Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone else cancel their Model S order to wait for the GEN III

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cancelled my reservation yesterday, and leased a Volt for the next 36 months. I really want the Model S, but the service plan pushed a car that was already a major stretch for my budget into the "unaffordable zone". My plan is to drive the Volt for the years, and to try to be near the front of the line for Gen III.

Sounds like a good plan to me. We'll see who ends up closer to the front, you, gjunky, or me. :biggrin:

I cancelled my reservation yesterday, and leased a Volt for the next 36 months. I really want the Model S, but the service plan pushed a car that was already a major stretch for my budget into the "unaffordable zone". My plan is to drive the Volt for the years, and to try to be near the front of the line for Gen III.

I cancelled my Model X reservation and am leasing a Volt instead also waiting for Model X 1.5 or Gen III (or maybe AWD Model S 2.0 - who knows). The stealth price increase with the $600 annual service charge was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I recently got a plugin prius while I'm "waiting" for a Model X.
I would definitively recommend those getting 'temporizing cars' to look at the Leaf or Volt. The Prius is nice, but that small battery gets on my nerves as I try to do as much EV-only as I can. I think the Prius is nice but if I could rewind and replay I would have purchased a Volt. Once you plug in it feels ridiculous to go back. (Note- I sold an AMG to get the Prius ... do I miss the accelerator doing something)

Is there anyone here in California that is considering the 100mi Rav4 EV as a viable in-between option?

Not sure how leases of EV vehicles will evolve, with the battery being such a big part of the cost structure of the car. I'm inclined to think cars with significant EVness will depreciate as the market accelerates its competition.

I recently got a plugin prius while I'm "waiting" for a Model X.
I would definitively recommend those getting 'temporizing cars' to look at the Leaf or Volt. The Prius is nice, but that small battery gets on my nerves as I try to do as much EV-only as I can. I think the Prius is nice but if I could rewind and replay I would have purchased a Volt. Once you plug in it feels ridiculous to go back. (Note- I sold an AMG to get the Prius ... do I miss the accelerator doing something)

Is there anyone here in California that is considering the 100mi Rav4 EV as a viable in-between option?

Not sure how leases of EV vehicles will evolve, with the battery being such a big part of the cost structure of the car. I'm inclined to think cars with significant EVness will depreciate as the market accelerates its competition.

I'm with ya on the Prius. I own 2 of the 2nd generation and have been waiting years for Toyota to do a plug in. I actually laughed out loud at the Toyota rep who first told me of the 11 mile EV range on the plug in.

I called my local (Orange County, CA) dealer today and was told it would be quite some time before they have Rav4EVs for test drive.

In the mean time, I'm looking for a Volt to rent for an extended test drive. Having minimal luck right now.

I haven't officially pulled my S reservation yet, but its just a matter of time. Can't wait for the GenIII tho. Too bad we can't transfer the reservations.

-Chris

Yes, I realize that but it would still be twice as much as I have been paying for my ICE maintenance and an electric car is supposed to be easier.

Yeah, I don't get this and wasn't expecting it. My LEAF is certainly *much* cheaper and simpler to maintain than an ICE (check battery, brakes, cabin filter...) — to where it calls into question what will happen to the size of the auto maintenance/service industry over time. Perhaps the future "Mr. Fusion" equipment will take some heavy maintenance? ;-)

If I recall correctly, the Model S (Whitestar) was supposed to have Roadster range at half the price. So I was expecting a $50K Model S with 300-mile range. Maybe I misunderstood...
They were playing this game: Tout the cost of the lowest trim line, and the performance of the highest trim line. I don't think they ever lied outright, but they kept it very obscure that they were talking about different trim lines. Something along the lines of "Price as low as $50,000 and range up to 300 miles on a charge." That language does not say the $50K car goes 300 miles, but it's designed to leave that impression. And of course the price quoted is after the federal tax credit, which they note in tiny print if at all.

Sad to say, the makers of EVs have not always been entirely forthright in their propaganda.

Check it out here to get an impression yourself:
Tesla Motors - Model S

webarchive.jpg

I made my Model S reservation on that page. While daniel is basically right, I was not left with a wrong impression and didn't feel any missing forthright. It is common for car ads to mention the base model price along with the top-of-line specs. You have to read the fine print, respectively you have to click on the next tab to learn that they plan to offer different ranges.

Only later I learned that EVs are a holy subject to some (called EVangelists) and that they hold higher morale standards to everybody involved in the field of electric transportation :biggrin:

Absolutely!

Check it out here to get an impression yourself:
Tesla Motors - Model S

View attachment 9929

I made my Model S reservation on that page. While daniel is basically right, I was not left with a wrong impression and didn't feel any missing forthright. It is common for car ads to mention the base model price along with the top-of-line specs. You have to read the fine print, respectively you have to click on the next tab to learn that they plan to offer different ranges.

Only later I learned that EVs are a holy subject to some (called EVangelists) and that they hold higher morale standards to everybody involved in the field of electric transportation :biggrin:

I couldn't agree more. I have been reading posts on here for around a week now, and whilst there are many good, worldy and amusing folk on here, I do get the impression that some people have never bought a car or indeed any product before..... really, some of you were "taken in" by "misleading" advertising? I don't think so. Nobody is that naive, well nobody I have ever met anyway. I will say again what I said last week, Tesla is a COMPANY. A company trying to do good things, but they don't owe anyone free maintenance or adverts made by flower-power hippies. If you can't afford a high-end luxury car, then don't buy one! Wait for Gen 3 or whatever you call it. I probably will, I don't think I can run to a Model S at the moment.... but I am not blaming evil Tesla for this, because like most people, I make reasoned decisions based on what I learn. I read that advert a few years ago, and made the assumption that there would be cheaper versions, and more expensive versions etc. because it is a CAR. A CAR made by PEOPLE in a FACTORY. As an aside, building Model S with a (shock horror!!!) profit margin means that "Gen 3" CAN be built. They can't make anything at all if they don't make money. I can't afford a Model S currently, but I am glad other people can.

Yep. There were a few people fuming mad saying that Tesla basically lied about the specs and that they could get the 300 mile range car with 0-60 in 5.6 seconds for $50,000. They were a little loose on the wording and placement of an asterisk next to some things in the beginning but nothing sinister.

I'm hoping Tesla has learned a little and to be more clear when it rolls around to Gen III time.

jimbakker666, he's the one I remember most vividly! The 5.6 seconds is an issue I suppose since it doesn't say 0-60 as quick as 5.6s...

Yep. There were a few people fuming mad saying that Tesla basically lied about the specs and that they could get the 300 mile range car with 0-60 in 5.6 seconds for $50,000. They were a little loose on the wording and placement of an asterisk next to some things in the beginning but nothing sinister.

I'm hoping Tesla has learned a little and to be more clear when it rolls around to Gen III time.

I've got a FREE phone to sell those people! :biggrin:

This is America and we are advertised to all day long. There have been lots of market research to prove that you MUST advertise in the way that Tesla has done. It's normal. In many ways it's what we all expect. We all recognise when a company is pushing it and trying to trick us. Tesla is just advertising their strongest points out front. There is no intentional sleight of hands going on with them. They are a business that is working hard to become a successful profitable business making a revolutionary product that has never been seen before.

I can understand people getting mad at them. Tesla has gone out of their way to create a "family/friendship" attitude with their customers. When they change the rules, as they must as a new business, it becomes a personal affront. The reality is that they are still a growing business and ultimately they will treat you as a customer, not as a friend. However much we can wish otherwise.

I'm not mad at Tesla. I love Tesla and my Roadster. But I do think that in the long run misleading advertising is counterproductive. This is a new kind of product and the general public (people who are not already EV enthusiasts) don't know what to look for or what to expect. Hey, year after year they believe politicians' promises, even though the politicians never keep their promises!

Right now Tesla is making a low-volume product aimed mainly at people who already know about and want electric cars and can afford a high-end product. But their vision for the future is to mass-market a car to the general public. They are initiating a whole new idea of customer-friendly sales and service, and part of that should be open advertising. The important distinctions should be in the same typeface as the hype, not hidden in small print or non-contrasting shades or behind several levels of tabs.

Deceptive advertising is the norm. I'd like to see Tesla buck that norm the same way they're bucking the paradigm that cars need to have an internal-combustion engine.

Waiting for a Gen III Tesla is a reasonable strategy, but it won't be the same level car as a Model S. It's expected to be in the $30K to $40K range. You probably won't see all the same intriguing features found on the Model S. While the base price of the Model S seems reasonable, most buyers realize that they will need options that push the price up into the $70 to $90K range. If you are not someone who would normally buy a car in that price range, it probably does make sense to wait for Gen III.

Another strategy would be to wait for the 2014 model year of the Model S, giving Tesla some time to iron out the last few details. The risk in this strategy is that the Model S prices could increase. With a reservation number of 11,549 (delivery likely next summer) I'm hoping that any remaining details will be resolved.

Waiting for a Gen III Tesla is a reasonable strategy, but it won't be the same level car as a Model S. It's expected to be in the $30K to $40K range. You probably won't see all the same intriguing features found on the Model S. While the base price of the Model S seems reasonable, most buyers realize that they will need options that push the price up into the $70 to $90K range. If you are not someone who would normally buy a car in that price range, it probably does make sense to wait for Gen III.

The bare minimum Gen III will be either $37,400, if the $7500 tax credit is still around, or less if it isn't. Following the Model S strategy, a loaded Gen III Signature Performance should max out at $75K-ish. I'm hoping to get one for around $55K-ish. I'm likely wanting max battery pack and a few extras.

Another strategy would be to wait for the 2014 model year of the Model S, giving Tesla some time to iron out the last few details. The risk in this strategy is that the Model S prices could increase. With a reservation number of 11,549 (delivery likely next summer) I'm hoping that any remaining details will be resolved.

Smart move. Many early issues will be resolved and most kinks will be worked out. There should be no recalls and a lot of the software and interface will be fine tuned.

If the profit margins are there as Elon has repeatedly said they are then I don't see any price increases in the Model S's future. There are hopefully lots of people out there just waiting on you early adopters to prove the value of the platform before they jump in and buy. I'd say 10K are needed for 2013 and by 2014 I'd like to see 25K more.

Waiting for a Gen III Tesla is a reasonable strategy, but it won't be the same level car as a Model S. It's expected to be in the $30K to $40K range. You probably won't see all the same intriguing features found on the Model S...
Not everybody likes "features." At plug-in day yesterday there was a fellow who drives an iMiev. He loves it. He considered a Leaf, but preferred the less-featured, and therefore less-expensive car. I much prefer a simpler car. I want electric propulsion, and I want comfort. Good handling is nice, and some sort of sound system is nice. I don't need the fancy do-dads.

Not everybody likes "features." At plug-in day yesterday there was a fellow who drives an iMiev. He loves it. He considered a Leaf, but preferred the less-featured, and therefore less-expensive car. I much prefer a simpler car. I want electric propulsion, and I want comfort. Good handling is nice, and some sort of sound system is nice. I don't need the fancy do-dads.

Sounds like me I turned down a replacement Jetta TDI (after my Jetta TDI was totaled) because it had a sunroof and navigation system, and the base price was already substantially increased from when I purchased one 18 months prior. I ended up getting a GTI (which to be fair is a upgraded Sport Golf), and well it has exactly zero options on it. I generally do not like navigation systems, they don't really know local roads and generally give you a decent route, not a good one, but generally also not a bad one.

My wife hates it when she is using her Garmin while I am in the car, because I constantly bring up alternate routes that are better, or less likely to have bad traffic (signals).

The bare minimum Gen III will be either $37,400, if the $7500 tax credit is still around, or less if it isn't. Following the Model S strategy, a loaded Gen III Signature Performance should max out at $75K-ish. I'm hoping to get one for around $55K-ish. I'm likely wanting max battery pack and a few extras.

I agree, I am hoping for a GENIII with the largest battery pack and perhaps a couple options AND supercharger access for around $50k

Sounds like me I turned down a replacement Jetta TDI (after my Jetta TDI was totaled) because it had a sunroof and navigation system, and the base price was already substantially increased from when I purchased one 18 months prior. I ended up getting a GTI (which to be fair is a upgraded Sport Golf), and well it has exactly zero options on it. I generally do not like navigation systems, they don't really know local roads and generally give you a decent route, not a good one, but generally also not a bad one.

My wife hates it when she is using her Garmin while I am in the car, because I constantly bring up alternate routes that are better, or less likely to have bad traffic (signals).

That is funny. I have a GTI too and I love the car but because it is one of the upper level Golfs, there are hardly any options left except for the NAV.

I have the same problem. I am weird. I almost have eidetic memory for knowing where I am and how to get to where I need to go. It's next to impossible to get me lost. The whole Garmin/Google Maps thing baffles me. It drives my wife batty that I'm confident of how to get to places.

I'm hoping the touchscreen for the Gen III is much smaller.