Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my 60 is more efficient or something. 39k miles still get 176-178 on 90% and 196 at full. If I run the numbers that means you should be getting 249 at 90% and 277 at full. Just the percentages dividing my number by 60 then multiplying by 85. I was getting ready to get another MS, but if those are the numbers for the 85, I should just look for another 60 as I have never had a problem with range on my car. Just seems more efficient and cost effective.

1) redo math assuming only 90% of 85 or 60 kWH available.
2) then figure 60 will have weight reduction improvement of maybe 3 to 5%

that math synchs.

1) redo math assuming only 90% of 85 or 60 kWH available.
2) then figure 60 will have weight reduction improvement of maybe 3 to 5%

that math synchs.

Ok let me run through the calculation again. My car shows 176 miles at 90% capacity. I have 60kw. Someone has an 85kw capacity. that is 29.5% more. So if I multiply 176 times 1.295 then an 85 should show 228 at 90% and 253 at 100%. Based on a car that has roughly 40k miles on it. That seems a little closer to what people are posting. It may be a little less on a P85 model as I have heard they get less mileage also there could be a variance with 21" wheels vs 19s

Ok let me run through the calculation again. My car shows 176 miles at 90% capacity. I have 60kw. Someone has an 85kw capacity. that is 29.5% more. So if I multiply 176 times 1.295 then an 85 should show 228 at 90% and 253 at 100%. Based on a car that has roughly 40k miles on it. That seems a little closer to what people are posting. It may be a little less on a P85 model as I have heard they get less mileage also there could be a variance with 21" wheels vs 19s

Depending on tires, the 21" will always use a bit more energy than the 19".

My opinion is that comparing 90% capacity is meaningless because it's just an estimate which tends to change with each new software release. I don't stress over it.

I guess my 60 is more efficient or something. 39k miles still get 176-178 on 90% and 196 at full. If I run the numbers that means you should be getting 249 at 90% and 277 at full. Just the percentages dividing my number by 60 then multiplying by 85. I was getting ready to get another MS, but if those are the numbers for the 85, I should just look for another 60 as I have never had a problem with range on my car. Just seems more efficient and cost effective.
If the 60 uses similar efficiency constants ie 280 Wh/rated mile, this suggests more of the battery is available in a 60 vs an 85. 91.5 vs 87%

As an update, I had my annual service performed at home over a week ago. Since the service, my 90% rated range before vampirism sets in is 243. This is significantly better than the 218 I had a few weeks ago. My loss in range is now less than 1% in 2 years / 9500 miles.

No firmware change and no battery swap. It's definitely an interesting turn of events. Not sure how to explain it, but I hope this is something that remains and isn't an artifact of the work that was done. At one week, it's holding though unlike the 6.0 update reset that rapidly declined back down. If it lasts, I'll ask Tesla what exactly was done to get these better numbers.

On a side note, I'm happy to see the 90% charge is working out for a bunch of people. I hope we continue to see a good trend with that.

Last edited:
@walla2 - So that's the junk A pack that tesla gave you when yours failed? And it jumped 25 miles? Something seems fishy to me. Even when my Sig was brand new it used to charge to 242 - and that was in standard mode. Same pack now and it's down to 222 miles at 90%. Never seen anything like you describe.

Yes. It's my refurb A pack. I have a range trip soon and will see what happens. I was hesitant to post this but after holding a week figured I could do so the with asterisk that I am unsure as to whether it lasts or whether it's real. I hope it lasts and is a real solution to the range rating issue.

Yes. It's my refurb A pack. I have a range trip soon and will see what happens. I was hesitant to post this but after holding a week figured I could do so the with asterisk that I am unsure as to whether it lasts or whether it's real. I hope it lasts and is a real solution to the range rating issue.
Does service bill show something that gives a clue what they did? If not, could you ask? Seems weird they could cause such effect w/o hardware or firmware change.
r

FWIW my 2+ year-old MS at 32,000 miles with original "A" pack is consistently charging to 242 rated at 90% (it's been maintaining this since a few revisions ago of 6.0; it started initially reporting 242 in late revisions of 5.11 IIRC but never maintained that number after the update). Last Range charge showed 271. I WAS charging to 219 in the 5.9 and earlier days...

My guess is that there is some pack data that can be reset and may be affecting rated range calculations. The service center hinted that the engineers think the pack rating is being too heavily affected for some cars by this data and resetting it can give a theoretically better range.

Again, I plan on testing this in a week and will update this forum after that.

FWIW my 2+ year-old MS at 32,000 miles with original "A" pack is consistently charging to 242 rated at 90% (it's been maintaining this since a few revisions ago of 6.0; it started initially reporting 242 in late revisions of 5.11 IIRC but never maintained that number after the update). Last Range charge showed 271. I WAS charging to 219 in the 5.9 and earlier days...

I have about 36,000 miles on my A-pack and cannot get better than 221 at 90%. The most I ever got on a Range Charge when the car was new was 265, which is exactly, the "Rated" number, I believe.

What is your normal charging behavior? Charge to 90% daily or something less than that?

I have about 36,000 miles on my A-pack and cannot get better than 221 at 90%. The most I ever got on a Range Charge when the car was new was 265, which is exactly, the "Rated" number, I believe.

What is your normal charging behavior? Charge to 90% daily or something less than that?

90% every day. I've 100% charged somewhere between 10-20 times.

What flavor of 6.0 (assuming you're on 6) are you running?

I've got ~58k miles on my P85 ('B' pack); Last 100% charge was 243 rated miles. I honestly don't ever recall getting >248 but I had the car for several months before my first MAX RANGE charge. I usually only charge to ~60% since my commute is ~6 miles but I've supercharged ~100 times and I've charged to 100% ~50 times.

Typically charge to 55%, maxed charged about 5 times, never below 30 miles remaining & live in SoCal, after 17k miles did a full charge yesterday & hit 248.

Average 30 miles driving a day & 351 Wh/mi lifetime.

Last edited:

I'm right there with you. 222 @ 90%, 40 K, typically charge to 80%. 6.0.28

Some of this variability may be due to efficiency numbers when driving down to near-zero. Deep cycling the pack will trigger the algorithm to recalculate capacity. If you drive aggressively, you will not be able to pull the same kWh out of the pack than if you were to drive light footed. Thus, if you're really set on getting back those miles, I might suggest babying the car (30 mph) from 100% down to 'charge now' and then seeing how your range numbers are looking.

same here at 46,800.

I charge just enough to get me back home every day.. unfortunately that's almost a range charge with how cold it is these days.

My guess is that there is some pack data that can be reset and may be affecting rated range calculations. The service center hinted that the engineers think the pack rating is being too heavily affected for some cars by this data and resetting it can give a theoretically better range.

Again, I plan on testing this in a week and will update this forum after that.

Still getting the improved 90% charge rated miles after a week?