Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Steve J's and Elon's VIN's have a D in the "restraints" digit. The other Model S VINs (and Roadsters I've seen) posted have an "A" there.
Any clues?
That might not refer to the restraints. Digits 4 through 8 are for the vehicle attributes. Tesla can decide what information they want encoded in there. What's useful to encode is things that are options, not things that all the cars have.

5YJSA - Model S Sedan=SA
Observing the list in doug's initial post...
The 5 beta examples have "5YJSB" so perhaps it indicates that there was a fundamental change to "body type" between the beta #48 and RC #49.

I concur with the rest of your list. I also suspect the "A" for the seventh "digit" in the betas and the RC indicates that they don't have the production airbags, seatbelts, etc. Or it's something else entirely different like the air suspension.

Edit:

I went looking for difference between Discoducky's VIN # 48 photos and the recent test drive vehicles, but nothing stood out. The headlights looked like they might be slightly different but it's really hard to tell.
VIN48 at Bellevue (exterior)

Another option is that 'B' is the body for Signature and 'A' is reserved for Founders, since there is at least one physical difference:

Last edited:
Founder car #4 was in parking lot at Claremont yesterday. Only difference from above founder cars was a 3 in check digit and a 4 obviously as last digit. This car is red with no pano roof.
Sounds like Nancy Pfund's. If those are the only differences, I suspect that means she got a Perf model.
Taking A Spin In The Model S With Tesla Investor Nancy Pfund - Forbes

Looking back at....
Model S Deliveries Begin June 22 | Tesla Motors

I'm guessing the cars that went off for deliveries were out of sequence so they could do all the in-person folks in sequence.

Thus, something like...
#1 - Steve Jurvetson: red/tan, pano
#2 - Elon Musk
[? - ? @ Chicago: black, pano, perf wheels]
[? - ? @ Chicago: white, pano, silver wheels]
[? - ? @ Palo Alto: red, pano, perf wheels]
#3 - Jeff(rey) Skoll: red, pano, perf wheels
#4 - Nancy Pfund: red, body-colored, 19" wheels
-
#6 - Bill Lee: black, pano, perf wheels
#7 - Tim Draper: red/tan, pano, perf wheels
#10 - Konstantin Othmer: red/black/carbonfiber, pano, perf wheels

Update: I added a check digit calculator to my VIN spreadsheet.
From that I conclude: #4 has P in slot 8.

Update: Konstantin's video shows a sign with "OIO" or "010" on it. I'll assume it means he has #10.

Update: Draper's is #7 according to...

First 10 Tesla electric sedans hit the road | abc30.com
Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper was there to take delivery of Model S No. 7.

Update: Skoll has #3, according to Wikipedia which has a partial VIN # "P2/VINF003". Though the footnote link seems 'off'.
Jeffrey Skoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, assuming they mean "5YJSA1DP2CFF00003" the check digit is wrong.

Update: Greyed out reference to Skoll's Roadster that I misread originally.

Last edited:
The catalina white (release candidate) on static display at the Palo Alto event today:

IMG_2773.JPG

I'm not sure you answered my question...

Do we know for certain he got Model S F #3 as well?

Edit: Sidenote - I kinda wish we got to have as much fun with custom colors for the S as Roadster owners had.