any EV is savings over time. You need to hang on to an EV for at least 5-7 years to achieve a break even in fuel savings and maintenance in most cases. I'd never recommend an even to someone that is buying a car every 3 years (yes there are people like that out there.)

I am still trying to convince my wife. Not about the car, but the price. Even putting close to 50% down, a LR AWD carries a $500 a month payment.

Same here. Wife is worried about the cost also, and we’ll be putting down about half up front. ~$550 month payment. It makes me nervous, so I understand how it makes her nervous too.

I should also say that my company pays for all expenses with my vehicle. Fuel, registration, insurance, etc.. So, these costs are not a big concern to me.

I talked, obsessed, and saved for 1.5 years. She finally couldn't stand it anymore

I think I’ll be in this position soon. I’ve been going on about the car for 7 months. It really makes me laugh that other people are/were in my same position. Our wives could form a club :D

Learn the safety angle. That plays well with Moms (as well it should.)

Lastly, consider that she if likely 100% focused on new Motherhood and you are talking toys (in her view.) Tread lightly and be considerate now; it will pay off.
Very wise words. I talked to her about the safety angle today after i read what you wrote and I could see the wheels spinning (in her head).

what's the point of having money, especially 2 incomes with a LOT of spare cash, if you don't use it to give your life enjoyment?

PREACH. Ive thought about this exact thing. But then I start thinking - what if the economy crashes? (If you’re 25 now, for example, you were 14/15 during the Great Recession and weren’t buying a house or car. I’m in my mid 30’s and I remember it well - scared me enough to think hard about my large purchases). What if Tesla goes under? (I know, it probably won’t happen, but I get in my head man!)

Having a terrible delivery advisor didn't help much either.
Rocklin? I haven’t been overly impressed with them. I assume you still have the model 3? Has the service/experience with Rocklin gotten any better over time?

she surprised me with a "Let's go check out Teslas"....
This excites me very much.

Tell her this will save puppies
Hahahaha yes! This is perfect as she’s a dog lover. I will

• Funny
Reactions: Daddio56
My wife has been an electric car fan since 2012 when she bought her Nissan Leaf. She was also the one that suggested we get our first Solar array back in 2010, which has now grown with an additional solar array. She was also excited to get the Model 3 Performance as a replacement for her Leaf.

Unfortunately, our Model 3 delivery experience was really bad and the car was delivered with multiple paint defects, which required over $3600 worth of repair work at the Tesla approved body shop. Having a terrible delivery advisor didn't help much either.

When I brought up the idea of getting the 2020 Tesla Roadster as a replacement for my Acura NSX, she said "NO WAY" and wondered why I would go through all that frustration again.......

sorry to hear that. But it’s also unfortunate that people assume they would have another bad experience. It seems on average, people have a good experience.

TLDR: my wife is not a fan of the Model 3. Did anyone here have to convince their significant other to get on board with their Model 3 purchase? Was it a success? How did you do it?

I recently rented a Model 3 for 4 days (second time renting). Needed to see how it "fit" into my daily life. Overall, I had an absolute blast with it. Took it on a long day trip. Great car, no doubt about that. Supercharged it, the whole 9. I’ve been researching the car for around 7 months - going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. Watched all the videos, read TMC religiously and the like. No car payment right now, that’s a big big reason why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. We are also expecting our first child early next year (budget killer, lol). That, and the thread subject..
Why does she not like the most amazing car on the planet? Well, its a car. She’s an SUV gal, and I have to tell you, we don’t have the money for a X (I much prefer the 3 anyway). She has her own SUV, so this car would be MINE. I’d drive it, care for it, pay for it, etc...
Still, though, happy wife happy life, right?. I want to enjoy the car with her - go on trips, hit that 0-60 in 3.2, just be part of the community which I’ve grown to enjoy.
So, any tips and/or tricks? Anyone have VERY young children who have experience with the Model 3 they could share with me?

Bought the car since mine was 30+ years old, so she didn't care. But after driving it the first time, my wife, said, 'wow, I gotta get me one of these'. In other words, she loved it so we cashed in her Jag and bought a second model 3.

If your wife is a SUV person, can you hold out until next year (Elon Standard Time) for the model y?

Rocklin? I haven’t been overly impressed with them. I assume you still have the model 3? Has the service/experience with Rocklin gotten any better over time?

Yup - Rocklin..... They were terrible. Nothing like taking delivery outside in the rain and the only answer the delivery advisor had was "it's within spec". Two different Mobile Techs told me my car should have never left the factory and should not have been delivered, but to the delivery advisor it was within spec.

Luckily haven't had to go back there as my last issues have been taken care of by Mobile Service. Mobile Service has been awesome though !!

Still have the 3, but thought seriously of dumping it as I got frustrated waiting for the Tesla Approved body shop - took 2.5 months for the first available appointment after the consult.

sorry to hear that. But it’s also unfortunate that people assume they would have another bad experience. It seems on average, people have a good experience.

It wasn't just the bad delivery experience, but the following 2.5 months of frustrating non-communication on Tesla's part. Multiple phone calls and emails were never returned. I admit it is my fault for accepting the car when I should have refused delivery. In any case, decided to get something else instead of the new Roadster.

I didn't have to convince my wife. And I did not ask permission. I just went and bought it. Because it is MY MONEY and I'll buy one if I damn well want one!!!

She has her own car, a Hyundai. She wants a Volvo XC60 / XC90. As soon as she figures out to pay for it, she can have it.

Reactions: tccartier
She was for it from the start, my wife and I went together to sign up for the waiting list, then 18 months later ordered, then when available we both went to pick up the car. After 15 minutes of going over the car, they brought it out front, and she jumped in and was gone. Suffice to say she didn’t need any convincing for the purchase, we’ve both never looked back, loving it even more than the first drive...

Last edited:
TLDR: my wife is not a fan of the Model 3. Did anyone here have to convince their significant other to get on board with their Model 3 purchase? Was it a success? How did you do it?

My wife wanted to pre-order a Model 3 at the initial reveal in March 2016. I told her it was the definition of dumb to put down $1000 on an unknown, unproven, unbuilt vehicle. When she pointed out the $1000 was refundable, I said go ahead, interest rates are really low anyway (fully expecting we would likely end up asking for the refund back rather than actually buying one). So for over two years she anxiously waited. I started reading good things about it when people started taking delivery at the end of 2017. I was still skeptical about how small it might be, how uncomfortable it might be for my 6'-04" frame, whether it would actually go the claimed range, how it would drive, etc. etc. etc.

When she got the e-mail in May 2018 saying they had a white LR RWD Model 3 ready for us in a week I had read enough good things (and lots of bad FUD) to think OK, what the heck - it might be the biggest financial blunder in our lives, but you only live once and this thing sounds intriguing, new and different. So we confirmed our purchase order (we had still never driven one).

When the day came to pick it up my wife was too excited to drive it home and asked me to. I was suitably impressed with how it drove the two miles to the Interstate.

Then I got her up to 75 mph and I was OMG! This is the car from the future! All I had to do was *think* where I wanted to be in traffic and I was already there! The stereo had clarity and presence unlike any car stereo I had heard. The voice commands understood me right from the beginning with no training. The seats were super comfortable and supportive for my lower back issues. After 15 minutes or so, the AutoPilot "ready" icon turned on. Since we had both read the manual in anticipation of the drive home I, with a small amount of trepidation, double-clicked into AutoPilot. OMG! This was amazing! The car was literally driving itself!

After a while, it got dark. I noticed we still had plenty of range left and the headlights, even on low beam, had an excellent throw. We took it on some curvy country roads and the handling was amazing. Telepathic even. The acceleration was instant and surreal. The quietness and smoothness were amazing.

To make a long story short, before we got home from my first "test drive" I already knew what my next car was going to be. Less than 5 months later I sold my 5-year-old Mazda CX-5 and bought a P3D-. The Mazda was loudly hailed as a good "drivers CUV" with its slick-shifting 6-speed and crisp handling (for a CUV). Even though it still drove like a new car, every time I drove it, it felt like I was driving a bucket of bolts. It didn't have any rattles or shakes but the odd engine noises, the tranny shifting, the clunky friction brakes and the stinky gas fill-ups out in the rain and cold just felt so ancient. Typically we keep our cars for about 15-19 years but now the Mazda had to go.

So it's been 1 1/2 years since that fateful "test drive" home and we still both have our Model 3's (my wife is only slightly jealous that mine is a Performance;)), after 26,000 total miles, neither one has been in for any service so I have no idea what all the noise is about Tesla needing to step up their service game, we love them better than the day we picked them up and they just keep getting better than the day we picked them up.:cool:

Last edited:
I set up the test drive for hubby. He loves his 2007 Nissan Murano but it is on its last legs and we need a plan for when it bites the dust. Just drive the thing, no pressure, it'll be fun. We get out of the car, he says order it. I'm sold! :) We've both been resisting the urge for a very long time, but as of 2 days ago, we're in the club!!! Model 3 in white, brand new but base everything and still fantastic.

It wasn't just the bad delivery experience, but the following 2.5 months of frustrating non-communication on Tesla's part. Multiple phone calls and emails were never returned. I admit it is my fault for accepting the car when I should have refused delivery. In any case, decided to get something else instead of the new Roadster.

Well have fun with whatever you get. The roadster is probably going to be a year or two late anyway.

I didn't have to convince my wife. And I did not ask permission. I just went and bought it. Because it is MY MONEY and I'll buy one if I damn well want one!!!

She has her own car, a Hyundai. She wants a Volvo XC60 / XC90. As soon as she figures out to pay for it, she can have it.

This always amazes me. People have a very different ideas of a marriage.

Reactions: eghead
My wife was not all that impressed with her Mercedes SUV test drive a few years ago. She preferred a sedan. I threw out the idea of a Model 3 and within a few days she'd convinced herself.

Our kids were two and four at time of delivery. The back is spacious, no hump, and they can open the doors themselves. The older one likes the glass roof and watching the map and car animation. We use it for most family trips over my 7 seater SUV. Babies have more junk to lug around, but you can travel with one kid in almost any vehicle. Nobody *needs* an SUV to transport one child. We have a third coming and I'm not sweating it, although I anticipate using the SUV for long trips at that point.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
On March 31st, 2016 I told my wife before she went to bed that I was probably going to reserve...I did. Fast forward to today, she drives the car everyday to work (now for a year), and likes it a lot. We preordered a Model Y at unveiling also...

I had been eyeballing Model S back in 2012 but it wasn't practical for us then and we couldn't afford it, so I admired from afar for 6 years. I rarely want anything, so she was supportive throughout and encouraged me. It was awesome to have her on board, but I wanted to make sure I did it the right way (YMMV), so I waited patiently and saved. Then last year everything was right and we sat down at the dining room table together and put in the order.

She loves the car and now has interest in a Model Y as a replacement for her aging vehicle. We tend not to buy cars often, which makes the conversation easier when we consider buying a new one. Her main reservation with buying the Model 3 and potentially buying a Model Y is that we've never owned "expensive" cars before and is nervous about what she perceives as a larger responsibility to keep it in good condition. I'm not concerned at all, as she's typically very careful, and I always tell her "It's just a car. That's why we have insurance."

I don't feel that I had to "convince" her, rather that we make these decisions carefully together. That said, I'll echo what others have said in terms of messaging that resonated with her through the process: Safety, overall cost of ownership, environmental impact, being on the forefront of a major change in the world