Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla tells me that they have confirmed that it's actual degradation for me, and that it is "as expected". This is even though there are plenty of people who are still at 270+ with more miles than I have, while I have lost 15 miles so far.

The degradation might be heat related. Are you normally parked in an air conditioned garage or outdoors? Do have an estimate of average ambient temperature? If you're usually parked in the heat you can slow down the degradation by lowering your SOC.

The Roadster people suggest starting from a 20-30% SOC, but this should not be strictly necessary. It may be inconvenient (might take too long, it takes 65 hours to charge from empty on 110V) to start from such a low SOC, so just start at as low as convenient for you.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11451-How-To-Balance-Battery

Basically a 110V charge to 100% and letting it sit plugged in a couple of hours afterwards should force the car to balance the pack. Or you can go with the other suggestions of just dialing down the 240V charge to minimum amperage for equivalent wattage if that's more convenient for you.

Then you can go back to your normal charging routine. You don't have to do this regularly, once or twice a year at most, when you suspect it may be unbalanced. Any range that you "gain" should mostly stay for the subsequent "normal" charge cycles (until eventually it gets unbalanced). There will be some drop from the number you see immediately after the 110V charge (that's the "best case" number), but the number you see in subsequent normal charge cycles after that should be higher than what you originally got, if it's really a balance issue.

Thanks! I'm trying this today. Just got home from Teslive. I'll report back my results.

BTW... is there a difference with battery balancing when charging to standard vs max levels?

The Roadster balances at the end of a Standard Mode or Range Mode charge, and the balancing happens faster in Range Mode.

We don't know when the Model S balances or how it handles balancing when charging to a lower percent SOC. It's a safe guess that balancing is faster after a 100% charge like the Roadster.

The degradation might be heat related. Are you normally parked in an air conditioned garage or outdoors? Do have an estimate of average ambient temperature? If you're usually parked in the heat you can slow down the degradation by lowering your SOC.

Overnight, I'm parked in a non-air conditioned garage. I would estimate the ambient temperature at 80. During the work day I am parking outside. I would estimate the ambient temperature to be 95.

Overnight, I'm parked in a non-air conditioned garage. I would estimate the ambient temperature at 80. During the work day I am parking outside. I would estimate the ambient temperature to be 95.

I'd avoid parking in the sun if possible, and drop your SOC to the lowest range you feel comfortable with.

At TESLIVE I noticed the Roadsters are a lot more aggressive in active cooling than the Model S. The charging Roadsters all had their ACs screaming to keep the battery temperature down while the Model S' compressors never seemed to come on.

I have 4.5 .54 SW... did a standard charge at 12AMPS. Stopped at 232. I don't have a clue if this is good or not. Any thoughts or do I need to max charge it?

A 90% charge is about 238 miles. You're pretty close, I wouldn't worry about it.

At TESLIVE I noticed the Roadsters are a lot more aggressive in active cooling than the Model S. The charging Roadsters all had their ACs screaming to keep the battery temperature down while the Model S' compressors never seemed to come on.
Was the ambient temperature hot or not during that time? The Model S pack has a lot more surface area that's outside near the ground and that may change the cooling requirements.

Was the ambient temperature hot or not during that time? The Model S pack has a lot more surface area that's outside near the ground and that may change the cooling requirements.

It was low 80s, and certainly not a scientific study. Anecdotally though, we had a lot of forum members notice the battery heating over the winter and it seems odd there have been few reports of battery cooling this summer. Either it's a really quiet and low energy AC compressor, or the whole BMS temperature range is shifted up compared to the Roadster.

Hi all - so my car has 4200 miles and I noticed that over the past week my rated range has dropped. Used to say 241-243 miles after a std charge. Now, it's showing 236. Is that degradation in play? Only 4200 miles...

I've seen a similar change - I have about 7000 miles on mine and the rated range in the morning (with a standard charge) recently dropped from 239 to 228 miles. 239 miles is 90% of the EPA rated range of 265 miles, and 228 is 86% so that's 4 percentage points decline in 6 months which is a little disconcerting. Or it could be a result of some kind of recalibration after going to v 4.5 of the firmware. I didn't notice if the decreased mileage started right after the upgrade or not.

Is this common? Tesla any feedback?

I've seen a similar change - I have about 7000 miles on mine and the rated range in the morning (with a standard charge) recently dropped from 239 to 228 miles. 239 miles is 90% of the EPA rated range of 265 miles, and 228 is 86% so that's 4 percentage points decline in 6 months which is a little disconcerting. Or it could be a result of some kind of recalibration after going to v 4.5 of the firmware. I didn't notice if the decreased mileage started right after the upgrade or not.

Is this common? Tesla any feedback?

The standard charge definitely changed between 4.4 and 4.5, so comparing them is pretty useless. If you want to check if you've had degradation, you really need to do a range charge.

From a source inside Tesla in their software / product group with respect to *rated* range:

"you can just not calculate from this % information back to rated miles without a lot of other coefficients."

From a source inside Tesla in their software / product group with respect to *rated* range:

"you can just not calculate from this % information back to rated miles without a lot of other coefficients."
Yep. Since there is not any way yet to get a CAC value for a Model S, you might as well use a ouija board to see what your degredation is.

I have noticed that the percentage bar and rated range vary a bit(sometimes by as many as 10 miles of rated range at a certain percent value), for each charge. Point being that rated range is a complex calculation taking many variables into account. Unless the rated range drops substantially, deriving a degredation amount from it is impossible.

Thanks! I'm trying this today. Just got home from Teslive. I'll report back my results.

I gained 3 miles back on a standard charge! Yippie.

To battery balance my car, I did a full range charge last night on 110v and i got back a 3 mile increase on a subsequent standard charge of my 60kwh car. It has 9700 mi on the odo. I'm now at 185 mi instead of 182 mi on a standard charge using firmware 4.4

Interesting observations during the full range charge using 110v:

- the car topped off showing 199mi

- the car's charge port ring stopped blinking/pulsing when it reached 199mi but the car proceeded to continue to charge for over an hour. I presume the battery balancing was occurring during this time.

I'm absolutely thrilled that I now know how to rebalance my battery when std range starts declining over time.

Note that in order to more quickly do the full range charge I first did a standard charge on 40a 240v. Then, did a slow range charge using 110v plug

How many rated miles did you start with when doing the 110v charge.

Odd that you topped off at 199 mi doing a full range charge. That's a number I've never seen or heard of before on a 60. On 4.4, I thought the bug in the firmware was that 197 would be the max rated miles displayed even when the battery was fully charged. The two or three times I range charged before installing 4.5, the car continued to charge for some period of time after hitting 197 rated miles, and then when I began driving I would normally drive for 10 or so miles before the rated miles would decline. I haven't done a range charge since installing 4.5 so don't know what the max rated miles will show, although I've read others getting numbers around 203-05.