Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying Delivery of Model S / Waiting until other options become available

Waiting Until 2013 instead of taking your earlier delivery option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To keep Bonnie happy, here's my on-topic post mostly repeating what I've said before: I voted "Yes, waiting b/c I want an option I can't get until then" for two options:

- Standard coil suspension (available in January) saving me $1.5K and (probably imaginary) future headaches with the air suspension
- Sunset Red (if Tesla gives a specific date for this; the latest I'll wait is February) - fallback's Blue.

Have been concerned about losing out on the federal tax credit if a regime change occurs in November (i.e. a Republican sweep of the House, Senate and the White House). I wonder if that tax credit repeal, if it happens, will be retroactive to cars purchased earlier in 2013 before the law passed.

- Standard coil suspension (available in January) saving me $1.5K and (probably imaginary) future headaches with the air suspension.

As has been noted in other off-topic posts in other threads, the skateboard design of Model S raises the cabin floor a few to several inches (I'll guess 5") compared to other cars. Because they didn't want the car to have a high roof (which is more Model X SUV/Minivan than sedan), I think they pushed the limit on low ground clearance. The air suspension gives you adjustable ride height to clear things like speed bumps, driveways, and snow, and yet still be low enough for looks and aerodynamics. With the coil suspension, they'll have to pick a single ride height, which will be some compromise on being high enough for ground clearance when going slow versus low enough for drag when going fast versus low enough to not make the car look too high.

I'd speculate that cars with the air suspension will get slightly better range than cars with the coil suspension - and be less likely to scrape bottom.

There - is that enough rationalization to bit the bullet? :wink:

apparently the gray interior (the one I chose, of course) is delayed until November as well.
I know these sorts of things must be a headache for Tesla as well, but damn, it sure forces some uncomfortable decisions after being teased with choices you find out later you can't have without delay (or at all in the case of the aero rims apparently).

apparently the gray interior (the one I chose, of course) is delayed until November as well.
I know these sorts of things must be a headache for Tesla as well, but damn, it sure forces some uncomfortable decisions after being teased with choices you find out later you can't have without delay (or at all in the case of the aero rims apparently).

That's understandably frustrating. Just have to tell yourself that it will hopefully all be worth the wait when it finally gets here. Part of the growing pains of being an early adopter.

I just checked the design studio and when you choose the grey leather now it no longer has the footnote about a delay. Maybe it's available at launch now?

Like non-air-suspension, I am concerned about other "standard features" being delayed because they are a big departure from the Signature cars. Like textile interior, no Tech Package, no Sound Studio package, or the Single Charger.
I think I also saw some rumor (can't find the link now) that some of the colors besides Sunset Red will not be immediately available for regular production cars, but that was unconfirmed.
We've seen one of the first 10 without the pano roof, so we know that is not delayed. Has anyone heard of other standard features being delayed?

Last edited:
I think I also saw some rumor (can't find the link now) that some of the colors besides Sunset Red will be delayed as well, but that was unconfirmed.

The Sunset Red is the only one not available at the start of GP. All other colors should be available when the Signature Series is done and general production cars are built.

Last edited: