Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defective white seating material?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to be showing the same issues as this Model X thread: Are your Ultra White seats defective?

May 2017 build, 11K miles. Driver seat seems to be showing this (but not too bad... yet?), and maybe the armrests (just a little bit so far). Not inspiring for long-term ownership. Emailed service for their thoughts. My guess is this isn't going to be easy to get a replacement, and honestly, they'd have to replace all the seats and door panels to prevent it from happening years in the future to the rest of the seats (since they are rarely used).

Anyone else seeing this? I think it only affects certain production time-frame vehicles.

aukLzjC.jpg

mPVN6Zw.jpg

Lkp3oJM.jpg

It is just the way it is. Blue jeans color transfers. U will have the same problem in any light color leather. In fact, it is worse on leather

You should get a rubbing alcohol to clean it. Read the car menu. It shows u what to buy

I have the same white seat. I use alcohol to clean the seats (exactly same location as yours) every 2 weeks. Takes only 10 min. I am able to clean it pretty well. Not perfect but I have to look very hard to see the color.

Also, on the day I wear a new jean, I just put a small white towel on the edge of the seat. It helps avoid color transfers

It is just the way it is. Blue jeans color transfers. U will have the same problem in any light color leather. In fact, it is worse on leather

You should get a rubbing alcohol to clean it. Read the car menu. It shows u what to buy

I have the same white seat. I use alcohol to clean the seats (exactly same location as yours) every 2 weeks. Takes only 10 min. I am able to clean it pretty well. Not perfect but I have to look very hard to see the color.

Also, on the day I wear a new jean, I just put a small white towel on the edge of the seat. It helps avoid color transfers
While I do have some blue dye transfer on the seats, the scattered gray dots are something different and are on both the upper and lower seat cushions, so it's obviously not from jeans.

I'm in the fabric business and it always cracks me up how when blue jean dye bleeds on the white material (which my car has, as well) that everyone blames the "defective" white material........

Did anyone ever think to blame the blue jeans???
Unless he was wearing a denim jacket a lot, I don't think it is just dye transfer, as his pictures show the same marks on the middle of the seat back.

I actually had a similar issue in my 2016 MS with black interior. It appeared that the top coat/finish began to wear off (turning it gray) in areas that had frequent contact/rubbing, particularly on the side closest to the doors, presumably from getting in and out.

Unless he was wearing a denim jacket a lot, I don't think it is just dye transfer, as his pictures show the same marks on the middle of the seat back.

I actually had a similar issue in my 2016 MS with black interior. It appeared that the top coat/finish began to wear off (turning it gray) in areas that had frequent contact/rubbing, particularly on the side closest to the doors, presumably from getting in and out.

That is true, however wear and dye transfer are two completely different issues. Now the white PU material has a completely different topcoat system than the black vinyl & leather, but it can still wear. Denim dye transfer can happen regardless of topcoat integrity.

The majority of my dye transfer is down towards the bottom of my seat behind my knees. Typical wear will show in the side bolster which gets rubbed the most when getting in and out of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz