Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN changed today from 5YJSA1CP5DFP29459 to 5YJSA1H18EFP29459 for late Jan or early Feb delivery. I specified a 2014 model year.

S 85 kWh Pearl White, Pano Roof, Tan Perf Leather, 19" Silver Cyclones, Obeche Gloss, Spoiler, Red Calipers, Tech, Parking, Fog, Hi Fi, Lighting Pkg, Sub Zero, Alcanntara, Extended Napa.

From another thread...

New to me:
- description of 3 in digit 6
- descriptions of H and S in digit 7
- descriptions of 1 and 2 in digit 8
- descriptions of digit 12 values (previously we made apparently accurate guesses)

What about a '2' in digit 6 as posted by kaju74 above? Europe only?
A '2' in digit 8 was according to the first couple of posts in this thread present in some beta versions?

What about a '2' in digit 6 as posted by kaju74 above? Europe only?
The PDF document didn't give us info for 2 in digit 6, but we've seen it on European cars. I can't recall if we've found formal language for that in other documents or not.

- - - Updated - - -

A '2' in digit 8 was according to the first couple of posts in this thread present in some beta versions?
I'm not sure what to make of that either. In the beta/prototype VINs, I had always presumed they were using that for internal revs/tracking but that they wouldn't use it for production vehicles. Now that we see it documented as meaning one thing, but have cars shipped with it clearly meaning something else... it's all very curious.

Wish I had more to share.

The PDF document didn't give us info for 2 in digit 6, but we've seen it on European cars. I can't recall if we've found formal language for that in other documents or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what to make of that either. In the beta/prototype VINs, I had always presumed they were using that for internal revs/tracking but that they wouldn't use it for production vehicles. Now that we see it documented as meaning one thing, but have cars shipped with it clearly meaning something else... it's all very curious.

Wish I had more to share.

Ok. Thanks for answering.
Is it known if that document is a replacement for the previous one or an amendment?
It's quite a difference between the two...

Logged onto my dash today and see I have a VIN. I opened the NHTSA doc (ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG9130.pdf) and a few things don't align. Specifically, my VIN starts as: 5YJSAA111EFP. If I break that down:
5YJ - Tesla as per NHTSA
S - Model S as per NHTSA
A - Hatchback/5Door as per NHTSA
A- ??? According to the NHTSA doc this should be a 1 or 2
1 -??? According to the NHTSA doc this should be a H or S (H, in my case)
1 - Single motor as per NHTSA
1 - Check digit as per NHTSA
E - 2014 as per NHTSA
F - Freemont as per NHTSA
P - Production vehicle as per NHTSA

Odd that the second A and first 1 do not line up. Have others seen this?

Logged onto my dash today and see I have a VIN. I opened the NHTSA doc (ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG9130.pdf) and a few things don't align. Specifically, my VIN starts as: 5YJSAA111EFP. If I break that down:
5YJ - Tesla as per NHTSA
S - Model S as per NHTSA
E - 2014 as per NHTSA

I just took delivery a couple weeks ago and my VIN begins with 5YJSA1H1XEFP so it aligns with the NHTSA document.

5YJ - Tesla as per NHTSA
S - Model S as per NHTSA
E - 2014 as per NHTSA

Typo on Teslas part i guess..
Just checked all the new NHTSA documents for Jan and Feb. Nothing new from Tesla.
(or maybe the extra A is for AWD, and you are the chosen one ;))

Typo on Teslas part i guess..
Just checked all the new NHTSA documents for Jan and Feb. Nothing new from Tesla.
(or maybe the extra A is for AWD, and you are the chosen one ;))

Fascinating...just checked today and the VIN is changed. Must have been a double-typo or something! New VIN is now 5YJSA1H11EFP. Crisis averted ;-) Although I did like that AWD idea!

Assuming the "check digit" is randomly assigned and can be anything?
It can be anything. It's some sort of checksum: you should be able to compute it from the rest of the VIN number.
It can't be "anything". It's a calculated result. It will always be one of these: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or X.

I built the check digit calculation portion of my spreadsheet using this as guidance...
Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... and checked every Model S VIN that was reported in the thread before I stopped paying attention. None of them had a mismatched check digit from my calculation.

You can find a copy of my spreadsheet here:
Decoding Tesla Model S VINs - Page 2

The 4th and 5th tabs have check digit calculation examples.

Edit: Something's weirded out on TMC. When you follow the link, rewind 1 post to #10. The direct link I included to #10 apparently jumps to #11. [Proof that "going to 11" isn't always a good thing.]

The 7th digit:

I see that its in reference to single and dual charging. Do the "DC" options mean it came from the factory with Supercharging?
Although it can be enabled at anytime and it obviously wouldn't change the VIN.

Last edited:
yayyy just got my VIN! Thanks to this awesome thread I was able to decipher it ^^

5YJSA1H13EFP43818

VINjoules.png