Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if maybe your car is cooling the AC/DC inverter, which could have its own heat rate from an outlet?

I really don't know. When I first plug in, it's quiet. Then as time goes on, after a couple of hours, I can hear a very faint fan noise. This gets louder as charging continues, but never as loud as it is at the Superchargers. This doesn't happen in the winter time, only in the spring and summer when ambient temps are above 90.

I really don't know. When I first plug in, it's quiet. Then as time goes on, after a couple of hours, I can hear a very faint fan noise. This gets louder as charging continues, but never as loud as it is at the Superchargers. This doesn't happen in the winter time, only in the spring and summer when ambient temps are above 90.

Variable noise levels are perfectly normal. The heat pump/air conditioner in the Model S has variable speed fans and a variable speed compressor to be efficient. Everything gets louder the more heat needs to be pumped out of the car. A nicely warmed battery and max speed Supercharging at high temps can go beyond what the heat pump can handle. There have been a few reports in the SW Desert on a hot summer day of folks getting a reduced charge rate while the heat pump runs flat out. To avoid overheating the battery, the charge rate is reduced.

I believe that the Model S circulates the coolant not only to heat or cool the battery but to keep all cells at the same temperature all the time. Even when the car is not charging at all, the coolant pump starts to run here and there for a little. I think that is one of the key things to keep the battery happy and healthy over the years, making sure there are not differences in temperature between the cells. Differences in temperature would make them age and behave differently.

I wonder if maybe your car is cooling the AC/DC inverter, which could have its own heat rate from an outlet?

The on board chargers are liquid cooled. I will usually hear a soft noise when charging at home which I assume to be a circulating pump. This same noise may be present when I supercharge, but the outdoor ambient noise is likely drowning it out. I have yet to hear louder sounds at a Supercharger, but can definitely hear the a/c if I've turned it on with my mobile app when it's parked outside at work.

Recently, it's been suggested that comparing Ideal Miles might be a better gauge since, apparently, firmware updates have been tweaking the Rated Miles calculation over time.

For some reason or other I "lost" a couple of Rated Miles after a road trip and they haven't "come back" as of yet. At 90% SOC I am seeing 216 Rated Miles and 244 Ideal Miles. Prior to my road trip I was seeing about 218 Rated Miles, but even that is down significantly since my car was new.

I have really not looked at Ideal Miles over the years, because it does not provide much practical value in day-to-day use. If I do a linear extrapolation, 241 Ideal Miles at 90% would equal 271 Ideal Miles at 100%. I'm not sure, but I thought the S85 was supposed to get 300 Ideal Miles when new.

I have really not looked at Ideal Miles over the years, because it does not provide much practical value in day-to-day use. If I do a linear extrapolation, 241 Ideal Miles at 90% would equal 271 Ideal Miles at 100%. I'm not sure, but I thought the S85 was supposed to get 300 Ideal Miles when new.

Correct, Ideal doesn't provide much practical value. However, I've found that extrapolating Rated to Ideal never matches, sometimes it's close and sometimes it's somewhere overseas.

Correct, Ideal doesn't provide much practical value. However, I've found that extrapolating Rated to Ideal never matches, sometimes it's close and sometimes it's somewhere overseas.

I rarely do 100% charges, but will note both Rated and Ideal next time I do, but what I was trying to do was extrapolate 90% Ideal to 100% Ideal. I just don't know if the relationship between SOC and Ideal Miles is linear.

I've recently completed several long distance drives and cycled the battery from 100% down to zero once, and from 100% down to 4 miles once, and a third time from 100% down to 8 miles. I have not regained a single rated or ideal mile by exercising the full range of the battery as some have suggested. I have a B battery that just doesn't seem to care! lol

I've recently completed several long distance drives and cycled the battery from 100% down to zero once, and from 100% down to 4 miles once, and a third time from 100% down to 8 miles. I have not regained a single rated or ideal mile by exercising the full range of the battery as some have suggested. I have a B battery that just doesn't seem to care! lol

Must be user error then! LOL
What is the miage on your car and what's your 100% range?

Must be user error then! LOL
What is the miage on your car and what's your 100% range?

Mileage is about 27,400 miles and 100% charge w/ Range Mode off is 255 miles, with Range Mode on it is 257 miles. Ideal miles are 295 w/ Range Mode off, 297 miles with Range Mode on. Car was kept at 50% nominal charge for most of its first year before I switched to 90%.

Mileage is about 27,400 miles and 100% charge w/ Range Mode off is 255 miles, with Range Mode on it is 257 miles. Ideal miles are 295 w/ Range Mode off, 297 miles with Range Mode on. Car was kept at 50% nominal charge for most of its first year before I switched to 90%.
Sounds pretty normal for that age/mileage. Mine is a tad older but a tad fewer miles, and my 100% also 255. I've seen a lot less variation in rated miles at various charge levels. I think theyve improved algorithm so calibration is not so impactful as it used to be.

@BB I'll check the survey, thanks for the link.

From Firmware 6.2 thread yesterday:
At 90%, I have been at 362km (227mi) for the last few months, including on 101.*. Today with the 100% charge, Remote S shows the car is currently at 405km Rated (253mi) and 468 Ideal (293mi), 18 months old and 45,400km (28,375mi). New, from memory, was 425km (264mi) Rated on the car's display. I never did really look at the Ideal. So that's a little over 4% loss on Rated.

My experience yesterday with Rated Miles and battery degradation after 18 months and 45,400km (28,375mi): Charged to 100%, Remote S showing "0%" for about 30 minutes and 405RKm. We then decided to go so there may still have been some battery balancing going on, not sure. When I got into the car, the RKm showed 402, Ideal: 468 (about 4% loss from new, 425Rkm)

But wait!!! Inexplicably, after driving about 1km I happened to notice the RKm jump to 409. Then it stayed at 409 for the next 7km (I watched). So if you do the rose-coloured-glasses math, that would indicate a "more accurate" 100% RKm as 416, or, a 2% loss.

My range happiness measure has now fully moved to "does the car have enough range and are there suitably-spaced superchargers to handle my daily and long-distance travel driving needs?", and I will be ignoring the nit of the actual completed charge numerical total. They'll change it in 7.+ anyway!!

Re our (what ended up to be) 380km trip with four people no luggage, I "semi-hypermiled" meaning I put the car in range mode and kept the energy meter under 40 usually and under 80 on red light starts etc (still left everyone in the dust). And that's about all I changed: left the A/C on to continue being comfortable on a 28-35C day, set the cruise control for about +5 speed limit, usually 95km/hr (actual speed: +2km/hr over limit, since my speedometer measures about 3km/hr under consistently, according to those auto-display traffic speed notifiers). I passed 50% of the cars, and used the odd burst for fun (to the delight of a BMW 5-series convertible driver, giving me a thumbs up); the other 50% regularly went by me estimated +15-20kph. 50km rated remained once back home.

Happy camper. No anxiety.

Nov 2014 picked up car with 185 at 90%. 5000 miles on the car. Now car shows 167 at 90% and 188 at 100%. Avg wh/m is 309. 21k on the odemeter. I charge to 90% each night. Getting concerned about the range drop.

That's a 10% drop in less than a year. If you keep your car charged to 90% most of the time, you likely wont' have much calibration error. Can you report your ideal mile rating, and would you know how that compared when new?

Nov 2014 picked up car with 185 at 90%. 5000 miles on the car. Now car shows 167 at 90% and 188 at 100%. Avg wh/m is 309. 21k on the odemeter. I charge to 90% each night. Getting concerned about the range drop.
That seems consistent with my experience. I normally charge to 80%, or 90% in the winter. At my car's 1 year anniversary in June, it had 169 miles at 90%, or 150 at 80%. Now it's getting 137 at 80%. Last winter, after charging at 90% for a while, it regained about 7 miles to 174. I've never charged to 100% and expect most of the gains will happen when I take a ~3600 mile road trip next year with lots of high and low SOCs to help calibration.