Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedicated storage spot for UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I got lost somewhere along the path of this discussion, but isn't having a cable at stations only really inconvenient when you drive 80 miles to visit your parents or sibling for the day? The UMC is an absolutely necessary item, isn't it? Isn't there an adapter that would fit the SAE connector (US) if we plan on using public charging stations?

Maybe I got lost somewhere along the path of this discussion, but isn't having a cable at stations only really inconvenient when you drive 80 miles to visit your parents or sibling for the day? The UMC is an absolutely necessary item, isn't it? Isn't there an adapter that would fit the SAE connector (US) if we plan on using public charging stations?

If you go to a public charging station such as the ubiquitous SAE J-1772 outlets you don't need to bring a cable or UMC with you. You just need an adapter where it plugs into the Model S (or Roadster). The UMC is generally for regular plugs like the common 110v or 220v appliance outlet that don't have a pilot signal like a J-1772 station has.

Dave's way seems correct, Robert. It would be inconvenient to have to use the full UMC all the time even at J1772 stations. A small adapter that plugs into the front of the J1772 pins and then "feeds the monkey" (recall TEG's pic from circa October) in the Model S makes practical sense.

I've reread the description on the options pages and I believe it to be just poor wording in an effort to reduce word count. I can't see having to use the entire UMC at a J1772 station. Also, if all three adapters are hardwired to the UMC, how would you get one of the other adapters that Tesla says they will offer to work?

I thought there was going to be a small J1772 adapter too so you could leave the UMC at home. Otherwise, it would be difficult to use the J1772 public charging stations.

I've always understood it to be that way. UMC in the car for trips where you can plug into any receptacle and male:female adapters (J1772:Tesla) to fit plugs so that you can use J1772 chargers.

I've always understood it to be that way. UMC in the car for trips where you can plug into any receptacle and male:female adapters (J1772:Tesla) to fit plugs so that you can use J1772 chargers.

Second that. Took delivery yesterday and was advised by my wonderful DS during orientation to leave the UMC at home for daily driving as you don't need the UMC for charging at public charging spots, just take adapters with you. However, on long trips do take the cable and the adapters with you. Hope this helps.